PDA

View Full Version : My new MG42

weasel_master
04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
I just got a bunch of accessories and decided to take a few pictures while I had it out. It's cra marked with a couple nice WaA on it. The first trip to the range it had some feed problems but later found out I had a .308 barrel in it with 8mm feedtray and top cover. I was halfway to both calibers so I picked up the extras to shoot both. Hopefully school lets off soon so I can take it to the range and give it a workout.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1394.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1397.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1398.jpg

M1 Tanker
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Awesome Weasel, it looks damn good :) Another semi auto belt fed is born.

Have you decided on how you are going to finish the receiver?

Did ya change the nozzle and the cone too?

weasel_master
04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I have the nozzle and cone for both an 8mm and .308. At the range the first time we had the .308 nozzle, cone and barrel but 8mm cover and tray. I'm set now and have the parts marked so I can keep track of it easy. I think I am going to do a blue on it. Big Steve showed me some stuff he applied on a small part on his that looked nice. Are you going to get yours blued soon? I'm interested to see how it comes out. Other than blueing it, I just need some Tanker grip panels to finish it. ;)

turbothis
04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
awsome, i got parts coming this week to finish mine. might be ready by next week,i hope.

what fcg did you use? i am going cetme hammer and disconector.

weasel_master
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I used an AR fcg.

Darkwatch
04-11-2007, 12:10 AM
That's really stinking cool!!:thumbup: And another direction of collecting I can't do right now...no money and the wife would kill me:buttkick: But that is just cool, nice job!

wandering_ronin
04-11-2007, 12:30 AM
That is awesome Weasel!!!! Nice job!!

M1 Tanker
04-11-2007, 12:36 AM
As soon as I can get mine disassembled and blasted its going off to the bluers. This week would be nice.

Yeah yeah, I know on the grip panels. I've called my walnut supplier once a week for awhile and he still doesn't have the right stuff.

hunter_la5
04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
I am beyond jealous right now... that thing is AWESOME!!!

IMBLITZVT
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
That does look really nice! Who's AR grip? Who did your bolt? Did you get help with it or did you do it all yourself?

I really need to get going on mine but right now the money is going into a sand blaster and setting up my welder.

I think I might have to make my own grip stick, because I really do not want to do the AL one.

weasel_master
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
I bought the kit this past Thanksgiving and drove down to Big Steve's over spring break. He's got a nice shop set up in his garage where he helped me build it. He did the bolt mods and the gripstick. It uses the original stick with a few mods on it. I am pretty impressed with how it turned out. It was nice that Steve had extra parts too as it made it easier to figure out the feeding problems.

M1 Tanker
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Steve is making nice grips, he sent me some pictures. He sure does good work.

weasel_master
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Dang right he does. For being "Militant Asshole #1" he's a pretty friendly guy.

IMBLITZVT
04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Well I know exactly how I want mine modified. Maybe I need to get him to do some work for me.

IMBLITZVT
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Do you have any more pictures of the Grip conversion?

weasel_master
04-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm at school now so I don't have access to them. I'll check and see if he minds if I post them. It's nice to have the original stick not the big FAL ones.

IMBLITZVT
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I do not need detailed pictures, i just want to see it a little closer. Mainly the front attachment.

NavajoNPaleFace
04-11-2007, 03:36 PM
That is perty!

Great job, indeed!

weasel_master
04-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I'll try to remember to get you pics tonight.

weasel_master
04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
How do I take the rear sight pin out? Do I just use a punch or is there a certain way to do it? The knob is on the wrong side and interferes with the J sight.

weasel_master
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1399.jpg

M1 Tanker
04-12-2007, 09:59 AM
How do I take the rear sight pin out? Do I just use a punch or is there a certain way to do it? The knob is on the wrong side and interferes with the J sight.

YOu haven't bought the manuals yet have ya Weasel? You really need to get them from www.germanmanuals.com .

I'll see if I can get a video or some pictures today for you.

weasel_master
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll check them out. I figured out how to put in the J sight but realized I had the rear sight pin coming in from the wrong side.

SteelCore
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Noice build, man!

"For being "Militant Asshole #1" he's a pretty friendly guy."
-->Yeah, militant assh0les are like that. :)

weasel_master
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
YOu haven't bought the manuals yet have ya Weasel? You really need to get them from www.germanmanuals.com .

I'll see if I can get a video or some pictures today for you.

You get any pictures yet? I looked at the parts breakdown but still don't see what I have to do first. I'm going to be embarassed when it's something simple.

IMBLITZVT
04-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Lift the rear sight 95% percent of the way up. That is so its perpendicular to the receiver. Push the pin out with your thumb. Should go easy. If it does not come, left off a little more... if it does not go... raise it up more. It will jiggle out at some point.

weasel_master
04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Knew it was probably easy. Thanks.

wonderwolf
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
You gonna bring that down when you pick up the Sokolov?:worthy:

M1 Tanker
04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Sorry Weasel...I forgot :) Did you get it apart or do you need pics?

weasel_master
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I got it apart. Now when trying to put the bushing in the J-sight, I shot the pin onto the floor. Spent 10 minutes and can't find the dang thing. It's just not my day.

Wolf, if I don't swing down through IL first, I'll try to bring it with. Don't really want to drive through Cook County, IL with it though.

EDIT: Just found the spring. Hopefully I can finish it now.

weasel_master
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Got the dang thing on. WOOHOO!

gunner
04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Nice MG42. By the way. My FA Post Sample MG42 had trouble running with the .308 feed tray and cover. When I switched to 8mm tray and cover with .308 barrel and cone it ran like a champ. Now I am converting over to shoot 8mm also.

zoom6zoom
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Very nice. I'm currently cleaning all the cosmo off my kit and hope to get moving on it soon. Do these require US compliance parts?

M1 Tanker
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes they do zoom, ATF declared them a Rifle..not a firearm. There is a BATF letter on mg42.us.

zoom6zoom
04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the link - will have to do a lot of reading there. I'm working on a DP-28 as well; I'll probably have to make my own parts for that one!

Big Steve
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes they do zoom, ATF declared them a Rifle..not a firearm. There is a BATF letter on mg42.us.
Want to here something funny. Wise Lites Yugo was declared a Firearm. It's on MG42 http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=5042

Steve

MID
04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
If i had one of them.....
I take it hunting......... Because i can..... no cap limits for deer. AWHAHAHAHA

rustypirate
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
MID, check this out:

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

LostInTexas
04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
You guys are just plain sick, guess that's why I fit in so good around here!

:)

MID, check this out:

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

rustypirate
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Lol

MID
04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
LOL only six shoots. HAHa

YEa six shots the size of baseballs.

hunter_la5
04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
oh dear god

I don't know If I should think that's awesome because it looks like fun, or if I should shun that kind of hunting because it's unsportsman-like.....

.... the verdict is in. BADASS!

rustypirate
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
You should browse his site and check out the section on hunting feral cats with a mortar...

It is just ........ wrong!

but so very FUNNY!

g3shooter1
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Very nice!

weasel_master
04-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I took it out today to test fire it. I set it up to shoot 8mm and trimmed the spring until it didn't bind anymore. It has plenty power to feed the rounds. I shot 1 round at a time for a bit to make sure it was functioning fine. When I went to shoot two linked rounds I ran into problems. It would not advance the belt. Something is binding in the topcover. It happened on both 8mm covers I tried. The fit is pretty tight between the feedtray and cover. I think that's my problem. I didn't want to start grinding on the feedtray and I forgot my other one at home so I just shot it like a bolt action for a bit. Fun gun to shoot. The girlfriend even took a few shots. The AA tripod isn't nearly as unstable as I thought. I'm done with school Wednesday so I think I'll try to tinker more then.

How do you guys clean after shooting corrosive ammo? I've got to get somewhere right now so I just filled the bathtub up a little a have my barrel, flash hider and booster sitting in there with some soapy water for now. Do you dunk the end of the reciever in water and clean the bolt as well?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1413.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1409.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/weasel_master/IMG_1418.jpg

Big Steve
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Check how the feed tray closes Ryan. Make sure it comes down flat and not touching one corner first. I have had to tweak them some to make them fit right.
Steve

weasel_master
04-29-2007, 01:46 AM
When the top cover comes down, it hits the feed tray on the left back side before it closes all the way. It needs a little smack to close it completely and I think that's where it's binding. Like I said, didn't have much time to check as the sun was going down quick. I figure I can get out later this week. I'll look at the feedtray though too.

Longhorn789
05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice action shots dude...

You're making me wish I went ahead with my Yugo order from CAI...

Rampager
05-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice gun! I'm hoping one of those AA sights will fit on my CAI M-53 if I ever get it.

M1 Tanker
05-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Rampager, the Yugo M53 does NOT have the AA sight mount on the barrel shroud. You would need to obtain a mount and rivet it in place. Here is the difference.

weasel_master
05-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I took it out again to do some more fine tuning. I think after the next range visit I'll have it ironed out.

Big Steve
05-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I took it out again to do some more fine tuning. I think after the next range visit I'll have it ironed out.

Ha! that's what I said. About 20 trips later! Let me know where you are at with it.
Steve

weasel_master
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Well I think I figured out why it won't advance the belt. I closed the cover and tried to push a round in with my fingers. The part that grabs the belt was drooping, like on my german 8mm topcover. Once I lifted it and got the round in, it stayed up where it should be. I worked the topcover open and closed a bunch to mark on the feedtray where they were hitting. Going to hit the feedtray with a file and see if the clearance helps at all. I had a few misfires due to the firing pin spring and I may cut another 1/2 coil off the main spring to get more positive ejection.

I'll get some pics up later about where I sit.

Big Steve
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Have you had this thing out lately?

weasel_master
08-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Taking it out tomorrow actually. I finally figured out my feed problem. The Yugo topcvoer was 2mm too long so the feed mechanisms were too far back. I'll post how the range trip goes. I finally quit my night job so I have more time to shoot.

weasel_master
08-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Well I took it out again today. Set it up on the AA tripod so I didn't have to be bending over all the time. I loaded up a starter tab with 3 rounds. I finally got the feed issue fixed so it advances the belt fine. About half the time I would get a misfire. I tried a new firing pin spring and fixed that. I had a misfire ever 5th or 6th time but I'll fine tune that later.

The hammer has problems reseting still. It's no problem when I charge it by hand but when firing, it resets maybe half the time. Probably a little less actually. I would fire a round fine and then could feel that the hammer wasn't reseting. I don't know if it isn't cycling far enough but the spent shells are ejecting. I cut another half coil off and that didn't help. Before I cut anymore off I figure I better find out exactly what's wrong or at least get some ideas.

One thing I noticed that may be causing problems is when I charge it by hand. I can feel resistance when the bolt rides over the hammer which is to be expected. But between the bolt body and bolt head, if I let go of the charging handle, the bolt and handle stay back. If I push the handle forward the bolt will ride home. I was thinking maybe the cocking handle may be a little too long and binds on the hammer when I charge it. Maybe the problem links with the hammer not being reset.

I fired about 25-30 rounds through it. I had 3 different times where I could shoot all three rounds without stopping. About 2/3 of the problems/stoppages were from the hammer not reseting. The rest the spent shell would jam in the reciever just outside the barrel while another round was being fed into it. This is what led me to cut a half coil off the recoil spring to get it to eject everytime.

Any ideas on what to check for? I'm going to take it out tomorrow again and see if I can get it figured out.

M1 Tanker
08-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Have you disassembled the FCG to make sure everything looks alright? I wonder if the disconnector is jacked up.

Ya know the bolt is pushing the hammer down far enough to catch, or it wouldn't work at all. Mine pushes down the hammer too much, but it catches every time. Do ya know how to do a function check on a AR? Charge your 42 (empty of course) and squeeze the trigger. It should go click and fire. Charge it again, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear and then charge it with the trigger depressed. Now release the trigger. You should get a CLUNK sound and the hammer should still be back. Does it do that everytime?

You make a good point on the charging handle....thats easy to check. I'm not sure that would affect it shooting, but any binding is bad. You only need enough charging handle to grab the tab on the bolt carrier, the rest needs to go. That tab didn't get bent in did it?

Getting the recoil spring the right length might clear up some problems too.

weasel_master
08-05-2007, 11:33 AM
The first outting with it, it wouldn't reset the hammer. Only when charging by hand. It turned out the cocking handle was what was reseting the hammer. I've got it sitting out still while I'm cleaning it so I'll do a function check now. Didn't even think about trying that.

I've got a question on cleaning. When I'm done shooting I boil up a pot of water and pour it down the barrel. Then I pour some over the booster, flash hider and such. How do you clean out the inside of the reciever? It's such a damn tight fit it's hard to get in there very well. Do I need to clean inside the back end of the reciever where the bolt locks into the barrel as well? I just oil up the bolt and that seems to work fine.

weasel_master
08-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Everything looks alright. Did a function test and it was fine. When I shoot I can feel that the trigger doesn't "pop" at all like when the hammer gets reset. These things are a little tricky to get working. It's fun working on them though.

M1 Tanker
08-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I use brake cleaner to clean the receiver. Its the easiest way. The bolt, carrier, barrel bearing, nozzle and flash hider go into the ultra sonic cleaner. Best $180 I have ever spent.

How is your charging handle clearance?

weasel_master
08-05-2007, 12:21 PM
What cleaner do you have? I've got a birthday list made up and that's one of the things on it.

I checked the cocking handle without the grip on and it doesn't stick out past the cocking tab on the bolt. I tried it without the bolt in and it clears the hammer so the bolt is what is cocking it.

I've got one of Big Steve's grip frames and had trouble with the bolt smacking the hammer back so far and hard that it would simply hit the disconnector and not catch. He fixed it for me so the hammer is limited in it's rearward travel as to not hit the disconnector. I've got an extra spring I'm going to cut down some and see if that helps at all.

When charging the rifle without the recoil spring it's pretty smooth. With it in though I can feel some extra friction. I thought it was the carrier hanging up on the hammer but not so sure now since it was fine without the spring. If I wiggle the buttstock just right, the buffer drags on the inside of the extension. That's something else I'll have to look at when I take it out today.

M1 Tanker
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Here is the one I have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91957

Its even on sale.

One thing I did was buff the bottom of my bolt carrier and that helped. Are you lubing/greasing/oiling the crap out of it?? that'll help.

weasel_master
08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Nope I didn't lube it a whole lot. I'll make sure everything is slick and test it out. I'm heading out within the hour to test it out. Thanks for the help.

M1 Tanker
08-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Open the top cover and just spray in break free. Don't forget to do the top cover too.

weasel_master
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Well I got all set up and fired a single shot. It went off fine so I moved to 2 rounds. Both shot fine, the hammer reset and everything. Tried three rounds and got a click. Hammer didn't hit hard enough. I cycled it and tried the next shell. Didn't hit hard enough again. Tried the third shell and BAM!! and smoke. It pierced the primer.

When my girlfriend's brother was loading up the belt he used one of the shells that didn't go off. The primer was dented so the second hit must have been just enough to break through it. That kinda irked me but whatever.

Anyways I tried what you said Tanker and slicked it up good with CLP. I didn't try to trouble shoot at all today as it was starting to sprinkle. Maybe next weekend unless I get time after work this week.