PDA

View Full Version : mg42/m53 front sights

kevin
02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
My front sight is really difficult to get into raised position. I have taken it apart 2x now to try and get it smoother as well as raising and lowering it about 100 times with plenty of oil. I took it apart and cleaned/lubed it well. Anyone else have this problem?

Also what is the point of the plunger thing on the front sight that you can push in and out?

lima
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
The sight is held very firmly and is not designed to not close accidentially in combat without a bit of effort. It's a real solid snap open or closed.

The plunger locks the sight open or closed. There are two grooves in the piece of metal that hold the front sight. One for open, one for closed position. It should move freely in the receiver slot without binding against the sides of the receiver.

Have you taken the plunger and spring out of the sight post and cleaned/lubed everything well? Is it grinding/binding anywhere?

If you really wanted it loose, you could change out the spring or mess with the groove/plunger geometry.

Picture of the parts orientation here from oakrodent:
http://www.mg42.us/download/file.php?id=9803&mode=view

weasel_master
02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
As was said, they should be tight.

kevin
02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
im talking about the little bitty pluger thing right below the sight blade that is horizontal when the front sight is all the way up in position, i also took the little rod and spring out of the inside of the front sight

i basically took the 2 roll pins out and took the front sight off completely and cleaned and lubed it.