PDA

View Full Version : G3 wide handguard.

FullAssault
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I got my handguard in from Numrich today. Out of all of the mods I've done on my Cetme this one was the biggest PITA! I used up 5 sander heads and a stone getting this thing to fit. I like the grip and look of the new guard but it make it feel like an AR and it don't have that solid feel of the slim guard. I can't wait to shoot it to see how well it works.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2892/newcetmestock1.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/newcetmestock1.jpg/)

Smokehouse69
02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
:ttiwwop:

SA80Dan
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Pic looks great, FA. I'm very interested in doing this myself....nearly melted my hand on the weekend after putting 120 rounds through with the standard century cetme forearm....I'm a hold the handguard type guy.

Any tips/pics on what you had to do exactly would be much appreciated.

Dan

KidKalash66
02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Pic looks great, FA. I'm very interested in doing this myself....nearly melted my hand on the weekend after putting 120 rounds through with the standard century cetme forearm....I'm a hold the handguard type guy.

Any tips/pics on what you had to do exactly would be much appreciated.

Dan
I have no use for the early hg now that I have the wide one from Numerich. The heat from just 75 rnds on the skinny one was unbearable to hold... http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5755/g3009.jpg

FullAssault
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't have before pics but this is what I did.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6154/wgf001.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/i/wgf001.jpg/)

I started by using a small cone shaped stone to make my lines then with the coarse sanding heads I took the plastic coat off about an inch back from the front about 1 mm deep to see what was metal and was plastic. (this step is not really necessary and can be skipped, just start at 3/4th an inch and take it down to match your triple frame )
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9840/wgf2.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/wgf2.jpg/)

Then at 3/4ths of an inch back I took the metal down about another 1.5mm to fit the triple frame. You have to be very careful at this point because the metal is getting thin in spots.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3660/wgf1.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/i/wgf1.jpg/)

The open space was a small hole but it was very thin there so I opened it up and smooth it out.

after getting it down to where it almost fit I used the long stone to get everything even and did the finial fitting before I cleaned it up with a steel brush.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8397/newcetmestock3.jpg (http://img718.imageshack.us/i/newcetmestock3.jpg/)

Cyclops01
02-23-2010, 11:11 PM
It does look sweet!!!

Mike

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Nice, my Cetme looks like Full's,od green wide forearm,grip, but i put a new od green butt stock on mine,got my new stock from ptr91 for 12.00 ,i also have the G3 steel mags for it and i bought a surplus aluminum G3 cap for the end on my cocking tube

KidKalash66
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Did the same inletting on mine....

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
i used a dremel on the triple frame ring on my cetme, so i can change from wide green forearm to my all black set with wide forearm if i want

SA80Dan
02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Looks great FA, thanks for putting up those pics!

Is there anything else I need to order - does it attach using the same pin, for example?

Also, what is peoples take on the wide forearm with the bipod attachment - worth having that bipod, or not?

FullAssault
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Looks great FA, thanks for putting up those pics!

Is there anything else I need to order - does it attach using the same pin, for example?

Also, what is peoples take on the wide forearm with the bipod attachment - worth having that bipod, or not?

Nothing else needed, It uses the same pin.

rustypirate
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
The bipod makes for a stable shooting platform, but it also adds considerable weight to the front end of the rifle.

It is definately a cool addition to the rifle, but if I am shooting unsupported, or off of sandbags, I jst remove it to make the rifle lighter.

wwIIBuff
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a a bipod on my HK91, never had an issue with it. I will say this, I did not have any luck with aftermarket bipods, stick with HK, worth the extra $$

SA80Dan
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, I went ahead and ponied up for the wide handguard (black) plus HK bipod from RTG. Also have coming a Choate side folding stock and a G3 rear sight to fix my drunken Cetme rear sight.

Man, this cheap rifle is quickly becoming not so cheap! :icon_biggrin: Next stop will most likely be a low rail and scope.....

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Kwanger i hear you, i bought the wide od green forearm and grip from RTG , new od green stock from PTR91.com and have a low profile scope mount on its way for my cetme, bought some G3 steel mags and will get a HK bipod soon from RTG
but hey, if a cetme is even close to right they are alot of fun

SA80Dan
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, still cheaper than a PTR91 is they way I look at it - because even if I got one of them in the first place, I'd still have probably gone and bought at least some of this extra stuff!

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Kwanger, i liked my cetme so much after shooting it i bought a new PTR91F ,lol it now has a black wide handgaurd from rtg too. the ptr is still unfired
i love those wide handgaurds

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
you guys with the crooked sights will really like your cetme's after you get them fixed

SA80Dan
02-24-2010, 03:28 PM
you guys with the crooked sights will really like your cetme's after you get them fixed

Ha, I like it already...after all the stories you hear, the fact that it functions absolutely flawlessly is great! No doubt its accurate and consistent too....even though I was only at 25 yards, the groups were tight enough to rag a single hole in the paper. Just a shame the hole was in the wrong place :) If you are going to have an issue, crooked rear sight is probably one of the most minor ones, eh..

FullAssault
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, I went ahead and ponied up for the wide handguard (black) plus HK bipod from RTG. Also have coming a Choate side folding stock and a G3 rear sight to fix my drunken Cetme rear sight.

Man, this cheap rifle is quickly becoming not so cheap! :icon_biggrin: Next stop will most likely be a low rail and scope.....lol I have more in my stocks and accesssories than I have in my gun.

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Full i am getting close, will probley have as much or alittle more after i get a HK bipod and a good scope,ordered low profile scope mount yesterday . robert just got the tropical green stock sets back in, i ordered a set today, so now i have a all new od green set with wide forearm thats on cetme now , surplus green slim set,surplus slim black set, will have the tropical green set,when it gets here , wide black forearm is on my PTR
next will be wood and G3 slider

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
oh, my cetme stuff ,cheap stock,grip,cheap non heatshield forearm, backing plate/recoil assembly, bayo lug/cleaning kit tube are all put away

PX4Storm
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Ha, I like it already...after all the stories you hear, the fact that it functions absolutely flawlessly is great! No doubt its accurate and consistent too....even though I was only at 25 yards, the groups were tight enough to rag a single hole in the paper. Just a shame the hole was in the wrong place :) If you are going to have an issue, crooked rear sight is probably one of the most minor ones, eh..

Definitely true. Even though the 6 shots I fired after "adjusting" the rear sight were still very left, there were 3 ragged holes I could cover with a quarter. That's why I refused to send mine back to have THEM fix it, I was afraid I'd get one that took a barrel re-press or some silly crap to fix in exchange for my crooked sights. I cut mine off today BTW, receiver is bare on top back there, ready for my parts, hopefully by the weekend. Next after that is some old G3 wood. Then saving the pennies for the black w/ wide fore end and bi-pod.

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
befor you tack it or weld it down, buy or borrow a laser bore sighter and make sure its as straight as you can get it

GunnerSki
02-26-2010, 08:58 PM
New member on the forum and wanted to install a wide forearm on my CETME. I too ended up using a dremel tool to knock off the ring around the barrel behind the triple frame. Much more comfortable with the wide forearm. Also installed a low profile picatinny rail mount on the top with a BSA red dot sight. I am very happy with my CETME and it is off to the range this weekend to sight in.:2pistol:

Evilblackgunsrfun
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Gunner ,you can get a decent laser bore sighter from walmart for around 20 bucks and get your gun pretty close without leaving the yard

M1 Tanker
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
FullAssault, I went ahead and sticked the thread since you did a great job on pics. Thats what makes this forum great!

Rep power added!

FullAssault
02-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks! Happy to help!

SA80Dan
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Well I got my guard installed a few minutes ago, too. After some consideration of both methods, decided to go and grind the small offending triple frame ring ring rather than the guard.

Thought I'd post up a couple of pictures of what needs doing, so that anyone looking in on this thread can see what needs doing for both methods, and can make the choice as to what they'd rather do.

I started by reducing the ring down on the sides - was wondering if this would be enough to get the guard on:

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/Kwanger/P1030601.jpg

It wasn't - the bottom needs to be ground also, as the forearm pin will not go all the way through if you do not. Here's a pic of the bottom. Note, I also had to grind the knub that is present towards the bottom of the actual triple tree itself (as shown). I assume this serves as a locking tab for a Cetme guard; though it would for my G3 one too, but try as I might, I could not get the guard to go flush with this piece still in place, given that is goes on at a slight angle. Doesn't seem to be any ill effect from removing it - guard is absolutely rock solid, no play at all.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/Kwanger/P1030603.jpg

And here's a quick pic of the fitted item. Its very snug - nice and tight, and feels well solid - huge improvement over the cheapo Century "hand melter" - which really is useless in the extreme.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/Kwanger/P1030600.jpg

All that remains to do now is a bit of tidy up sanding and the painting / refinishing of the bare metal.

Don't know why, but to me this seemed the easier method to me. Funny how people prefer different solutions to the same problem, eh - guess its what makes the world go round - and what makes this forum great! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and tips on this thread!

Evilblackgunsrfun
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Kwanger,i ground my ring just as you did, the little nub i took about half of it off , i still have alittle over a 1/8 inch of it still sticking out from triple frame so i can put any forearm on i want and it will still be stable, i took off just enough to get pin in , i have tried my wide green,wide black ,both fit fine, and my various slim forearms all fit and dont rock.
i used a dremel on mine, and used a black touch up paint marker that i got from my local gun shop for 4.99 , it matches the cetme finish

Georro
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
New to these forums... I have had my CAI CETME for about 8 years and finally want to do some tinkering with it (haven't shot it for about 3~4 years).

About 7 years ago I welded a new G3 rear sight base to install the drum sight and that's solved my crooked sights/windage problem. (Unfortunately, I think I might have warped my receiver slightly but that's a separate problem I'm working out)
Now, I'm wanting to switch to more of a G3 clone and re-finish the crappy engine paint rattle can job I did after the sight base welding.
I'm planning to do Mag. Phosphate parkerizing and Duracoat "HK Black" over the top (I've parked my 1919A4, 1911, etc. so it should turn out pretty nice).

My list of planned mods for-now include:

Wide G3 Green Forearm from RTG with bipod
Green G3 Grip and Buttstock from RTG (with complete HK recoil assembly)
New G3 later-stype triple frame from RTG
Change "loudener" to US-made Flash Hider (also from RTG)
Possibly weld on a picitanny scope base to the receiver

The main issue with fitting a wide forearm seems to be grinding the CETME triple frame on the rear cylindrical protrusion so that the forearm fits and the pushpin rests on the top of the cylindrical protrusion.

My question is since I'm switching to a new-style G3 triple frame, I don't have the cylindrical protrusion for the pin to rest on. Do I need to weld a hanger on the cocking tube or is there something I've missed?

ctdemolay0405
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
quick question. what's that little clip next to the foot of the bipod. i see these on pics of the PTR/G3/etc all the time, just no clue what it is.

rustypirate
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
quick question. what's that little clip next to the foot of the bipod. i see these on pics of the PTR/G3/etc all the time, just no clue what it is.

That clip is for using the 3-point sling.
See here:
http://www.rifleslings.com/german_h&k_g3_sling.htm

ctdemolay0405
01-13-2011, 07:32 AM
thank you very much sir

rustypirate
01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
No problem, we have all asked that question at one time or another....

Georro
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Still wondering if anyone has an answer regarding the G3 triple frame on a CETME... will I have to install the hanger on the cocking tube to attach a wide handguard?

Buddymack
01-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Still wondering if anyone has an answer regarding the G3 triple frame on a CETME... will I have to install the hanger on the cocking tube to attach a wide handguard?

I think just like installing any furniture it is not necessary on the CETME, however I think it would be good to install one or make one that stabilizes that area a bit more the G3 had an obvious improvement over the CETME on this feature.
I think someone would have a market if they made a wide grip specifically made to go over the CETME site and the older style G3 one, I just purchased to the two new style sights to build the rifles with so I don't have to be concerned about it..
But I think there is a chance of rubbing without the hanger, the hanger gives a controllable sleeve to put the pin or screw through so to me it is an improvement.

Georro
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I think just like installing any furniture it is not necessary on the CETME, however I think it would be good to install one or make one that stabilizes that area a bit more the G3 had an obvious improvement over the CETME on this feature.
I think someone would have a market if they made a wide grip specifically made to go over the CETME site and the older style G3 one, I just purchased to the two new style sights to build the rifles with so I don't have to be concerned about it..
But I think there is a chance of rubbing without the hanger, the hanger gives a controllable sleeve to put the pin or screw through so to me it is an improvement.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Without measuring the parts yet, I'd have to say I'm worried that the pin won't have anything to rest on when using the new front sight/triple frame (no rear cylindrical protrusion).

I guess I'll find out when I go to install...

Georro
01-22-2011, 10:03 PM
As a sort of "phase 1" test, I modified the current CETME triple frame with my dremel to install the wide handguard. I pretty much had to remove the raised "rib" at the rear all along the bottom and sides to get the handguard to fit. I also had to use a round file to put a slight relief in the top of the cylindrical protrusion to get the pin to slide through.

The result is a rock-solid fit and it looks great! :icon_biggrin:

I also took the loudener off by dremeling it in half from the front and splitting it apart with a cold chisel as many on this site have suggested. Even so, it took the better part of 30 minutes to get it off. The new US made flash hider looks great on there. Now I just need to see how much that decreased the muzzle blast (which was substantial before).

After I make sure my bolt and cocking tube gap are in-spec, it's off to the range to test fire before diassembly, blasting, new triple frame installation, parkerizing & duracoat.

oldpaint0
01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
New to these forums... I have had my CAI CETME for about 8 years and finally want to do some tinkering with it (haven't shot it for about 3~4 years).

About 7 years ago I welded a new G3 rear sight base to install the drum sight and that's solved my crooked sights/windage problem. (Unfortunately, I think I might have warped my receiver slightly but that's a separate problem I'm working out)
Now, I'm wanting to switch to more of a G3 clone and re-finish the crappy engine paint rattle can job I did after the sight base welding.
I'm planning to do Mag. Phosphate parkerizing and Duracoat "HK Black" over the top (I've parked my 1919A4, 1911, etc. so it should turn out pretty nice).

My list of planned mods for-now include:

Wide G3 Green Forearm from RTG with bipod
Green G3 Grip and Buttstock from RTG (with complete HK recoil assembly)
New G3 later-stype triple frame from RTG
Change "loudener" to US-made Flash Hider (also from RTG)
Possibly weld on a picitanny scope base to the receiver

The main issue with fitting a wide forearm seems to be grinding the CETME triple frame on the rear cylindrical protrusion so that the forearm fits and the pushpin rests on the top of the cylindrical protrusion.

My question is since I'm switching to a new-style G3 triple frame, I don't have the cylindrical protrusion for the pin to rest on. Do I need to weld a hanger on the cocking tube or is there something I've missed?

The later style sight frame will work just fine and the wide handguard fits tight. HK free floated the barrel by redesigning the cocking tube to float in the triple tree and they added the hanger to support the handguard. The early CETME and G3's do not float in the cocking tube.

Georro
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks oldpaint0!

Since I'm installing the later style triple frame it seems I need to put a hanger on my rifle. Does it weld to the cocking tube?

oldpaint0
01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
The hanger does weld on to a G3 cocking tube, but you have a CETME cocking tube and do not really need a hanger.