PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on What to Do

BigBoy99
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I've been collecting German Class III weapons for almost 50 years and have some nice items. I have tried to collect as many of the accessories for each of them, such as magazine pouches, magazine loaders, loading tools, take-down tools, repair and cleaning tools, slings, belts, ammo cans, etc., etc.

Now that I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to have physical problems, I'm wonder what is the best way to go - to sell the weapon and all the accessories as a group or to split them up and sell them individually. Would appreciate any ideas or opinions of the topic. Thanks.

Bill

Otis61
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
If it were me I would first meticulously catalog everything. And I mean everything. With all the current prices. You may have already done this. Then as far as how to sell it it depends on how fast you need the money. If not a rush just do package deals. If you need the money now, split it up. I would think many obscure items would not sell well if they were by themselves.

wonderwolf
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
+1 on the cataloging absolutely everything. Then keeping a spare copy of that catalog somewhere very safe. Something I've seen time and time again is somebody getting on in their years decides to start to sell some stuff. Lets some people over to buy some stuff and word starts to really get out and they get broken into and everything is stolen or somebody gets hurt or both. I've been put in charge of selling of a very large collection for a widow and the first thing I did was catalog absolutely everything that was there and start putting prices on things.

You may want to set up package deals, you have class III stuff so something like a MG-34 with lots of links, the proper mount, cleaning gear and web gear, sights and what not. And sell that as a package deal. The purchaser may be interested in additional equipment as well. Just make sure you don't open yourself up for trouble. Ammo has really shot up especially 8mm so if you have much of that put back you may want to look at moving some of that as well. Set a firm very firm price, it may also do you good to call up somebody who has the purchasing power to buy all that you have in one swoop.

LostInTexas
02-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Don't sell the accessories until the gun sells. Give the purchaser of the gun the first shot. Have a price set before hand. This will also help keep your collection that you worked hard on and enjoyed together.

Good luck with the physical issues and hope those aren't too serious.

Smokehouse69
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I think the cataloging is a great idea, I'd also put what could be expected to get from the weapon considering current market rates and update it continously to stay current.
It is something that I am doing with my pitiful collection of firearms. I don't want some slicker to come in after I'm gone and lowball my heirs. :thumbup:

BigBoy99
03-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Appreciate the information post so far. I have been cataloging every item in my collection as soon as they arrive. I have itemized lists for each of the firearms, i.e. 3 spare fire pins, 2 extractors, 4 spare barrels, etc. Those lists are a description, history, special features, etc. of the items. Each item has been assigned a number and that number is on a tag on the item or in a plastic bag with the item. The computer list is sorted by the item number.

I have made arrangements with a trusted friend to assist my wife in its disposal if I pass unexpectely. He has agreed to a small percentage of the sale as payment for his efforts in selling the collection, so it is in his interset to obtain the best prices for the sales. Also, I've shown my wife where in the computer I keep the list of the items in the collection with the purchase amount and an approximate current value. This should be some protection for her so she will make sure a item valued at $1000 is not sold for $100.

KMURPHY
03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I was recently witnessed the selling off of a family members estate. My Aunts father passed unfortunately. It was mayhem , like blood in shark infested waters. I told them that I could assist in disposal if they wanted. They wanted money right now. They had some guys come in to look at it (they just happened to have lots of cash with them also, can't blame them as I would have done it in similar circumstances). They gave pennies on the dollar for everything. A shame. No one cared, they just wanted quick money. Firearms and parts blown out the door. I think many thousands of rounds of ammo also bought for almost nothing.
Finally, when I made it over there, it was picked clean and they started to "clean up". You don't want to know what I picked out of the dumpster... Garand op rods, bolts, old ammo cans, ammo etc. Barrels of USGI brass and M1 clips to the scrap yard. As well as everything else under the sun. They didn't know or care what it was, they just wanted it out.

Please continue this cataloging process even as tedious as it seems. Write down as much as you can for everything you can, even for the most trivial of stuff. Your system sounds like a good one. And at the end of the day, I am glad you have found someone close who cares about getting you and yours what it is worth (or as close to it as possible). I am in my 20s and now I am thinking about this often. Documentation is great not only for theft/insurance purposes, but for when we pass on as well. Sometimes our demise may not be expected.

jfowl31
03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I've directed my wife to come to this forum if God forbid anything were to happen to me. I'll catalogue it all eventually, but I told her you guys here wouldn't give her the runaround, and would not only offer fair prices on everything, but she could probably sell it all here as well.

Last thing I want is some money hungry local dealer coming in and cleaning house.

I've also showed her the ones I do NOT want sold, but passed on or given away to family.

robocop10mm
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Do not trust the computer to save the list. E-mail the list to yourself and a few trusted inidividuals. Even if the paper list disappears and the computer crashes or burns up the list still exists in cyber space and is retreivable.

97th Signalman
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Try Scott Weber of Gunrunner Auctions in Burton, Ohio. I have used him to both buy and sell guns. You pay a 15% commision and he handles everything. In the event of your sudden passing, he can handle the entire collection for your family and it will sell for fair market value to the highest bidder. Most of the items that he sells actually are from estates. He recently got a license to sell Class III arms. The news section on his site said:

Auctioning Machine Guns
We are now a Class III Dealer (full-auto machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, silencers) and will be auctioning these NFA firearms in 2010. As you know, these are HOT items right now given the loopy atmosphere at the head shed... If you have machine guns with the proper paperwork, you can send these to us and we'll put them in the "BUY IT NOW" section or monthly auction site. Call Scott at (440) 834-0160 for more details on this exciting addition to Gunrunner Auctions! Rat-tat-tat! Rock and roll!

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/

I keep Scott's business card taped inside the doors on my gunsafes and I have instrudted my wife to call him if the unexpected should happen to me. I also keep a detailed invnetory with history, values, photos, and descriptions of each and every piece in my collection. And, I keep it up to date and insured.