PDA

View Full Version : GLOBAL GUNMSMITHING - Ken Kubin

bladeworks123
07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Ken,

Just wanted you to know that we took the FAL you set up for me out to the range finally. It functioned flawlessly during an afternoon of breaking the new barrel in with German MEN. And when that was done, we fired it for groups and were getting sub MOA groups at 100 yards. 10 round groups you could cover with a .50 cent piece. Sights were centered almost perfectly, saying that the barrel timing is just as perfect. Not one malfunction, brass shows excellent retention of length. I am extremely happy with your workmanship and correct set up. You saved me a boat load of time and effort on this build. It came out 100%!!!

Bladeworks

Otis61
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Thats a really nice looking FAL.

Buddymack
07-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Man oh Man..my list is getting longer...

HKILLER
07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
damm nice gun.

k98k792
07-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks great!! Ken did mine also. Darn good builder!

Woodman in MO
07-08-2010, 04:30 PM
That does look pretty good. But man I can't decide if I like the looks of that butt stock or not. Is that just to cut down on weight?

bladeworks123
07-08-2010, 04:58 PM
You know Woodman, I wasn't real crazy about the looks at first either, and yes it's supposed to cut down on weight and some have told me there is a spare parts/tool kit thing that goes in there, however I have not found one yet. If it was a weight thing, it was only a mere 3 or 4 ounces probably, so if you could see me shake my head no while you heard me say yes, that would be the best answer I could give ya. I think the truth be known it was just supposed to be a uber cool thing, It's called the "X" stock if that helps confirm my theory. I'm not big into any plastic. The kid likes it though.

weasel_master
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I really like the looks of that. Ken does some good work.

drine
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
:rockon:Good looking rifle. I like the stock and color combo.

KMURPHY
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Ken did my L1A1 as well. Nice FAL.

Milsurp
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Looks great Blade. Glad to hear its a good shooter as well.

Planning
07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
your rifle looks great. thanks for the pictures.

ken k. does great work. he did ?? of my fals ( barrel the receivers, check timing, check head space, install the locking lug) and i have been very happy with every one of them.

we have a lot of really good talent on this site. i use them as my first choice every time.

ron

7.62guy
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
you and ken have performed well this week. i won't go on and on but that is a great job in my book.:icon_biggrin:

Airmedic6
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
What a great looking rifle! That does make one wish for one moreRifle in the case!

Global Gunsmithing
07-09-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks for the kind words guys

chili
07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Great looking FAL for sure!!

Buddymack
07-10-2010, 04:37 AM
I would like to see somewhat of a approx cost and build sheet on something like this is anything posted?

Planning
07-10-2010, 05:11 AM
I would like to see somewhat of a approx cost and build sheet on something like this is anything posted?

the building cost of a fal can very a lot from day to day.

receiver cost ($300 to $700+), depends on receiver manufactor. plus shipping, plus ffl transfer, plus sales taxes, etc.

parts kit cost ( $275 to $650+), depends on where the kit came from and condition. plus shipping, plus sales taxes, etc.

922r parts ( $100 to $350+) depending which parts are used and manufactor.
plus shipping, plus sales taxes, etc.

if you want it put together ken k. ( global gunsmithing) has a web site with cost for each thing done. plus shipping

you can buy one already made ( century)on the low end from classic arms for $650 or J&G for $700 ( century) to the high end $2500+
plus shipping, plus ffl transfer, plus sales taxes, etc.

way to many different ways to calculate the building of a rifle.

for an ak the cost is calculated the same way.

good luck.
ron

chili
07-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Glad I built mine before things got scarce and expensive.

Buddymack
07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
the building cost of a fal can very a lot from day to day.

receiver cost ($300 to $700+), depends on receiver manufactor. plus shipping, plus ffl transfer, plus sales taxes, etc.

parts kit cost ( $275 to $650+), depends on where the kit came from and condition. plus shipping, plus sales taxes, etc.

922r parts ( $100 to $350+) depending which parts are used and manufactor.
plus shipping, plus sales taxes, etc.

if you want it put together ken k. ( global gunsmithing) has a web site with cost for each thing done. plus shipping

you can buy one already made ( century)on the low end from classic arms for $650 or J&G for $700 ( century) to the high end $2500+
plus shipping, plus ffl transfer, plus sales taxes, etc.

way to many different ways to calculate the building of a rifle.

for an ak the cost is calculated the same way.

good luck.
ron

Thanks, I am starting to play with the idea of building one...I don't see any direct and recent samples to compare..
this night was a slow one at work so I got some research out of the way, the DSA seems more desirable as well as metric..
what I don't want to do is waste money, I know you can throw good money away not watching what your doing, Global seems to really have reasonable prices..
but I guess if I find a deal on a built one there is a good chance that the setup won't be as exact...
I am looking for my next fix "lol" these really have a nice STG 57 feel to them to me so I want to build one or attain one and do the furniture as I want..
but other than a trigger job what more could a smith do to an already built one?

Global Gunsmithing
07-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I your going to build your own, i would advise a Coonan receiver, the DSA`s barrel threads seem to be egg shaped, you`ll need a tap and some oil, other than trigger, a good barrel, headspace is critical, and a 11 degree target crown, as a rule these guns are not designed to be sub moa guns, but with a good barrel, right ammo and in capable hands, it can be done

Buddymack
07-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I your going to build your own, i would advise a Coonan receiver, the DSA`s barrel threads seem to be egg shaped, you`ll need a tap and some oil, other than trigger, a good barrel, headspace is critical, and a 11 degree target crown, as a rule these guns are not designed to be sub moa guns, but with a good barrel, right ammo and in capable hands, it can be done

Thanks a lot! I am using your info for my consideration,...who carries these receivers?

bladeworks123
07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Coonan Inc.

http://coonaninc.com/

Buddymack
07-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks!! those do look tight nice lines and it has a real military issue quality about them almost like a M1 or M14 does, thick metal and all ...looks like this will be a slow build