PDA

View Full Version : m53 and mg3 tripods- problem

kevin
08-13-2010, 09:32 PM
ok, i just bought an mg3 tripod with all the goodies, unfortunately the 1 inch longer receiver makes it too long i think to work with the tripod. it appears the recoil will make it pull the trigger again when it hits the back of the tripod which is where the arm attaches for pulling the trigger. I can take the stock off but it looks silly. Anyone have any ideas? looks like i might have to take about 1/2 inch off the total length of the stock?

i also cannot figure out how to raise or lower the t&e. i have it all set up but the wheel on it wont rotate

M1 Tanker
08-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Pictures Kev...I have a WW2 Lafette, so they are different from the MG3 tripods. Any your receiver is LONGER????

kevin
08-14-2010, 12:33 AM
i got it loosened up with some oil, i was told the receiver on the m53's were an inch longer than a 42. i only have about 3/8 of an inch to the back of the mount, i will take pics in the morning

kevin
08-14-2010, 07:54 AM
here is a picture, there is about 1/4 inch between the buttstock rear and the curved metal piece that is attached to the trigger mechanism

also is the stuff in this silver package the drying stuff for the periscope sight? i am guessing that means drying cartridge?

kevin
08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
after 2 hrs of googling, i found that your supposed to take out the red part up in the springs that is used with blanks, now i have over an inch of travel room, i think it will be fine now, now to just file off a 1/16 of an inch so it fits in the front of the tripod mount

now to search how to zero the optics to the gun

classicmachine
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
i got it loosened up with some oil, i was told the receiver on the m53's were an inch longer than a 42. i only have about 3/8 of an inch to the back of the mount, i will take pics in the morning

Looks like you figured out the mount.

As an additional comment, I think it might just be the Wiselite Semi M53 that is slightly longer than a MG-42