PDA

View Full Version : USS Olympia may be reefed!

skeeeepy
09-09-2010, 01:00 AM
I've visited this grand old lady up In Philly. It's quite a view looking across the Delaware River at the USS New Jersey from her upper deck.
I can't believe with all the money that is wasted on so-called stimulus bills that there isn't any to save valuable historical ship like the Olympia and the SS United States that sits at a pier right down the river.

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0907/USS-Olympia-one-of-a-kind-steel-cruiser-battles-for-survival

RicePaddyDaddy
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I've visited this grand old lady up In Philly. It's quite a view looking across the Delaware River at the USS New Jersey from her upper deck.
I can't believe with all the money that is wasted on so-called stimulus bills that there isn't any to save valuable historical ship like the Olympia and the SS United States that sits at a pier right down the river.

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0907/USS-Olympia-one-of-a-kind-steel-cruiser-battles-for-survival

I think there's a big move to forget history and how we fought to get and keep this dirt we're standing on.

M1 Tanker
09-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I think its crazy they may scrap that work of art

Norton
09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Can we move a ship that size on land by taking her apart
I love the Oylimpia
She is what the USA represents as much as the Big E or the Iowa

jbruney
09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
The present regime has no wishes to preserve them. Great shame on our gov't.
Their wasteful schemes could fit out a navy for a major country...A project like this could put good citizens to work and make me feel better about the fleecing I get every April. Keep in mind the gov't. pays for nothing, but we citizens do...Shutting up here Boss....before I lose it.

RicePaddyDaddy
09-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Fox News had a story about it today.

cfish
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
I fly over it quite a bit and see it at the dock. Its sad. I also fly over the ships in moth balls on the James River up from Norfolk and have noticed over the last 10 years the number of ships there have dropped like crazy. Use to be a bunch of them , now only a handful.

Bad Monkey
09-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Sad, as we lose parts of out history we lose part of us.