PDA

View Full Version : RPD functionality

Blackwing
09-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the RPD? Are there design drawbacks that make it unattractive for use? Does it have sufficient pull on the belt to function reliably? What are the drawbacks? I am working on a shrike-esk innitiative and like the 7.62x39 platform. Any and alll input is needed and appreciated. (and yes I am still working on the G3 12 gauge but have shelved it while trying to keep my day job--thanks Barack)

I am looking for immediate feedback or links to discussions already underway on this platform...

Thanks

Schmitty
10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately, the only experience I have with an RPD is playing Modern Warfare 2 with it. I can attest that it pwn's noobs quite effectively. :America:

I'm interested to see what anyone with real world experience thinks of it.

Perro Del Diablo
10-02-2010, 12:10 AM
i used to own the semi auto version from Vector, and i have shot many many belts out of one in full auto.
It shoots REALLY nice in full auto - for such a big and heavy gun, the x39mm cartridge feels anemic in it. VERY easy to control.

The Vector Arms semi auto RPD had a VERY long trigger cycle. it wore your finger out after a 100 round belt, but it was very very accurate, and it shot nicely. I received a bad one from them that would have blown up, and i had to fix it. I also know of another guy who had one blow up in his hands.

I do not like the non disentegrating belt personally It would be much much better with disentigrating links and i do not like the drum on it. Its not the easiest gun to do drum swaps on, and getting the belt fed back into the feedway and back into action is not the fastest of designs. The belts are linkable together in 100 round increments. Supposedly this was done to give the barrel time to cool so you didnt wear the gun out too fast because it does have a thin barrel for a belt fed MG.
It would be much better with a heavy barrel and disentegrating links so you could at least have 250 round belt capacity because the 100 round belts are just gone way too fast.

It does shoot VERY nicely though and that sorta makes up for it

it does have sufficient pull on the belt to pull the 100 rounds out of the drum without a problem. Free hand rounds hanging and not in the drum works perfectly too.

so easy that young women have no issues with it either @ 3:47
http://www.vegasshooters.com/forum/video/dbsfuel.wmv (http://www.vegasshooters.com/forum/video/dbsfuel.wmv)

my opinions

weaponoffemdom
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
+1, an RPD is a great gun, simple and soviet.

diablo I am from vegas, the east side, grew up around sahara and boulder hwy

Perro Del Diablo
06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
if you ever make it back out here, please look me up!
there are a few of us on this forum out here

BMG 7.62 A4
06-18-2011, 06:42 AM
I guess I'm lucky and got one of the good guns from Vector. I love my RPD! I agree with Perro about the long trigger pull, but you get used to it. As for the drum, I bought an adapter from Beltfedshooters and use M249 soft ammobags. Also got the flash hider from Projectguns.