PDA

View Full Version : NEW REVIEW of Gewehr Works Flats

bladeworks123
08-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Now that I have received the correct Gewehr Works New and Improved flats, I am going to post a whole new thread for my review, so that no one gets confused in the pics of the old flats. I will have to start out by saying that I was impressed the minute I opened the shipment. They are obviously better quality. I went over them to make sure that they were consistent in measurement from side to side,,,,, no need to post the pictures of that, they were pretty much dead on. SO..... I set out to bend them and just see how true to form they are. Here we go....

First, pics of how they bend....perfect alignment as they come together, here you see the alignment of the two sides as they just begin to touch in the bending jig.... You couldn't ask for anything better here.

Rear lines up perfect

Front... perfect

Mag Well, just about as good as it gets...

Here you can see the deepened re-inforcing ribs on the mag well.
The mag release shaft holes are the correct size and they line up well.
The Mag release window is in need of a little de-burring but the size is correct. It will need finish cut down to the back of the mag well. But that is no big deal,,,, I'd rather have it that way for proper fitment when I go to put in the mag release.

Now to check the fit of the trunnion....First I look at the depth of the rails, they are spot on to lining up with both sides of the trunnion. No fitting will be necessary here prior to welding. The rails are nice and squared, the right depth, and are in the right location.
Left side rail to trunnion fit....

Right side rail to trunnion fit....

Now to check the back end....The carrier slid right in. The fit is super snug...Probably need to widen it just a bit after welding but again you can see how well the rail fitment is right out of the jig.

The scope lugs are well pronounced and will be a lot easier to finish cut when the time comes.

The top rib is nice and pronounced.....

The trunnion slides in with no slop and is perfectly centered, another testament to the flats being dimensionally even all around.

The mag well is almost perfect right off the bat, a little snug on the sides but perfect alignment to the depth of the trunnion for a positive engagement to the front of the mag. Again you can see the more defined and more rigid reinforcing ribs.

Here is one of the nicest touches and a little bit of a surprise to me as the Gewehr works info did not mention this previously.....the pin holes are cut to the correct size for the reinforcing sleeves. They dropped right in, perfect fit.

The cocking tube fit is pretty good as well. Nice and tight. It will take only some minor body work here to make the welds...

All in all.... I give them three thumbs up....Gewehr works has done a good job on these in my opinion. They should make for some real nice, and a lot easier builds. I'l post more after I weld them up and continue on.

seasmoke
08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share, Bladeworks. Excellant comentary and photography as usual. You make it look easy. I'm looking forward to watching this build.
Cheers
Seasmoke

HKILLER
08-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Are u gonna tig them blade?

bladeworks123
08-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, they will be tig welded.

drine
08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Great work as usual. I hope you have some real nice kits left.

mitchstoner
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Now I'm finally realizing that buying that stash of the old-style flats might not have been the smartest investment, when it appeared there would be no more.

Has anything been said, anywhere, about the possibility of re-striking old flats to get the rails, etc. right? Probably cheaper to just buy new ones.

bladeworks123
08-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I saw where Gewehr works was offering to re-strike the ones that they had initially made. Might be worth a call to them and see if and how much they might do them for.

vorpal
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Copes is offering these flats. Is there a way to tell if they are an early press vs the later?
vorpal

holescreek
08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I read on their post in the HKPro forum that they would also restrike ORF flats. It would be worth a call to them to find out. I don't think they are all that far from my house, maybe 60 miles if they are where I think they are. I have several ORF flats stashed too, might be worth the drive.

All of the photos I've seen of the Cope's flats are all the early round rail types.

bladeworks123
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Copes is offering these flats. Is there a way to tell if they are an early press vs the later?
vorpal

The new flats (left) have the rails squared. The early press, (right) the rails are not square...

Blackwing
08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Now I'm finally realizing that buying that stash of the old-style flats might not have been the smartest investment, when it appeared there would be no more.

I will buy anyone's old ORF (only) flats for the last selling price Todd had of about $30. I have the tooling to fix it so it is no big deal to me. This would get you half way to a completely fixed GW or almost half to a PTR flat now. Just sayin.....

vorpal
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info.
vorpal

The Great 308
08-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the great review bladeworks! :rockon:

holescreek
08-14-2011, 12:17 AM
How'd the trunnion diameters look with that disc thingy you had in the old thread? I just found out that GW is only about 30 minutes north of me and I'm considering driving my ORF flats up there to get re struck if they'll do it.

bladeworks123
08-14-2011, 02:09 AM
How'd the trunnion diameters look with that disc thingy you had in the old thread? I just found out that GW is only about 30 minutes north of me and I'm considering driving my ORF flats up there to get re struck if they'll do it.

They were fine, Same radius and depth on both sides. I'll post some more pics in a day or two, I've got two G3 builds and a 94 going right now and have been trying to snap as many pics as I can.

bladeworks123
08-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Here you can see the obvious difference between one of the older flats and the new stampings. The Gewehr Works flats are the top two pics and the older flat is the bottom two. That 1/8 of an inch makes for a trunnion that wants to be a little off center or canted to make it line up with the rails, and if bad enough will cause one rail to be slightly short of being flush with the trunnion and makes cocking tube alignment off just a bit. Still workable, but makes for some extra tweeking time to get everything to line up right. I've found that a forming mandrel will push a lot of that out if used before you mount the trunnion up, (The mandrel all the way through the receiver.) With the trunnion in place it tends to want to shift the rails to the left about 1/16th of an inch or so. Not an issue now, with these Gewehr works flats,,,, so far.

bladeworks123
08-15-2011, 01:48 AM
A little video....

n8-Nbaf_hJI

sdk1968
08-15-2011, 11:22 AM
BW,

thats some fantastic info and im sorry i missed this when you posted it. as Holes said, Copes has the old ones... who has the new ones? or do you have to buy them direct?

thanks for all the info you share & work you put in.

sdk1968

holescreek
08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Sean, RTG has the new ones.

Copes is just down the road 30 minutes or so from GW, I'm surprised that they don't drive them over and get them restamped for free to avoid all the headaches of returns.

SLiP
08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Cope's page says they are from GewehrWorks. Are they mistaken? Or are they really the new ones? They have them listed for $59.95.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_41&products_id=3741

holescreek
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Copes has the early stamped parts GW made before they fixed the dies to square the rails.

sdk1968
08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Sean, RTG has the new ones.

Copes is just down the road 30 minutes or so from GW, I'm surprised that they don't drive them over and get them restamped for free to avoid all the headaches of returns.

HC,

as much as i love Misty and like Roger @ Copes..... that would cost him a dime and he's pretty tight.

holescreek
08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
HC,

as much as i love Misty and like Roger @ Copes..... that would cost him a dime and he's pretty tight.

That's the funny part. GW said they'd restrike them for free in their thread on HKPro!

bladeworks123
08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Copes also have the improved ones, just ask or differentiate when you call.

Gewehr Werks
08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
vorpal

Here are two pictures of final part, this is what all our suppliers have in their inventories. All earlier parts that were left in supply chain; have been returned and all banks have been restocked with the latest parts. These parts have all the above revisions present. Any supplier advertising GW flats for sale; will be providing you with the latest parts. Cope's has the latest parts in their inventories, I picked up remaining stock 2 weeks ago and restocked them with the newest parts!

Tim@GewehrWerks

Below are two pictures showing both views, inside and outside of the latest parts :
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/844/proto013.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/proto013.jpg/)
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7391/g3flats01001.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/g3flats01001.jpg/)

Gewehr Werks
08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
They were fine, Same radius and depth on both sides. I'll post some more pics in a day or two, I've got two G3 builds and a 94 going right now and have been trying to snap as many pics as I can.

Sir, I just wanted to thank you for the ringing endorsement! So far your little tread has sparked some definite consumer interest in our products and services. I hope at some point we can return the favor. Thanks for taking the time to post such detailed pics. Please give us a call sometime, I have some stuff to run by you.

Thanks....

dirty8
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Email sent to Gewehr Works regarding re-striking flats.

oldpaint0
08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I got 2 from Cope's today and they are the latest flats. Very nice and will save some time on the build. Nice thread Bladeworks.