PDA

View Full Version : filling a water filled maxim with water

kevin
08-28-2011, 08:58 PM
what do i need to do before i fill up my maxim's barrel jacket with water? is there a way to keep it from leaking back into the action or out near the muzzle?

Global Gunsmithing
08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
well, the side plates were soldered near the front trunnion, if I'm not mistaken, and there is a packing ring or something like that for the barrel, so it does not leak, at the trunnion and muzzle

flemgunner
08-29-2011, 05:52 AM
There is indeed a packing ring that sets in the groove of the barrel near teh chamber end. There is also one that goes around the muzzle and is compressed by the booster/flash hider

kevin
08-29-2011, 08:25 AM
i see the groove cut in the chameber end of the barrel where there are some rubber o rings in the groves but i dont see anything on the muzzle end and no groove in the barrel.

Perro Del Diablo
08-29-2011, 02:54 PM
originally you packed the barrel with asbestos yarn that was greased.

use this instead.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3470/=du0k2x

pn 12945K1 for the 5 foot roll, k2 for the 10, and k3 for the 25 foot roll and coat it with high temp grease before you wrap it.
works great for Maxim, Vickers, or Browning

there is an art to packing a barrel - just enough so that it doesnt leak but not too much that it slows down the action too much. nobody can teach you this by text, it must be done by experimentation until you figure it out.

there is no groove in front, you have to wrap the cord around the barrel at just the right spot where it seals the barrel up.

Mike

sdk1968
08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Perro is exactly correct!

it was a Asbestos string and we still come up with some from time to time during removals that i save for a couple of my friends with FA maxims....

that replacement that he's talking about is pretty good.

also what he said about "learning" how to do it is very true. ive watched Sherman and HeckinOhio do this on several occasions and im still not sure if id get it just right on the first try.

LOL

Perro Del Diablo
08-30-2011, 09:55 AM
the aramid fiber string was suggested to me by Jmann from the 1919 forum and it works awesome, but its expensive. it lasts forever though.
I was told by Dolf not to bother and just use the cheap teflon string from the hardware store, it works just as well, but i know the aramid stuff above works awesome and have no experiance with the cheap teflon string.

packing the rear half of the barrel is the easy part, you just have to fill the hole and compress it into the groove with the screw driver until it enters the trunnion. The hard part to get right is the muzzle end.
You are going to remove the booster bearing and wind some string over the top of the barrel and then reseat the booster and shoot it. Once it gets hot the string swells and will bind the gun and this is where the hard part comes. You need to unscrew the booster and cut a little bit off and then reinstall the booster. You want to avoid collapsing the string back inside of the waterjacket.
It will take experimentation to get it just right, and its different with each type of packing that you use. Get it hot and the string will swell - cut a little bit off and try again. Get it hot and if it binds cut a little more off and try it again. Once you get it just right observe the amount of string used for future use and it will get you close next time you have to pack it. It usually lasts for a very long time once you get it right.