PDA

View Full Version : My problems with the Surefire 60 rounder

Buckshot
12-22-2011, 02:03 AM
After waiting on backorders, I recently received three 60 round Surefire Mags from 2 sources. At $120 plus per mag I expected good stuff. Surefire has a good
reputation and make the only mags I use for my Saiga rifles. I fully loaded my first 60 round mag and by the time I emptied it I had 5 jams. It stopped feeding around
the 30-40 round point twice. The spring and/or follower apparently got stuck. To make matters worse, although there was no pressure against the top round the
bolt brushed against it enough to partially pull it forward. When I removed the jammed mag that round fell out and stayed loose in the receiver. I found myself
twice holding a jammed mag in one hand and shaking my AR15 with the other to get the loose round to fall out of the receiver. Reaching in the neck of the mag and
pushing on the follower finally got the spring pressure back and the rounds to come up. The last 3 jams were when less than 8 rounds were left in the mag. The
follower, which was in the neck of the mag, tilted forward and jammed against the front wall. The follower sits on a pedistal (like a teeter totter) and is
just begging to tilt forward. I don't see anything in the design to stop it. I had some problems like this with all 3 mags. I worked with them, tried to break them in
by repeatedly loading and unloading them, even use a little dry lub. I finally returned one mag. I kept 2 of them, but don't trust them for anything other than
plinking. What bothers me as a retired soldier is Surefire hyping these as what every soldier needs in a ambush situation. I recommend anyone thinking about
buying this mag look at the reviews at Midway, Brownells and other sites. There are plenty of glowing reviews, but also to many reviews from buyers
that have had problems with them. I hope others have had better luck than me!

cz759
12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
That is exactly why the Russians stopped using them in the AK74. UNRELIABLE. They were originally IIRC designed to use is the PPSH, and did not work well then. The Ruskies then tried to resurect them in Afganastan for tankers and C.Q.B. Got to many in deep sh_t.

Buckshot
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
That is exactly why the Russians stopped using them in the AK74. UNRELIABLE. They were originally IIRC designed to use is the PPSH, and did not work well then. The Ruskies then tried to resurect them in Afganastan for tankers and C.Q.B. Got to many in deep sh_t.

I guess Surefire thought they could invent a better wheel - it still ended up being a wheel. I'll bet they come out with version #2 soon. Brownells has it at 3.6 stars. Although many of the dealer reviews are worthless, that rating really "sucks"
for something from a company as good as Surefire.

imarangemaster
01-08-2012, 09:58 AM
ARe you using brass cased ammo or steel cased. In my experience, steel cased 9mm binds up in some double stack magazines.

Buckshot
01-08-2012, 10:08 AM
ARe you using brass cased ammo or steel cased. In my experience, steel cased 9mm binds up in some double stack magazines.

I was using 5.56 (.223) brass, the good stuff for the most part. I did try several types of ammo. These mags are more complicated than I thought they would be.
I really like Surefire, I must have 20 plus mags of theirs for different Saiga types and they are the only ones I buy for the Saiga(s). I did not anticipate any
problems with these new 60 rd mags, so was really surprised with the jamming.

Perro Del Diablo
01-08-2012, 03:26 PM

i believe you are thinking of the coffin mags for the M31 / KP31 Suomi

I have had the opportunity to shoot several coffin mags over a wide variety of platforms. A friend has a lage slowfire upper for his M11/9 mac that takes suomi magazines (forget the model # for the suomi mags from lage, but its new). He shoots the coffin mags with that and they work perfectly.

Also have shot Battle Born Arms' Suomi at the subgun match and the coffin mags work perfectly with that gun too (wish the same could be said for the drum mag)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFOmu7N5Xg

The only thing i have seen a problem with was how hard it is to load them. you DEFINATELY need a loader for the coffin mags.

not sure why the Surefire would give you problems, or why they failed in the AK74, but they work very very well in 9mm suomi application from my experiance with them - maybe its a bottle neck issue?