PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting close to Houston?

Sapheit warrior
01-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in or around Houston for a bit in March. I wanted to see if I could get in some good hog hunting in the area. Does anyone know of a place close to Houston where I can hunt? I don't mind the pay for the day sort of places. I've been in North Carolina but I can't wait to hunt Texas.

Kyle
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure of any particular private land owners/farmers that are particularly looking for hunters or pay-by-day deals. I do a bit of hog hunting, but most of it is about halfway between Houston and Dallas. But I know you can hunt hogs in the Sam Houston National Forest. It's about an hour north of Houston, obviously depending on what part of Houston you're coming from. I have had success there on many occassions, but you have to put in the time like any hunting. There's a ton of hogs out there, you just have to find them which can be tricky since they are primarily nocturnal.

There are a few downsides though. You are required to possess a hunting license in Texas, even for hogs. If you do not have a Texas residence, the out of state license can be steep. In addition, you would also need a public hunting license to comply with the National Forest rules.

But there are upsides as well. In Texas, it's open game all 24/7/365. The National Forest is 163,000 acres and all legal means are still allowed, with the exception of dogs. That means you can bait, you can use a rifle/bow/shotgun, no bag limits....whatever. It is a very large area though, so your best bet at success is getting out there and scouting some areas, and baiting some high traffic locations to try and setup on. That's what I have done in the past, just search out some game trails, try and find a place with fresh rootings, bait them up a couple times without pressuring them, then go in one day and whack a few in one sitting. March isn't a bad time out there either, it's usually at least semi-cool and you don't have to worry about interfering with deer or duck hunters as the seasons have past.

DaCapster
01-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Bunch near Gonzlas Tx......

musibike
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Ask around the gun stores here. People are having a real problem with HOGS tearing up everything.

Just get permission and a hunting license.