PDA

View Full Version : PTR-91 heavy fluted 18" barrel on a CETME

86camaro
01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I searched but couldnt really find anything. I saw that they sell a PTR91 with a 18" long fluted heavy barrel and was wondering if it was very hard to fit it on a CAI Cetme. I am setting my cetme up more as a long range rifle and was interested in the longer heavier barrel hoping itll more accurately reach out to the distance. Ive also seen a post or 2 on other places about a 20" barrel. Any suggestions, advice, and or help is appreciated. If anyone knows where these parts can be aquired that would help as well.

drine
01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
As far as barrels go, if it fits the HK, it will fit the CETME. You will of course press to spec and drill for your pin. One of these guys can tell you if you need any thing extra. That "trunnion extension" (I'm sure I'm not saying the name of the part right.) might be needed for support on certain builds. There are some HBAR builds on here but they may be PTR/HK stuff versus CETME.

holescreek
01-14-2012, 06:55 PM
As far as I can tell the trunnion extension is only needed for attaching specific handguards.

r.erichsen
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
The PSG1 and MSG90 have barrels of 25.5" and 24" respectively with a lot more diameter than you see on the G3 rifles that typically have a 17.7" barrel of fairly light profile. As heavy as that 18" PTR barrel is, it's diameter isn't nearly as great as the PSG1 or MSG90 and it's length makes it a lot less necessary for more bearing on the "cylinder" portion of the barrel shank. From the length of the shank end, a longer trunnion wouldn't help you add meat here, it looks to be profiled for an ordinary G3 length trunnion, which is just as well.

I've now seen two "kinds" of PSG1 trunnion, though the period or comparison to HK I'm not as sure about. The first one is the G3 trunnion with an extension that fits more loosely to the barrel than the main trunnion and mostly just allows attachment of PSG1 type handguards. The extension fits into the groove of the G3 trunnion and the two are welded together. The second type I've seen recently is a monolithic variety that is of the same length as the HK21E machine gun trunnion but without the camming surfaces for barrel quick change. Like the "E" trunnion it's a massive cylinder of steel without the cuts to lighten the trunnion in the middle and costs $350-$450. This was a trunnion from SW which have so far not impressed me with their attention to detail. The vendor/manufacturer that had it said it was based on an HK trunnion of the same type and given his experience with HK weapons, I don't doubt him.

R