PDA

View Full Version : Yugo AWO M76 8mm sniper range report

Buckshot
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
It was not a real good day for me, the "hurts" were really hurting (if you know what I mean), but I just had to fire the new M76. I went with
Privi Partizan 196 gr. s.p. because being non-corrosive it would make for a faster cleaning and I also felt if the rifle cycled the soft points,
it should handle almost any ammo run thru it. The Russian scope was dead on left/right, but about 6 inches low. Two adjustments and
I was in the black. I was was using a front rest shooting 75 yards, but I was just not holding steady. Still not too bad. I was not up
to moving everything over to 150 plus range setup. The rifle preform flawlessly, nothing bad to report on it at all. What you are seeing
in the photos is the last 3 shots.

Patria Povo
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Good shooting, mate! I guess I need one now.

The Russian scope ...

Sorry if this is splitting hairs, but the scope on the Yugo M76 is a Zrack ON-M76b made in Sarejevo, Bosnia: http://www.zrak.ba/

Buckshot
05-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Good shooting, mate! I guess I need one now.
Sorry if this is splitting hairs, but the scope on the Yugo M76 is a Zrack ON-M76b made in Sarejevo, Bosnia: http://www.zrak.ba/

No problem, give credit, where credit is due. The scope is marked ON-M76A and I really like it!

I forgot to mention that it had a very mild recoil, so mild I didn't even think about it until now.

Patria Povo
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
No problem, give credit, where credit is due. The scope is marked ON-M76A and I really like it!

Cool. I haven't seen an A model, but I believe there wasn't much changed between the two. How is the tritium on it? I think I have read about folks relighting them with fresh tritium vials, though I'd have to search the AK Forum for the thread on that, if memory serves correctly.

Buckshot
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Cool. I haven't seen an A model, but I believe there wasn't much changed between the two. How is the tritium on it? I think I have read about folks relighting them with fresh tritium vials, though I'd have to search the AK Forum for the thread on that, if memory serves correctly.

Dang, I hadn't even thought about it having tritium sights. Thanks, need to check that out.

r.erichsen
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Tritium loses it's brightness after about 10 years and then folks at Ameriglo or Trijicon who pump out millions of the little things in all sorts of shapes and sizes can match what you have and replace it. 10 years sounds short, but what battery can you think of that would provide an always-on reticule that lasted that long?

On some optics the vial is in a turret and you just have to screw it off to get to it. Sometimes it's on a bulge on the bottom of the optic and with a few screws it comes out. On a few of the "sleeker" varieties you have to dismantle the tube and that means sucking out the air and replacing it with argon or nitrogen when you are done. I don't know anything about the Zrak scopes to know how easy or hard it will be, but it is absolutely doable.

R

Patria Povo
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Dang, I hadn't even thought about it having tritium sights. Thanks, need to check that out.

If you can't figure out the correct vial size and all that, you could try these guys: http://www.p-a-distributing.com

Buckshot
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=r.erichsen;265169]Tritium loses it's brightness after about 10 years and then folks at Ameriglo or Trijicon who pump out millions of the little things in all sorts of shapes and sizes can match what you have and replace it. 10 years sounds short, but what battery can you think of that would provide an always-on reticule that lasted that long?

On some optics the vial is in a turret and you just have to screw it off to get to it. Sometimes it's on a bulge on the bottom of the optic and with a few screws it comes out. On a few of the "sleeker" varieties you have to dismantle the tube and that means sucking out the air and replacing it with argon or nitrogen when you are done. I don't know anything about the Zrak scopes to know how easy or hard it will be, but it is absolutely doable.

It seems the tritium has expired. There are two access ports near where I would guess the vials would go in. They will come off with a small screw driver. I will definately be looking to replace them, so thanks
for the info. I may post some closeup photos on the scope and ask for some more advice on this, so keep an eye out for it. Thanks again!

update: Thanks Justin, we posted at the exact same time, so didn't see urs until after I posted this. Can you tell anything on the scope from the pictures of the rifle I posted?

k98k792
05-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Here is the ammo made for this rifle. The M75 FMJBT. Pick some up while you can http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8435&dir=18|830|854

Buckshot
05-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Here is the ammo made for this rifle. The M75 FMJBT. Pick some up while you can http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8435&dir=18|830|854

Thanks k98, I will do that! I am already a fan of Privi Partizan ammo.

I went out about dark and picked up the brass out of the grass. I usually look at some of the brass when I fire a gun, but was rushing it today not feeling 100%
I noticed the very tip of the necks was slightly pushed in on one side on most of the brass. It seemed to eject the brass very strongly, as I don't even remember seeing it come out.
That was also watching a friend fire it too. Again, it seem to cycle flawlessly, even with the soft points, so I don't know if this is something to worry about?? It does not pay to
get in a rush because I also found the allen nuts on the scope mount were loose when I cleaned the gun. The scope had actually canted some to the right while we were firing it.
The scope was in the mount, but not on the gun when I got it. I am sure that didn't help our shooting (lol). Still not bad though.

holescreek
05-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Where did you get those giant coins?

Buckshot
05-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Where did you get those giant coins?

The coin is about the size of a silver dollar (those are small targets). I got it from NRA, (possibly when I got my lifetime membership), but I know I didn't pay for it.
It has the NRA logo, Eagle on crossed rifles on one side and the other side has the 1903 Springfield. I like it, has some weight to it and feels like the real thing.

drine
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I got one of those recently. They send something 1 or 2 times a week wanting money.

holescreek
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
That was supposed to be a joke. I'd need a fake coin the size of a dinner plate to make my groups look that good.

There's a fellow on the PM board that makes fully functional miniatures. He always puts stamps nest to the items for scale size reference and everyone wants to know where he gets the giant stamps.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/i-finished-miniature-machinists-chest-245554/

Buckshot
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
That was supposed to be a joke. I'd need a fake coin the size of a dinner plate to make my groups look that good.

There's a fellow on the PM board that makes fully functional miniatures. He always puts stamps nest to the items for scale size reference and everyone wants to know where he gets the giant stamps.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/i-finished-miniature-machinists-chest-245554/

Got it :biggrin: I thought the coin just looked big as the target from center to edge of black is only a little over 2 1/2" wide. I can see people thinking that on the stamp thing too.

Patria Povo
05-11-2012, 11:14 AM

^

Good price!!

Buckshot
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
^

Good price!!

Was talking to AWO on the gas settings, they ship them with it on the highest setting and recommended turning it down a notch. To my surprise they were not enthused about the
M76 sniper ammo. I was told they use Green Mountain chrome lined barrels with a different twist than the original barrels. They didn't say anything bad about the sniper ammo, but
did say it might not preform as one would expect. I am still going to buy some, because the price is good and again I like Privi Partizan ammo. Oh, yes Justin it has bullet guides.

concretus
05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
That's very accurate from that 8mm cartridge. I did'n know if I could get that out of my K98. Do they prefer the 196-200gr bullets?

Buckshot
05-14-2012, 09:45 PM
That's very accurate from that 8mm cartridge. I did'n know if I could get that out of my K98. Do they prefer the 196-200gr bullets?

I am using 196 Privi Partizan. In almost anything I use Privi Partizan in, it will shoot tight groups.

k98k792
05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
My barrel is the original Yugo.

Buckshot
05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
My barrel is the original Yugo.

Yours M76 is a beauty - your barrel must have came with the kit you got?

Damian45acp
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Here is the ammo made for this rifle. The M75 FMJBT. Pick some up while you can http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8435&dir=18|830|854 thanx for the link dude ,just ordered 1000 ak rounds non corrosive for 205 bucks and 5 boxes of the 8 mm sniper for my brno czeck mauser. great ammo site thanx again. they also have a great set of mounts and scopes for the mausers.Iknow im prolly useing em.

Damian45acp
06-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I am using 196 Privi Partizan. In almost anything I use Privi Partizan in, it will shoot tight groups. love that ammo as well great brass for reloading i buy mostly ammo just for the brass once i get enough i start loading them myself for everything but my ak,s and sks's. cheaper to buy the steel then to try and load ak brass isnt cheap.so unless im planning on sniping with an sks i dont load sks ammo. everything else besides 22 long rifles and 17 hmrs. i load myself.