PDA

View Full Version : Tig electrodes

HKaltwasser
09-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Help for a nubie. I'm trying to get the Tig setup to practice before I move along with the build. I have a question about ectrodes: What type of electrodes do you guys use? I just have 1/8, 1/16 stainless filler rods at the moment for practice. Any tips on what types of filler rods and electrodes to use with those fillers would be great. I just filled the tank this afternoon and thought I was coming home to play a little when I realized I havn't bought any electrodes- doh. Thanks

jbruney
09-14-2012, 09:39 PM
2% thoriated tungsten...The diameter selected according to amperage range. Filler rod depends on what base metal you have...My needs are satisfied with ER70 for the most part.

HKaltwasser
09-14-2012, 11:54 PM
2% thoriated tungsten...The diameter selected according to amperage range. Filler rod depends on what base metal you have...My needs are satisfied with ER70 for the most part.

Thank you! I will experiment with diameter and amperage/materials. Back to the welding supply shop tomorrow.

dirty8
09-15-2012, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=HKaltwasser;275186]Help for a nubie. I'm trying to get the Tig setup to practice before I move along with the build. I have a question about ectrodes: What type of electrodes do you guys use? I just have 1/8, 1/16 stainless filler rods at the moment for practice. Any tips on what types of filler rods and electrodes to use with those fillers would be great. I just filled the tank this afternoon and thought I was coming home to play a little when I realized I havn't bought any electrodes- doh. Thanks[/QUOTE

Use 1/16" electrode. Drill some 1/8" and 3/16" holes into to sheet metal and practice plug welding. These are the spot welds around the trunion. Butt some pieces of sheet metal and practice welding seams. This is simialr to welding the cocking tube as well as the seams when a flat is rolled and clamped for welding.

HKILLER
09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
are you welding steel or aluminum?

HKaltwasser
09-15-2012, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=HKaltwasser;275186]Help for a nubie. I'm trying to get the Tig setup to practice before I move along with the build. I have a question about ectrodes: What type of electrodes do you guys use? I just have 1/8, 1/16 stainless filler rods at the moment for practice. Any tips on what types of filler rods and electrodes to use with those fillers would be great. I just filled the tank this afternoon and thought I was coming home to play a little when I realized I havn't bought any electrodes- doh. Thanks[/QUOTE

Use 1/16" electrode. Drill some 1/8" and 3/16" holes into to sheet metal and practice plug welding. These are the spot welds around the trunion. Butt some pieces of sheet metal and practice welding seams. This is simialr to welding the cocking tube as well as the seams when a flat is rolled and clamped for welding.

Perfect. This is exactly what I need to know to get started. Thanks Dirty8.

The weld shops were closed today but HF had some 1/16 2% thorated tungsten EWTH-2.

To HKILLER: I'll be starting with steel and might work up to some alluminum later.

jbruney
09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind the aluminum will require constant voltage AC, and is really nasty without a high frequency unit...Damned near impossible to make a sound clean weld without one.
The Al uses pure tungsten which hangs in a molten ball at the end of the electrode. If the ball drops into the puddle it's a mess that takes a pita cleaning before proceeding on. You shall also need helium(or a He mix gas) for the TIG.

I could gripe about aluminum TIG welding all day long, but I do appreciate the metal....just don't like working with it. Good luck and Godspeed in your endeavors.

bladeworks123
09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Here is a site that has a boat load of good information that you might want to use as a reference for furthering your quest for welding knowledge....

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/