PDA

View Full Version : CAI cast receiver question

vorpal
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
My son in law and I are working on our first build. We're using G3 parts in a cast CAI receiver. When the butt stock is pushed into place the pin holes are short of lining up by about half of the hole diameter. It appears the fix is to remove material from the rear of the receiver tube until the holes line up. (I feel like this is an incredibly stupid question). I don't want to bork the receiver by shortening it in error, if there is another way to correct this. Thanks.
vorpal

7.62guy
01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Are you using a cetme stock or h&k?

holescreek
01-09-2013, 07:13 PM
I've not built with a cast receiver but every flat I've ever folded required taking about .1" off the rear of the receiver.

You may want to blue it up and put it together to see where it's hitting. Half a hole is a lot.

vorpal
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
G3 stock. I'll ask my s-i-l to take a measurement of how much needs to come off and I'll post it. Thanks.
vorpal

vista461
01-09-2013, 07:22 PM
My cast SS was about a half hole too long as well. Used a mounted disc sander and did the sand, some check, sand some, check method until it was good.

vorpal
01-09-2013, 09:07 PM
My cast SS was about a half hole too long as well. Used a mounted disc sander and did the sand, some check, sand some, check method until it was good.

Thanks very much. We were thinking about a belt sander with a fence to hold it square. Appreciate all the responses. Take care.
vorpal

bladeworks123
01-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Another problem encountered with some of the the cast receivers when using the Hk stock and buffer is that the receiver does not clear the buffer flange. That is what those cuts on the back are for, so that the receiver will span over the buffer. Also the thickness of the cast receivers will prevent them from fitting between the corners of the Hk buffer and the wall of the mounting plate. So before you start cutting the back off make sure it is seated all the way to the bottom over and around the Hk buffer.

vista461
01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Yep I had to trim the corners on the HK buffer and cut the metal stock housing to a more "CETME" profile when viewed from the side.

bladeworks123
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
The relief cuts in the receiver also help to keep the receiver from binding against the backing plate. The only contact you should have is directly behind the recoil spring channel and directly behind the pins. I have seen one cast receiver that had a small piece cracked off where it was setting on top of the buffer. Not sure if it was from recoil or from the owner pounding the buttstock on because it fit so tight. If you look closely at the second pic, you can see the contact marks from where the original receiver set in the plate. That is the correct footprint of where the receiver should set against the backing plate.

7.62guy
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Blade. That was where I was going when I asked which stock. Just couldn't find the link. This will help them.

vorpal
01-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks to everybody that posted. The photo was extremely helpful. Thanks again and take care.
vorpal