PDA

View Full Version : Arizona shoot plan

cimmaronkid
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
It looks like there are several of us here in the Valley of the Sun and the Tucson Wasteland, so why don't we plan a shoot. Maybe we could get DeCapster to drive up from Tucson for the day and get some of the guys in Nevada to come here. I think Texas is a little far for those guys to come, but if you are close I have plenty of firearms and ammo for you to shoot. Haven't seen anybody in New Mexico but they are welcome as well. I can contact Fish and Game at Ben Avery and they will reserve several benches together for us on the public range if we get there early or might even get them to let us use the small bore range but it is only 100 yds. Range is open Wednesday thru Sunday from 7:30 to Dusk. Cost is $5.00/head and you can stay there all day. Since I am retired, it doesn't matter to me what day we have it. I was thinking of sometime around the 1st of April to give everyone time to adjust their schedules. We can bring food and drinks as they have picnic tables there for use or if it is on the weekend, they have a very good food vendor for hotdogs (Hebrew National) and burgers. They do not have a coffee pot and the vendor makes terrible coffee but they do have drink machines. Give me some input if this is something you would like to do. Friends are always welcome. What do you guys think?

DaCapster
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I could do that, I would just have to leave the tannerite at home ;)

cimmaronkid
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Let me know some dates that would be good for you and plan on bringing a friend or two. Save the tannerite for the next one.

New2HKinAZ
03-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm in, I can pitch in on some ammo too so you aren't the only one bringing it CK. Just let me know what day is settled on so I can take off work if needed.

I have guns in the following calibers so let me know what kind of ammo you want me to pick up:

hand gun
7.62x25
5.7x28
9mm Para
.40 S&W
.357 SIG
.45 ACP

rifle
.22 lr
.223 Rem
7.62x39
7.62x51
7.62x54r
7.62x63

shotgun
20 guage

cimmaronkid
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Since I am retired, I can go anytime so you guys give me some dates and we will get this thing rolling. If you want to shoot some trap or skeet, we can go over to the shotgun range as well. But let me know some dates. I also recommend that we all bring something different to shoot from what the other guy has. Here is what I have to play with:

SHOTGUNS
Remington 1100 skeet guns in 12, 20, and .410
Savage BSE 20 ga. sxs
Ancient Stevens 16 ga sxs

PISTOLS
Daly 1911
Taurus M-44 44 Mag.
Taurus Tracker 45 acp

RIFLES
Cetme with the bugs worked out
Ruger 77 Custom Varmint 220 Swift and Canjar set trigger
Hart action/barrel Varmint rifle .22-250
Savage 112J Custom Varmint .222 Remington w/custom Timney trigger
Anschutz HB 1532 .222 Remington
Winchester 94 (old) .30-30 Winchester
Ruger Custom 10/22's (one left hand, one right)
Winchester 66 pump in .22 lr
Marlin bolt rifle .22lr

SPECIAL INTEREST
1874 Sharps Buffalo Gun .45-70 with Longe Range Soule Sights
(I shoot black powder in this one and cast my own bullets)

I also have various SKS's and others but this is the different stuff. You guys need to let me know what you want to shoot of mine and I will bring it. All of the bolt guns will shoot 1/2" at 200 yds if you do your part.

DaCapster
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Sundays are best for me, but I can always make other plans in regards to my chilldren.

cimmaronkid
03-09-2007, 08:00 PM
New2, is a sunday good for you? I also haven't heard from Thalgor (?) as he is close to me in distance. Also had a couple of other guys with AZ in their names. If they are anywhere close, get on this thread and let's plan a shoot.

New2HKinAZ
03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I can do Sundays.

Thauglor
03-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I can do Sundays also, got every Sunday free till 4pm at least. But Sundays are always busy at ben avery tho.

cimmaronkid
03-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I got a few connections there and can get 3-4 benches up front by showing up early. I'll handle that end. Now, let's pick a Sunday! Also, list your firearms so we don't duplicate unless you just want to bring a certain gun along.

Thauglor
03-09-2007, 11:05 PM
What about a shoot in the desert?

cimmaronkid
03-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Fine with me as long as it is good with everyone else. I just don't have a good place to go. If you have one, let me know and if the other guys want to do that, I have awnings and benches I can bring along with a charcoaler. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Roadkill45
04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
i'm down in Yuma. let me know when you plan another. i always say the desert is much better than a range, too many rules. we have a free, huge range down here, but i go to the quarry much more often.

DaCapster
05-11-2007, 09:01 PM
And I have a new toy to break in........... :)

jdowney
12-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Did your shoot ever come together?

Mom lives in Tucson, I might make it over sometime if you plan another.

DaCapster
01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I suppose RIP CimKid.....

I'm stll open for a shoot`

hackrider
01-05-2008, 12:08 AM
My daughter lives in Chandler so it would be a good excuse to come down. I'm in Albuquerque. Also there used to be a big shoot in Pomereane east of Tucson and Benson north of I-10. Does that still happen?

Hack

DaCapster
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Never shot on the North side of 10.... Hunted a lot of deer just west on Benson of the South side....It's pretty open there even though there is starting to be a large influx of houses just off 82/83 on the S side.

jdowney
01-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Never shot on the North side of 10.... Hunted a lot of deer just west on Benson of the South side....It's pretty open there even though there is starting to be a large influx of houses just off 82/83 on the S side.

I used to shoot out west of the highway in Catalina, but I think all the growth in that area has pretty well done away with it. Also used to go to Reddington pass a lot, nice area, though a bit rocky for shooting - just got to pick your spot carefully.

DaCapster
01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I still shoot at Reddington, They made everything on the South side a ATV trail loop all the way out to Cheba Falls. The county PD is all over that road in force now. Pick up what you take in and more is the rule there.

jdowney
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I still shoot at Reddington, They made everything on the South side a ATV trail loop all the way out to Cheba Falls. The county PD is all over that road in force now. Pick up what you take in and more is the rule there.

South side of the pass you mean? I used to go up to the flatter area anyhow, there's a good spot between the road and the Tanque Verde (waaaay up above the creek) with a big cattle tank, and another on the other side of the road in roughly the same place. Both would be the south side of the pass, though just barely. Never saw sheriff's deputies, but that was 15 years ago. Game and fish officers and the occassional Forrest Service leo. Always used to take out more than I brought anyhow, if for no other reason to stay on the good side of the local rancher and the forrest cops.

There's also a little informal range up in Mammoth, accross the San Pedro from the town. Not sure who owns it, or what the rules are (never shot there), but its a pretty good spot.

classicmachine
02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Are you saying that they frown on shooting south of Reddington Road? Can you provide more info?

Some of the best spots are about a mile or two in where the fence and open area is off FS road number 4417.

DaCapster
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
The land to the south is atv offroad trails.......last time there A POPO said they wanted to keep all shooting in the fist few areas before the 10/11 mile mark. I say BS to that....

jdowney
02-26-2008, 03:16 AM
The land to the south is atv offroad trails.......last time there A POPO said they wanted to keep all shooting in the fist few areas before the 10/11 mile mark. I say BS to that....

+1 on the BS! Best spots are right at the top and heading down the San Pedro side. 'Course, I don't live there anymore, so not really my business. Had to move out to NM where there aren't quite so many people.

I was just in the area a couple weeks ago, sampling a mineral claim up near Kearny. Great spot for shooting, though pretty far from Tucson.

pelos
07-12-2008, 02:54 AM
is table mesa still open to shoot