PDA

View Full Version : Very Late War MP44

Combloc
06-13-2015, 05:55 PM
This rifle will be the subject of one of my upcoming E-Books this winter:

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/Combloc/MP44/P1130523_zpsxpzaygyi.jpg (http://s870.photobucket.com/user/Combloc/media/MP44/P1130523_zpsxpzaygyi.jpg.html)

It's an XE/SWJ coded Steyr with a nice mixture of blued, phosphate and unfinished parts. To my knowledge, everything in this photo is original wartime production with the exception of the Leibermuster background which is experimental 1952 dated green Alpenflage Swiss. In the E-Book, we're going to look at all the little details from the markings and features on the rifle, the pouches and magazines to the spare parts with pouch and the always controversial web sling. It's going to be fun putting this together and, hopefully, you'll find it fun to look at and read. This will be one of several E-Books coming out at the same time including one about an original Type II FG42 and some other fun subjects too, some of which are post war. Stay tuned!

Norton
06-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Very nice spread and I am interested in late war German weapons and uniforms. The Swiss Alpenflage is a interesting back story. I understood this was going to be the Germans universal pattern, replacing both Dot and splinter patterns.

Combloc
06-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Yes sir. That's why I picked it. My understanding is that the German Leibermuster was very nearly identical in pattern but the colors were slightly different.

7.62guy
06-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Sounds like it should make for some very interesting winter reading. :coolgun:

Buckshot
06-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Pretty frigging neat - be interesting to hear some more about it.

Norton
06-14-2015, 11:15 AM
I understood Hitler did not want it to replace the full size Mauser round in the main battle rifle.
So they told him this will replace older submachineguns like the MP 28 MP 34 and MP 40.
the term Assault Rifle was used to please the old infantry Combat veteran know it all.

Assault Rifle

I like the sound of that.. Go ahead as planned

Then he turned 180 on the project giving it the go ahead and his blessing for future success.
(Don't know if that is just a myth that sounds like the truth)
Is it true?

Otherwise the Germans would have had the same debate NATO, Western and the U.S. ground forces had when they suggested going to some sort of intermediate round in the late 1940's early 1950's.

Also did the M 1 carbine have any impact of German thinking? I mean they would have been in daily contact with thousands of these and saw the potential, right?

pmanton
06-14-2015, 12:30 PM
WOW !!
Is it live?

Combloc
06-14-2015, 03:13 PM
WOW !!
Is it live?

Yes, it is.

jbruney
06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
It's want and need when I look at it. A beauty to behold.

hansellhd
06-14-2015, 09:37 PM
I understood Hitler did not want it to replace the full size Mauser round in the main battle rifle.
So they told him this will replace older submachineguns like the MP 28 MP 34 and MP 40.
the term Assault Rifle was used to please the old infantry Combat veteran know it all.

Assault Rifle

I like the sound of that.. Go ahead as planned

Then he turned 180 on the project giving it the go ahead and his blessing for future success.
(Don't know if that is just a myth that sounds like the truth)
Is it true?

Otherwise the Germans would have had the same debate NATO, Western and the U.S. ground forces had when they suggested going to some sort of intermediate round in the late 1940's early 1950's.

Also did the M 1 carbine have any impact of German thinking? I mean they would have been in daily contact with thousands of these and saw the potential, right?

I don't believe the 30 cal Carbine round had any impact on the German development of the 7.92x33 round at all. The Germans were having field trials for an Intermediate cartridge as early as 1935. (Geco M35 round)

The rest of your statement is correct.

Some great battle footage with the MP44.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9tQKOIQ1vQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tannenberg_Line

Estonian Waffen SS volunteers of the 20th Waffen Grenadier Div.

http://5sswiking.tumblr.com/post/94000225232/farewell-to-estonian-soldiers-from-the-20-waffen

The Boys who fought this battle. ^^^^^

HDH.

Norton
06-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Did the Germans issue this weapon to entire squads or platoon sized groups. Was it issued to Jr Officers NCOs and Squad leaders as a offensive on the move base of fire weapon.
Or simply as an extra weapon to boost firepower of the rifle company as in the case of the SVT 38 and 40 or Swede AG 42. Did the Germans have a doctrine as how this weapon was to be issued? Did it eve actually replace the Kar 98 at the platoon level in any units?

Example the M 1 Carbine was never meant to be a full time day after day front line rifle platoon weapon for typical Straight Leg Pvt 2 rifleman.

I understood it was to be issued only to either Jr Officers or enlisted RTOs in a plain rifle 1942/43 platoon. The Thompson would still be a NCO's weapon.
(I am not talking about mortars, Engineers, Weapons or other types of platoons attached to a company)

I have always wondered about this as I see photos of Soviet Army infantry with a mix of mainly bolt action and with a few autos.
Then other photos of Naval infantry with nearly all semi auto rifles with a few SMGs.

hansellhd
06-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Did the Germans issue this weapon to entire squads or platoon sized groups. Was it issued to Jr Officers NCOs and Squad leaders as a offensive on the move base of fire weapon.
Or simply as an extra weapon to boost firepower of the rifle company as in the case of the SVT 38 and 40 or Swede AG 42. Did the Germans have a doctrine as how this weapon was to be issued? Did it eve actually replace the Kar 98 at the platoon level in any units?

Example the M 1 Carbine was never meant to be a full time day after day front line rifle platoon weapon for typical Straight Leg Pvt 2 rifleman.

I understood it was to be issued only to either Jr Officers or enlisted RTOs in a plain rifle 1942/43 platoon. The Thompson would still be a NCO's weapon.
(I am not talking about mortars, Engineers, Weapons or other types of platoons attached to a company)

I have always wondered about this as I see photos of Soviet Army infantry with a mix of mainly bolt action and with a few autos.
Then other photos of Naval infantry with nearly all semi auto rifles with a few SMGs.

The Germans wanted to issue the Stg44 and the G/K43 to all combat troops but production of the new rifles simply did not keep up with demand. Another bottleneck was the production of the 7.92x33 Kurz round, they never had adequate supplies on hand and as the war went on it only became worse.

So they had to fall back on the good old K98.

If the Germans some how kept the war going till 1946 most of their troops would have been armed with the Mauser Stg45. (the rifle that became the CETME)

HDH.

gorbr103
11-01-2015, 06:29 PM
I'am interested in your E-book.It's a very interesting rifle.Especially the trigger group and how it works.I would like to know how it compares to later guns like the HK's and Cetme's.