PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got My 1919-A4

Buckshot
11-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Yippee, I finally got a 1919-A4 - built by OOW IMHO it looks great.

Not as cool as some of the folks FA 1919s, but still pretty cool for me. I always wanted a belt fed and this is the first. Need to do some reading and
studying to make sure I understand head spacing, etc (Perro thanks for the link on that) before I finish setting it up and shoot it. IMHO it looks great.

I had planned on ordering through OOW, but they are currently out, but Centerfire was also selling the OOW 1919-A4. Pleased with Centerfire.
To avoid the card fee I sent them a personal check and the gun was shipped the next working day after they got it (the check). Box was torn,
but packed pretty well and nothing inside damage. Actually the package came in 2 boxes. Tripod had it's own box. It looks great too.
Looks like I have everything I need in the package deal to get it up and running.

Sturmvogel
11-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Excellent Buck!! Congratulations on getting something that you've wanted for a long time.

Now... once you've read up and loaded a belt or two, let us know how it shoots/

Moleman
11-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Congrats on your 1919! Is it in 30-06 or .308?

Buckshot
11-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Congrats on your 1919! Is it in 30-06 or .308?

Thanks, it is .308 (7.62x51)

holescreek
11-11-2015, 04:47 PM
You're getting pretty serious about guarding that chicken coop!

Planning
11-11-2015, 06:01 PM
looks like a really good looking 1919a4.

You will be glad you went ahead and got everything at one time.

Ron

Milsurp
11-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Congrats on the new belt-fed.

Planning
11-11-2015, 07:24 PM
You need to get a surplus 2-1/2 and mount it on the back.
I got a picture today from one of the guys of the mount we welded the 1919 mount on.
Notice the steel runway welded on the sides. We also had some welded in the bottom of the bed of the truck.

Buckshot
11-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Ron, maybe just a good old jeep and mount one. Right now I am just admiring it, super windy - possibly dangerously so, tonight, plus I got it latter in the afternoon, so tomorrow
I will set it up in the tripod after checking head-space, etc. I want to make sure I do it right never having one before.

weasel_master
11-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Ron is that picture of camp Beverly in the late 60s? I've got almost the exact same photo from my step dad.

Congrats on the 1919. They are a hoot to shoot.

Planning
11-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Ron is that picture of camp Beverly in the late 60s? I've got almost the exact same photo from my step dad.

Congrats on the 1919. They are a hoot to shoot.

It is Cam Ly air strip in DaLat Vietnam. Yes, a lot of the places do look the same.

Planning
11-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Ron, maybe just a good old jeep and mount one. Right now I am just admiring it, super windy - possibly dangerously so, tonight, plus I got it latter in the afternoon, so tomorrow
I will set it up in the tripod after checking head-space, etc. I want to make sure I do it right never having one before.

If you can afford it just buy it.
We have a few guys that have the jeep set up with the 1919 around here.
It is a good looking set up.
I passed on a 1951 military surplus jeep several years ago. It was rust free and still had the original equipment. Needed some paint and seat covers.
It was one of those moments that I waited to long to decide and another guy bought it for his deer lease.

7.62guy
11-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Congrats on the 1919. It looks really good from the pics. I hope you have time soon to let us know how she shoots.

Buckshot
11-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Ron, maybe some day, but getting older and would like to complete a couple of firearm projects, get everything paid off and do some traveling while I can.
I doubt they are giving a good jeep away. I am really not sure what they are worth.

7.62guy thanks, I set it up today to see how it looks, but plan on breaking it down and check everything before I actually fire it. I have learned a lot about it
in the last couple of days, but still reading up and making sure I understand how things work.

7.62guy
11-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Really nice out in the daylight and set up. The head space is not hard and you will know when you feel right and ready to go. I have heard it said that mistakes with the 1919 will try to hurt you, mistakes with the M2 will try to kill you. So safety first. I had help from Milsurp when I bought mine. I also read everything I could and worked with mine until I felt comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together a few times. I think I learned the most about it by doing that. Keep us posted.

Planning
11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
There is a screw on the back. It is some times called a "Jesus Screw".
Don't mess with it until you have read the instructions on it.
I had a picture of someone that had twisted the screw and he had a well marked imprint of a spring across his forehead, he was lucky the screw missed him or he would have been dead or injured really bad.

SO! Why is it called a "Jesus Screw"?
Someone twisted it an then yelled "Jesus".

Order another head space tool, so when you miss place the one that came with it you will have a back up.
They are cheap, around $10 or so.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ron

You going to use the helmet to sit on while shooting it?

WildBillCody
11-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Now you need something like this....

Moleman
11-12-2015, 04:05 PM
There is a screw on the back. It is some times called a "Jesus Screw".
Don't mess with it until you have read the instructions on it.
I had a picture of someone that had twisted the screw and he had a well marked imprint of a spring across his forehead, he was lucky the screw missed him or he would have been dead or injured really bad.

SO! Why is it called a "Jesus Screw"?
Someone twisted it an then yelled "Jesus".

Order another head space tool, so when you miss place the one that came with it you will have a back up.
They are cheap, around $10 or so.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ron

You going to use the helmet to sit on while shooting it?

This guy wasn't as lucky with his 1919 mishap. http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47762-WARNING-TO-ALL-My-drive-rod-spring-accident

Buckshot
11-12-2015, 06:56 PM
It was pure armature hour and I had to stop many times and recheck my sources, but I got it broke down and head spaced. It will be much easier the more do it. It looks really good
inside and out, barrel is new, if I was told it was completely new gun I would believe it. OOW did a very good job on this. BTW I was really careful on the "Jesus screw (LOL). It should
be ready to go and first nice day I will try it out.

Planning
11-12-2015, 07:07 PM
This guy wasn't as lucky with his 1919 mishap. http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47762-WARNING-TO-ALL-My-drive-rod-spring-accident

That is the picture I was looking for.
Thanks for finding and posting it.
Ron

Buckshot
11-12-2015, 07:18 PM

Pretty ugly accident. I use to wing it a lot on these projects, but learned over time it was a good way to damage something or get hurt. With all the utube how to do it videos it makes
it easy now to get info on these projects.

Norton
11-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Congratulation Buck it looks great sitting on the tripod. I want to see a vid when you fire it

mitchstoner
11-16-2015, 05:51 AM
With all the utube how to do it videos it makes it easy now to get info on these projects.
As long as you keep in mind that a lot of stuff on youtube is pure ignorant crap!

BTW, Greg, I keep forgetting to check to see if I haven't got a can or 2 of linked .308.