PDA

View Full Version : Effective Fighting Distance in an EOTWAWKI Scenario

rjinga
04-08-2016, 08:28 PM
While doing a quick google search on the thread topic, I found the following blog: http://donaldmsensing.blogspot.com/2003/06/infantry-rifle-combat-distances.html

Assuming that the information presented in the blog is accurate, it fits with my personal observations here in N. Georgia. Unless the invading army/unruly mob/zombie horde is forced to cross an open field, or is driving down a long stretch of straight road, I think line-of-sight shots over 75 yards at a target without the advantage of cover would be rare.

What say you?

sdk1968
04-12-2016, 08:37 PM
kinda depends on how much property you have... my little hacienda 100yds is all the "clear" shot room ive got... could go longer across my neighbors..

but for many people in our hobby? they have lots more area they can cover.

the likely hood of me being in my house in this situation? only in the first few hours. after that? moving to better defensible location.

weasel_master
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
No need to fire a round up here. The end of the world usually starts in December and ends sometime in April, some years as late as May. Some call it the end of the world, us northerners call it Winter.

Silvera
04-13-2016, 08:43 AM
upon moving to the mountains here where I am I effectively more isolated but my plain of view was cut down and so was my "looting neighbors" was decreased.....but my wild game access was increased....

i'm concerned, but not worried....

Mountain girl is ready.....couple trees across the driveway (3/10 of a mile to my door) should at least slow down the machinery....I'll let the Cetme talk after that....

ptrthgr8
04-13-2016, 12:50 PM
No need to fire a round up here. The end of the world usually starts in December and ends sometime in April, some years as late as May. Some call it the end of the world, us northerners call it Winter.

I tolerate the winter's here (ND) because it tends to keep the riff-raff out. On top of that, being in the middle of the continent fairly far away from the major metro areas means we'll have plenty of time to figure out when the hordes are coming our way. And we pray it happens during the winter. :)

Each winter a few of us get together at a friend's place some point in January/February (when there's a buttload of snow everywhere) and drag out the Mosin Nagants for our own little "Stalingrad Shoot." Might be 0 degrees if we're lucky, but probably sub-zero if the wind's blowing at all (and it's always blowing in ND). We usually last for a couple of hours before we decide to move the party inside to warm up with a few cold porters. We have the proper cold weather gear so it's never been an issue of getting miserably cold, but it does make you appreciate spring/summer shooting all the more. And in the 10+ years we've been doing this winter shoot we haven't had a single rifle malfunction. It's almost like Mosin Nagants (especially the Finnish flavors) were bred to be fired in northern winter conditions. :)

Sturmvogel
04-13-2016, 08:07 PM
OK... lets look at deer hunting as an example.

Here in Pennsylvania, the majority of my deer have been taken at 100 yards or less; most were 50 to 80 yards out. Only one was long distance and that was at 227 yards... VERY uncommon here in the mountains where my Camp is.

Out the front here at home, I have a clear view of 200 yards to the left and 100 yards to the right... a bit of a hill to the right. Out the back... well right now, I have a field of view across the valley that's 300 yards. Once the trees leaf out, I have gaps to 300 yards, but mostly, it's 200 yards.

With large windows throughout the house and a large side porch, I have great views of the area in most directions. Still, all that said on my part, I think that Sgt. York was as spot on in WWI as he would be today at his yardage.

Tharper
05-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Up here, tucked-up tight against the Canadian border in Northern Maine, its a mixture - endless tracts of tangled, dense spruce woods to the west while local its vast open farm land interspersed with the most dense wood (spruce, cedar, alder, etc.) imaginable. I remember a few years ago we hiked into a site - it took us over five hours to cover 3 miles.One minute you can be scoping a 1,000+ acre field the next your stumbling through dense undergrowth wondering what's not yards but feet in front of you.

As with others my thought is that the extreme winter conditions and remoteness will keep most of the zombies away. Though as food gets more scares around the larger urban centers to the south they will no doubt migrate north.

The idea of regular winter practice makes sense - we hunt predators through the winter - it gives us a chance to not only test our equipment in extreme conditions but also field craft. Try ambushing coyotes. Sharp eyes, sharp ears and incredible sense of smell and how to use the wind and terrain to their advantage. In short they make the average domestic dog look like a brainless buffoon.

In regards to your question: I think the article is spot on - you have to see them first! Would I like to be able to make those 1000 m hits? Sure. But reality is different. My eyesight, my muscle control and above all the need to practice at those distances and beyond again, and again and again - something most of us rarely if ever have a chance to do. I have a 300 Win. Mag. just for such adventures - however, the very characteristics that make it a wonderful long range precision rifle serve as a liability in more common situations. In fact last year, it was the PTR that bagged both a deer and a coyote as opposed to the 300 Win. Mag.

Milsurp
05-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Don't know how this one slipped past me. We aren't a doomsday, end of the world forum here. If these are the topics that you would like to discuss please find a forum for how to kill zombies and any other invaders whether they are from outer space or here on earth living or dead.