PDA

View Full Version : One Shot?

rjinga
04-20-2016, 03:35 PM
As part of my philosophy of hoping for the best while preparing for the worst, I try to include some kind of “all enemies” shooting exercise every time I use my rifle. In my mind, that means some kind of drill where I’m often firing two or three quick shots at a target. However, when I was explaining this to my friend, the combat vet, his response was “Why?” He said his focus was always on a lethal single shot.

Once, when I was shooting at a silhouette target at 100 yards, the impact of the first shot knocked the target off the backer, and it fell out of sight almost immediately. As I looked up from my sights to try and figure out what had just happen, my friend said “That’s actually more like what it is like in combat.”

So, here’s my question, addressed primarily to those who have “been there, done that”: if the shooter can put a 7.62x51 NATO round in the upper chest center mass with the first shot out to 100 yards, will they really need a quick follow-up shot? Same question, but out to 200 yards? What about 300 yards? Etc.

Milsurp
04-20-2016, 05:08 PM
While this is not the type of topic we usually discuss here, as there are no self defense or how best to kill someone sub-forums. It will stay for now. But tread carefully in your responses!!!

rjinga
04-20-2016, 05:50 PM
While this is not the type of topic we usually discuss here, as there are no self defense or how best to kill someone sub-forums. It will stay for now. But tread carefully in your responses!!!

My apologies; please remove if necessary.

Lalvis
04-20-2016, 06:27 PM
For all targets and all ranges, I only fire when I have a target, and until there is no target or I feel I have hit that target enough.

Buckshot
04-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Long distance shooting - lets talk hunting instead - more realistic to talk about something many of us do, rather than something that is extremely unlikely to ever happen. Deer shot in the chest can go straight down, but
on a good chest shot can keep moving, (sometimes a fair distance) before going down. Sometimes it takes a second shot to finish them. Deer don't wear body armor or have friends looking out for them (LOL).
Buck fever, that big buck with the big rack walking out, start of the season, causes even experienced hunters to get the shakes and/or rush their shots, either missing or making a less than desirable hit. Like anything
else practice helps, but will never be like the real thing. Incidents involving self defense (car jacking, armed robbery, home invasion, etc) are always close up and although an individual's odds of being involved in one
are slim (unless you are in a bad area) make more sense to be prepared to defend against. At least it is pretty clear what the person(s) is/are up to not that person several hundreds yards away that may not be meaning
you any harm.

oldrifle72
04-20-2016, 10:20 PM
I have put very well placed hits on deer at close and far distances and still had them not even be aware that they were hit. Shot placement is critical but adrenalin does funny things. I have several friends that have taken multiple hits from 7.6sx39 and didn't feel a thing. The fight continued. I hope none of us are ever put in this situation.