PDA

View Full Version : Putting a wide bipod forend on a century arms c308

dgr416
05-29-2016, 07:33 PM
I just bought a like new green wide forend and a real HK bipod for it .I know the barrel has a little ring on it that makes it not fit .I saw on here somewhere how to do it but can't find it now . I wish it was a sticky alot of wide forends and some bipods showing up .Its well worth the trouble that plastic slimline forend heats up and can melt off the gun.The wide forend has a built in heat shield well worth it !

jdowney
05-29-2016, 09:02 PM
There were some pics in an old thread.... but at some point a lot of older pics went poof.

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?15246-G3-wide-handguard&highlight=cetme+wide

here's a more recent one with some pics:
http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?22402-Making-G3-wide-handguard-fit-Cetme&highlight=cetme+wide

There may be other threads, I quit looking when I remembered the pictures disappearing.

Barmonkey
05-30-2016, 11:22 AM
I just modified a wide forend to fit my C308. Look at the second link posted above and refer to the pictures on the second post of that thread by "nauner". I didn't need to take that much off. You will need to get some bits that can cut steel...sanding drums and stones aren't going to do the job. You can use them to clean things up after you get it to fit. I will post later on the bits I used. One of them was a tungsten bit that was fairly long and tapered and the other was essentially a smooth shaft with cutting grooves on the end (1/8 to 1/4 inch from the tip).

What I did was to first fit the forend so it seated at the back and forced the front up to where it hit the ring on the barrel. I then smacked the forend with a mallet from the bottom which made some marks where the ring contacted the forend. You should probably just scribe where to cut.

Anyway...it's gind-fit, grind-fit, grind-fit....until you get it almost fully seated. At that point you can scribe some marks where the little tab on the barrel (actually it is part of the triple frame sight base) meets the forend. You can then scribe marks to make the cut for that. I made mine so the cut was no deeper that it needed to be unlike the picture from the post mentioned above.

One trick I used was to paint over the cuts with black Sharpie before fitting. This will let you see where you need to cut more.

Hope this helps

Barmonkey
05-30-2016, 11:22 AM
That was my first post!!!

Buckshot
05-30-2016, 11:27 AM
That was my first post!!!

LOL, welcome aboard!!