PDA

View Full Version : Best paint for painting unfinished gunmetal? ie sandblasted parts from parts kit

John Galt
11-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Hi there,

I have some upcoming painting to do an an unfinished receiver. What paint have you guys found to be the most heat resistant and durable? Any suggestions would be welcome.

scottz63
11-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Duracoat for do-it-yourself.

http://www.duracoat-finishes.com/

M1 Tanker
11-20-2016, 09:29 AM
I'll second Duracoat. Do you have an airbrush and compressor?

Moleman
11-20-2016, 10:40 AM
I've used gunkote for a long time and been happy with it. If it's steel, gunkote or any similar finish is even better over Parkerizing.

specops56
11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
I've had excellent results with Brownells Alumahyde 2 in the spray can. It's an epoxy finish with no baking required.

Terry

tump
11-20-2016, 12:27 PM
I have only used the allumihyde II and it holds up good to heat and chemicals. Be sure to follow directions and get extra nozzels if you order it.

John Galt
11-21-2016, 07:55 AM
I'll second Duracoat. Do you have an airbrush and compressor?

No.

scottz63
11-21-2016, 07:59 AM
No.

I have seen really good finishes with the spray can Duracoat.

John Galt
11-21-2016, 08:00 AM
I have seen really good finishes with the spray can Duracoat.

Then Duracoat it probably is.

btw thanks for the fast response.

M1 Tanker
11-21-2016, 08:34 AM
I've only painted duracoat through an airbrush, if they sell it in a can, not sure how it is.

I've used Alumahyde II from a can and it works fine, BUT it takes weeks to dry. If you want to spray and shoot, I would avoid i.t

sdk1968
11-21-2016, 09:51 AM
i use everything listed in this thread & for different reasons.. heres a quick why for each.

DURACOAT/DURABAKE: a nice finish that holds up decent if you did good prep work & its pretty quick. decent coverage.

ALUMHYDE II: a very solid finish if you do excellent prep & follow the directions. it takes 2 weeks for it to actually finish curing... AWESOME COVERAGE if you need to hide any flaws, pits or uneven metal work.

KG GUNKOTE: teh absolute best finish look you can spray on a firearm. prep for it is easy. finish look is fatastic. BUT its so thin that it shows EVERYTHING. if you have a scratch in the metal... your gonna see it. its also the most expensive of these finishes.

overall? my favorite for top notch work that you took your time & have a lot of pride in? KG GUNKOTE.

if its just a tube gun or semi conversion that you are gonna beat around & maybe touch up? DURACOAT

if its a beater or your got blended steel or porous metal? ALUMAHYDE II they call it HYDE for a reason. :-)

Planning
11-21-2016, 12:37 PM
No.

When I Air spray guns, I go to Harbor Freight and get an air sprayer for around $10 to $12.
( I buy 3 or 4 when they are on sale)
I use it once and throw it away. I hate cleaning a spray gun.

Ron

they had the HVLP gravity feed SPRAY GUN last month on sale for $8.99.
it is small and light weight.
You can get a small air compressor there also.