PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

G
01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Does anybody heard if CMP is going to get anymore Garands? I heard talk about some in Korea or someplace they were trying to get is that ever going to happen? Or is the day of the CMP Garand over?

Buckshot
01-31-2017, 03:47 PM
CMP has made it clear that they do not buy guns to sell (not in their charter), so the Korean Garands/M1 Carbines they (Korean's) want to sell are out for them.
I have no idea if the Korean's have hung onto these Garands/Carbines after Obama barred import, or disposed of them. Also what kind of shape they maybe in.
Remember many of the Blue Sky Garands/Carbines from years ago were in very rough shape. If they still have them, maybe they will try to sell them for import
again (if the rules are changed not to block them), but it will be through a commercial importer. Maybe someone else has more info on this??

CMP has stopped sales of Garands several times over the years to get caught up, etc. No doubt their stockpile is running low, but I suspect they will list them
again. If so, there will be a heavy demand for them as people know the days of CMP selling Garands are about to run out. So if you want one make sure
you are qualified to buy one and be ready to get your order in. They take hard copy orders by mail/fedex, etc, only, no online gun orders.
Another issue I have not heard about for a while (as far as I know it is still a go), is how they are coming on releasing some of those 1911-A1s. I get their
new letter and nothing has been mentioned on status.

BTW CMP just doesn't throw Garands (or any firearm) into boxes and mail them, they have to be checked, graded, sometimes repaired and assembled, etc, so they can only process
so many at one time and do get behind. When they do get down to the last of their stock they will likely sell the remaining guns on their auction site. Nothing goes cheap there.

Maybe Orlando wll show up with some info, he follows this a little closer than I do, although I try to keep up with what is going on.

Buckshot
01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
I checked the CMP Forum on Grarand orders - folks that ordered back before the Sep 2016 cutoff on sales are still receiving their rifles. They much have run up a heck of a backlogged causing them to
stop their sales to get caught up. Hopefully when this backlogged is eliminated they will start taking orders again.

scottz63
01-31-2017, 06:39 PM
The last thing CMP posted about the 1911's

10/15/16 An update on the 1911’s…

The CMP is NOT authorized to receive or disburse the 1911s at this point. We have not yet received the approval required from the Secretary of the Army by the legislation.

Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

Buckshot
01-31-2017, 07:12 PM
The legislation was already signed by Obama changing CMP charter to allow them to sell .45 caliber guns and for them to receive the pistols from the Army so it is just
a matter of Trumps new Sec Army to comply - good times ahead. This could happen fast as my understanding is CMP already held a fair number of .45s, in addition
to those that were to be transferred, and likely has already done work getting them ready to release for sale. Obama's guy was just stonewalling.

G
02-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys! Sounds like I better keep my membership!

scottz63
02-01-2017, 04:55 AM
The legislation was already signed by Obama changing CMP charter to allow them to sell .45 caliber guns and for them to receive the pistols from the Army so it is just
a matter of Trumps new Sec Army to comply - good times ahead. This could happen fast as my understanding is CMP already held a fair number of .45s, in addition
to those that were to be transferred, and likely has already done work getting them ready to release for sale. Obama's guy was just stonewalling.

I better get my account set up there soon.

sdk1968
02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
i thought that order sent all those garands to them when they get stateside?

Buckshot
02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
i thought that order sent all those garands to them when they get stateside?

The Garands that were loaned to various countries like Greece, Denmark, etc, plus various organizations in the U.S. all went to CMP when they were returned.

The problem is Korea claims they were given these Garand/Carbines (not loaners), they own them and they want to sell them. CMP does not buy
gun for resale, and stated if these gun ever do make to the U.S. they would go thru a commercial importer, not them. Heck, does anyone know if
Korea even hung onto these guns after Obama banned their import? I suspect they still have them, but who knows - they may have disposed of them??

Two things happened last year. CMP old charter only allowed them to sell .30 and .22 cal rifles. The charter was changed so they could also sell
.45 cal pistols. The Defense Appropriation Bill (signed by Obama) also directed the Sec Army to release the remaining .45 1911s in it's inventory to CMP
for resale to the public. CMP was authorized to sell so many (I think 8,000 or so) per year until the supply as exhausted. It appear Obama's Sec Army
stonewalled the transfer and release of those weapons, including those already held by CMP, (which were still property of the U.S. Army). I think we will
see quick action on this from Trump's new Sec Army to comply with the law.

sdk1968
02-01-2017, 11:50 AM
excellent info & thank you. :tennis:

Eyeguy
02-01-2017, 09:32 PM
My order from 9/9/16 was delivered yesterday. Service grade, SA receiver and serial number dates it as manufactured 4/44. Haven't taken her all the way down but bolt and trigger group SA with an IHC safety. Barrel is HRA dated 6/55. New walnut furniture with CMP cartouche. Muzzle measures 1+ and throat at 2. Overall I'm pleased.

I thought CMP would continue to take orders and place you in the queue for back orders? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Buckshot
02-02-2017, 12:23 AM
My order from 9/9/16 was delivered yesterday. Service grade, SA receiver and serial number dates it as manufactured 4/44. Haven't taken her all the way down but bolt and trigger group SA with an IHC safety. Barrel is HRA dated 6/55. New walnut furniture with CMP cartouche. Muzzle measures 1+ and throat at 2. Overall I'm pleased.

I thought CMP would continue to take orders and place you in the queue for back orders? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Congrats on getting the rifle!! Naw, they cut off orders just after you did yours. Everyone that was already in the system (like you) were good and have, or will, get their guns,
there is no back order list.

Buckshot
02-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Just to be sure I queried CMP Sales and got this reply this morning ---

Sir,
If a rifle is posted as sold out on our website we are not accepting orders for them.
Our orders have gotten so ahead of the guys working on the rifles that we had to post them as sold out & stop accepting orders until we can get the backorders cleared up.
Thank you for your patience & support of the CMP.

scottz63
02-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Just to be sure I queried CMP Sales and got this reply this morning ---

Sir,
If a rifle is posted as sold out on our website we are not accepting orders for them.
Our orders have gotten so ahead of the guys working on the rifles that we had to post them as sold out & stop accepting orders until we can get the backorders cleared up.
Thank you for your patience & support of the CMP.

Nice. At least they still have them and are working to get them out.

drine
02-04-2017, 11:48 AM
I just bought 2 CMP specials. Winchester receivers new barrel and wood, etc. I sent in the paperwork with the order on Jan 12 and the rifles showed up 9 days later!! Getting back in the shooting game after some family losses and extra time at work.

Buckshot
02-04-2017, 11:53 AM
I just bought 2 CMP specials. Winchester receivers new barrel and wood, etc. I sent in the paperwork with the order on Jan 12 and the rifles showed up 9 days later!! Getting back in the shooting game after some family losses and extra time at work.

Super!! Glad to hear from ya! If you get a chance post some pictures of those specials so we cans see what they look like.

drine
02-04-2017, 12:03 PM

scottz63
02-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Wow! That looks brand new. Nice. :)

Buckshot
02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
You have a top view of that? IIRC the special were completely re-parkerized? Looks sweet.

drine
02-04-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm using an iPhone at the moment. Going to set up a new PC when time permits. The receiver and all metal is new park. Obviously the barrel and gas cylinder are black paint of some kind. Most parts in it are SA. They say some pitting on the receiver and there are tiny spots here and there. I promise to load more pics at work on Monday.

drine
02-04-2017, 01:00 PM

drine
02-04-2017, 01:02 PM
The other is in the case it came in. It was just a bit better like 98% versus 95% so this one is the shooter. Both have possible barrel vise marks behind the sight and little ding or two on the stock.

Buckshot
02-04-2017, 01:05 PM
-:thumbup:

scottz63
02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Looks good to me. I wouldn't have a problem owning that. Good buy.