PDA

View Full Version : PTR 91 GI Classic vs. Century Arms C308 1st 40 rounds

rjinga
03-18-2017, 12:51 AM
My very first rifle was a Century Arms C308 called Black Betty (bam-ba-lam); Ive owned her for about 1-1/2 years. My newest rifle is a PTR 91 GI. I have had her for three days and she is still un-named. I took the PTR to the range today and here are my initial impressions, compared to the C308, after 40 rounds:

The most noticeable difference so far is the felt recoil. After my very 1st shot with the C308 I remember thinking OK, this gun isnt going to fun to shoot. At the end of that range trip, my shoulder was sore, and the next morning I had a butt pad shaped bruise to go with it. I installed a HK 21 butt pad, and that helped, but my shoulder would still get a little sore every time I shot the rifle.

Today with the PTR, after the very 1st shot (with the HK 21 butt pad installed) I thought Wow! I barely felt that. It was just that slight push that Id heard/read other people talk/write about. And, as Im sitting here typing this post, there is no soreness in my shoulder at all.

The hand guard area of the PTR feels heavier than the C308 does. Im assuming thats because the PTR has a heavier/thicker barrel, but I dont know that for sure.

The fit of the PTR seems tighter than that of the C308.

I like the sights on the PTR better than those on the C308 too. The PTRs rear barrel sight adjusts for windage and elevation; you have to make those adjustments on the front sight of the C308. Im also able to focus on the PTRs flat blade front sight better than I could on the C308s cone-shaped front sight.

I think its too early in the round count of the PTR for me to say how well it groups compared to the C308. My first seven shots went like this: fire a shot, clean out the barrel (per the owners manual), fire the next shot and repeat the cleaning, etc. The manual called for 10 shots like that, but I ran out of cleaning pads after seven. I did have a 9x7 target at 25 yds just so Id have something to aim at other than the berm 100 yds away. I did not take a photo of that target.

Then I set a splatter target at 100 yds and fired the next 17 shots at it, off of a table rest with the open-top 100 yd rear sight. Id fire three to five shots, try to spot them with my binoculars (and poor eyesight), make mostly elevation adjustments, and then walk out to verify, and place stickers over, the holes.

http://i.imgur.com/mTIkqnE.jpg

I tried to cover the bulls-eye with the very top of the front blade, and my first set of shots was low. I think my three misses went under the target backer. Then I adjusted too much and when high. Then I adjusted again and was low, but closer. My last three shots are the circled splatters. I would have kept shooting and adjusting at 100 yds but it was getting close to closing time at the range.

So, I put a Red Dawn target (the bunker) at 50 yds and shot the rest of the magazine, 16 rounds, at it mostly just for fun.

http://i.imgur.com/YpgHcfg.jpg

The lower group of eight shots was taken with the top of the front blade covering the upper chest area of the target. The upper group of eight shots was taken with the top of the front blade covering the head area of the target.

rjinga
03-18-2017, 02:49 AM
And, if you exclude that one flyer (I remember pulling one shot)...

http://i.imgur.com/jSekcm9.jpg

scottz63
03-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Not bad at all for the first time out with it. Good job. :)

What ammo did you use with it? Did you have any malfunctions?

rjinga
03-18-2017, 03:29 AM
Or maybe it's not too early to compare shot groups? Could it be the rifle or the ammunition, or both? (I excluded one flyer from each photo.)

http://i.imgur.com/ICjRfaq.jpg

rjinga
03-18-2017, 03:34 AM
Not bad at all for the first time out with it. Good job. :)

Thanks!

What ammo did you use with it? Did you have any malfunctions?

Here's a photo of the ammo box; I'm calling it MEN16.
http://i.imgur.com/9zBrwAc.jpg

And no, I didn't have any malfunctions.

scottz63
03-18-2017, 04:13 AM
Definitely tighter groups with the PTR.

I have been meaning to try out some of that MEN ammo.

minton
05-07-2017, 09:49 AM
...fire a shot, clean out the barrel (per the owner’s manual), fire the next shot and repeat the cleaning, etc. The manual called for 10 shots like that, but I ran out of cleaning pads after seven. I did have a 9x7” target...

Saw your post, recently bought the PRI-91FR and I'm still digesting the above...a whole lot of swabbing and bore brush.

Are you bore brushing from muzzle or receiver end?

Thank you for taking the time to post your results between the two. (C308 & PTR-91)

I was considering the C308 but went with the PTR. Shoulder bruising was one of the issues I read about concerning the C308.

I see I need to stock up on pads especially with a 200 to 300 rd. break-in

The Great 308
05-07-2017, 10:25 AM
...fire a shot, clean out the barrel (per the owners manual), fire the next shot and repeat the cleaning, etc. The manual called for 10 shots like that, but I ran out of cleaning pads after seven. I did have a 9x7 target...

Saw your post, recently bought the PRI-91FR and I'm still digesting the above...a whole lot of swabbing and bore brush.

Are you bore brushing from muzzle or receiver end?

Thank you for taking the time to post your results between the two. (C308 & PTR-91)

I was considering the C308 but went with the PTR. Shoulder bruising was one of the issues I read about concerning the C308.

I see I need to stock up on pads especially with a 200 to 300 rd. break-in

I have always been told to clean from the receiver toward the muzzle. In addition to a standard cleaning rod with brush and then pads I personally also use a bore snake. Also for the cleaning rod I bought one of the nicer ones that is covered in a rubber like coating so that it will not damage the rifling as you slide it down the barrel.

minton
05-07-2017, 04:50 PM
...I have always been told to clean from the receiver toward the muzzle...

OK, that is what I was thinking.
[
...the cleaning rod I bought one of the nicer ones that is covered in a rubber like coating so that it will not damage the rifling as you slide it down the barrel.

I need to get a rubber coated cleaning rod and a snake bore.

Thanks!!