PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Ammo and M1 Garand

Buckshot
04-21-2021, 07:43 AM
CMP just sent this out. Just a reminder not to use most commercial ammo in your M1 Garand. There are companies, such as Privi Partizan, that make ammo
specifically for the M1 Garand.

WARNING!

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

luigi
04-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Saw that notice.

The problem for us ( reloaders ) is that some powder mfg's give their load data in CUP and some in PSI!! No math conversion unit from one to the other!!

They should FIX this to stop confusion and improve safety for shooters that reload!! I think all "new mfg" ammo goes by SAAMI specs..... which are

< 50,000 CUP.

Has Been
04-21-2021, 09:42 AM
Wonder what CMP thinks of this....

WildBillCody
04-21-2021, 10:23 AM
I wonder if it uses the same clip. These also help keep your Garand from beating itself to death. https://www.schustermfg.com/m1-garand-wwii-adjustable-gas-plug/

jdowney
04-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Its not just 70 year old rifles - I bought a modern M1a that had cycling problems, and a buddy and I eventually isolated and fixed the trouble with a new bolt. I don't know where the weakest spot is in that breech lock system, but I suspect the problem was lug wear from excessively hot handloads, the usual thing where a novice is going to be the next Camp Perry champion by devising his own hotter than hell load, wrecks his rifle with 500 or 1000 of those and then sells it and moves on to screwing up a classic car restoration or bungling some other hobby. Replacing the bolt just corrected half the problem but got it back into spec enough to cycle right.

In general, I don't like the practice of using hot loads in any military semi-auto. The only way to really be sure of longevity is to stick to mil-spec loads and stay away from commercial products better suited to hunting with a bolt gun.

Has Been
04-21-2021, 12:32 PM
CMP just sent this out. Just a reminder not to use most commercial ammo in your M1 Garand. There are companies, such as Privi Partizan, that make ammo
specifically for the M1 Garand.

WARNING!

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

So, does this latest announcement effectively render the previous recommendation null and void then?

scottz63
04-21-2021, 01:52 PM
I only shoot ammo through my Garand that is marked M1 Garand ammo. Privi and S&B 150gn.

Cavalryman
04-21-2021, 03:10 PM
InRange TV demonstrated that it is safe to shoot commercial ammunition in your Garand IF you use an adjustable gas plug and adjust it properly. The adjustable plugs aren't expensive and can be adjusted so that even with "Garand specific" ammunition you can reduce wear on the rifle by reducing the velocity of the bolt and operating rod. I have a couple and they work great.

Disclaimer: I didn't do the experimentation myself. I'm just passing on what InRange demonstrated. Do this at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_F1riBth8

The War Wagon
04-21-2021, 06:11 PM
Where's more Greek surplus when you NEED it!!!

Has Been
04-21-2021, 07:09 PM
Where's more Greek surplus when you NEED it!!!

IIRC, it's in this pile....somewhere....I think.��

sdk1968
04-22-2021, 08:56 AM
oh here is the thread where i should have asked the question..

where you guys getting your safe ammo for these nowdays?

& holy crap!! 458 in a Garand version of some sort?!?!

Has Been
04-22-2021, 10:37 AM
oh here is the thread where i should have asked the question..

where you guys getting your safe ammo for these nowdays?

& holy crap!! 458 in a Garand version of some sort?!?!
I have an ample supply of LC and HXP M2 ball and other than the odd clip or box at yard sales/flea markets I havent bought any in quantity in years.
I do have a couple handloads that would be appropriate should I ever run out as they are really nothing more than M2 ball duplicates with 150gr SP bullets.
I shoot these in an original Winchester Model 1895 SRC chambered in .30 gov't 06(30-06), as it's in the same boat as the Garand regarding max working pressure.
ETA: the .458 Garand was a conversion done by McCann Industries for a short period in the early 2000's.
M2 ball duplicate load data: