PDA

View Full Version : 1903, rock island rifle.

Planning
10-29-2021, 12:03 PM
Today I opened up a safe I had not been in for several years.
I found several rifles I had forgotten I had. 2 more PU rifles, mostly all matching numbers, I will post about them in another post later with some pictures.

The rifle I want to discuss is a 1903, ROCK ISLAND RIFLE.
The barrel is marked: U.S.M.C. 9-42, circle with an S in it.
My father bought them in 1959 or early 1960. He bought 3 of them and all 3 were new in the box. He paid $10 each for them. ($10 was a lot of money for a surplus rifle back then.)
He gave 2 of them to my uncles, so, I don't know what happened to them.

This is the one I have now and it was modified into a sporting deer hunting rifle and it was going to be mine when I got older.
The first thing he did was take it apart and then ordered a stock kit for it. We spent several evenings sanding on the stock and getting it to fit. After we finished it we took it out in the pasture and he fired off 5 rounds to site it in. I was almost 14 at the time so, I fired it 1 round, That was enough for me. 5 years later I took it deer hunting and shot 1 round and got a small buck. That was the last time I fired it. It has only had 6 rounds thru it.
I looked at the rifle and the only thing he did was modify the front site and change out the rear site. I am going to find a stock for it and a new front and rear site. ( I will keep the stock and site parts for when I pass the rifle to my son)
Pictures soon, I need to find my camera and charge it up.
Thanks,
OLD MAN REMEMBERING.
RON
ADDED NOTE: My first gun was a 4-10 bolt action shotgun from Sears. It cost $25. I was 12 when I got it for Christmas.

NOW: Post about some rifle/shotgun you have had that was/is special to You.

jkv45
10-29-2021, 12:19 PM
Can't wait to see it!

This is the only rifle I've ever been given, a sporterized Mosin dated 1890-something that my father-in-law gave me -

https://i.imgur.com/0cZuGLS.jpg

He used it for deer hunting in the 60s, and believes he paid about $50 for it at a hardware store in northern WI. I have fired a few rounds through it. Should probably fire some more.

My family didn't have guns. I've tried to make up for that...

I'm building a modest collection of mostly .30 cal battle and DMR rifles to hand down to my youngest son, who is an active duty Marine, when the time comes.

scottz63
10-29-2021, 01:05 PM
My Grandfathers 12 gauge. He bought it sometime in the mid 20's from Sears. He used it for 50+ years before he retired it. I picked it up from my Grandmother a couple of years ago.

jdowney
10-31-2021, 10:21 AM
My dad's 20 gauge Parker. Made in 1908, no idea where he got it but it was a project gun.

Maple is Maine birdseye he fished out of a pulp pond - logs sat in the ponds after being floated down river to a paper mill, and the water becomes very high in tannin from the bark. This piece of maple is abnormally dark in color as a result. He told me once that you can spot a maple tree with birdseye by features seen on the bark, but I still wonder that he managed to spot this in with a bunch of other logs. I've always suspected it made a better story than "buddy worked at the mill and pulled it out of the mill feed for me".

Its also got some teething marks on the fore end where his black lab puppy chewed it while he was working on other parts. I never knew that dog though, this was all long before my time.

Planning
10-31-2021, 04:33 PM
Found my camera.

Pictures, I have not taken pictures in a while, so these are not so good.
When the weather gets better I will take some pictures outside.

Planning
10-31-2021, 04:39 PM
Some where I have a double shotgun that was my dads. He got it from his dad, and I was told that he got it from his dad.
So it is very old, Now I need to go find it. If I can find it i will post some pictures.

Found it, made by WH MOORE & CO, London.
Fine Twist ? I guess that is the model.
They were made from the 1860's to around 1914.
( I don't think there is much value in them except for passing down in the family)
Double barrel hammer shotgun.
It is a wall hanger or used to take up space in the safe.
( never to be fired)

holescreek
10-31-2021, 06:11 PM
I inherited a "Diamond Arms" single shot 12 ga shotgun from my grandfather on my mom's side, grandpa used to rabbit hunt in his younger days, likely during the depression.

For you tool collectors out there Diamond Arms was the brand associated with the Shapleigh Hardware Company founded in 1843 and which in 1940 became associated with the Keen Kutter brand.

Norton
11-01-2021, 09:40 PM
I inherited a "Diamond Arms" single shot 12 ga shotgun from my grandfather on my mom's side, grandpa used to rabbit hunt in his younger days, likely during the depression.

For you tool collectors out there Diamond Arms was the brand associated with the Shapleigh Hardware Company founded in 1843 and which in 1940 became associated with the Keen Kutter brand.

Interesting as collect Blue Grass hand tools and that hardware chain also sold hammerless SxS from the turn if the century to about 1940. I had read that they bought branded shotguns made by a manufacturer that specialized in making store brand shotguns for sale in rural area hardware stores. I wonder now if Diamond made Bluegrass branded shotguns. Domyou have anymore information on the weapon?

Norton
11-01-2021, 09:42 PM
Some where I have a double shotgun that was my dads. He got it from his dad, and I was told that he got it from his dad.
So it is very old, Now I need to go find it. If I can find it i will post some pictures.

Found it, made by WH MOORE & CO, London.
Fine Twist ? I guess that is the model.
They were made from the 1860's to around 1914.
( I don't think there is much value in them except for passing down in the family)
Double barrel hammer shotgun.
It is a wall hanger or used to take up space in the safe.
( never to be fired)
Very nice I like the-straight stock without the pistol grip

Norton
11-01-2021, 09:47 PM
Found my camera.

Pictures, I have not taken pictures in a while, so these are not so good.
When the weather gets better I will take some pictures outside.

I have a soft spot for nice looking post war sporters. Especially 03 or M98. I like the story behind it, thank you for posting. The subject mater is great as many of us have our original deer or father’s, grandfather’s old rifle and shotguns. For me I have my mother’s, father’s and grandmother’s weapons. The irony is my mother was anti-gun, but was rather heavily armed with a brace of revolvers and model 97 Winchester

Planning
11-02-2021, 04:03 PM
Yesterday I was able to clear out boxes in front of a safe that some of the guns have been in for 25 to 30 years. i got it open and it was full of Enfield's, 1903's, and an Model of the M-1917, and some others. I took out 11 of them to look at and today I am working on cleaning them up a little. (may take a while). I will post some pictures when I get this batch cleaned up.

Norton
11-02-2021, 09:06 PM
Since some of the posts featured weapons given or passed down from father’s and grandfather’s
Here a few from me . My father had this Krag as his first deer rifle in the 1950’s and he paid $15
The early 32 H&R was purchased by my Grandfather when he opened his store in 1948 he paid $10
Later my grandmother bought an updated H&R 32 in 1968. My late mother’s as mentioned before was Anti-Gun yet had her private armory. This was one of her most modern weapons a H &R 22 from the 1970’s . She also possessed a Winchester M 97 12 gauge , H & R single shot 12 and a actual Colt 73 of pre war vintage. Sadly the Winchester and Colt were taken by other relatives. I was lucky to get the H&R. I just noticed my family seems to favor H &R .
Last point , after 911 my mother asked me for my M 1 Carbine to keep for a while. I told her no you have several shotguns and a Big Revolver, plus a 22 .. What do you want my carbine for ? She said quote ..”It can shoot many times without reloading” I said for someone who doesn’t like guns you seem to have a lot and have specific requests for additional. She ignored my question and asked again and I told her No.. But if you must I can lend you the 30 30.. She declined my offer

My father’s Krag that I too used

My Grandmother’s H&R from 1968 with it’s original box of cartridges along with my Grandfather’s and his original box of cartridges from 1948. Sorry the photo was placed at the bottom fir so reason

My mother’s H &R from sometime in the 1970s and her cartridges

Last some of my dad’s and uncles ammunition from the old days $5.20 for Krag not cheap. The Exotic Sako 270 was $5.90

scottz63
11-03-2021, 12:38 AM
Awesome collection there with the ammo as well.

Planning
11-03-2021, 04:43 AM
jkv45, scottz63, jdowney. holescreek, Norton, very nice guns. thanks for the pictures and the history. I am very happy to see that some are keeping the guns in the family.
I have been sorting out my Mom and Dads guns to my kids, my brother and his kids. I have one more rifle and one shotgun to give out. ( both of these were my Moms)