PDA

View Full Version : Sokolov mount pic thread

wonderwolf
03-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Anybody have pics of their Sokolov mount? I've been wanting to get one for my soon to be finished 1919 kit and make a adapter for my 50bmg bolt action when it gets done as well.

weasel_master
03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
I wish I would have picked one up when Coles had them for $3xx something.

IMBLITZVT
03-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Here is mine... well with the Maxim on it. I would not think to long. If you can find one buy it now. Stocks have pretty much run out and the price should quickly get to $500. They are well worth the money.

I personally felt like I wanted the M2 Tripod for the 1919a4 and went with that in the long run.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/phiteshe/Dsc01712.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/phiteshe/Dsc01708.jpg

wonderwolf
03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
I got a 1919a4 USGI kit on trade this past week and would be willing to trade it for a Sokolov mount... It's a nice looking mount I think. How does the T&E work on those?

Private Fuzzy
03-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Dang, how much do those weigh?

IMBLITZVT
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
They are about 75-100lbs.

The T&Es are ok. but you have to lock them down or they will screw down when firing. No clicks... just a screw, like the vickers tripod. I like the T&E on the M2 tripod better.

wonderwolf
03-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm guessing you don't take the bullet shield when you go to a shoot. I know it looks cool but did they ever really use them?

IMBLITZVT
03-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Do I type like a pussy? :) Of course I will take the shield when I get the Maxim working! Mines got a bullet hit on it... the fins did not use them much but the Russians did.

wonderwolf
03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Ummm I wont answer that at this time :nar:

Does the base move forward and back on the mount? I see index holes on the sides so I'm assuming it does. Any printed material on these mounts?

IMBLITZVT
03-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah the base moves forward. Nothing printed that I know of except whats in the Devils paintbrush which covers all Maxims and its a great book! Well worth the money.

wonderwolf
03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I've been kicking around the Idea of getting "The devils paintbrush"....We just started spring quarter today so I'll have to see what I got left after I rape my book fund. I've been reading Emma gees over break.

wonderwolf
04-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Are the wheels on these wood or cast steel? I saw one over the weekend that we just plain wood no paint or anything. Or were those the early models? I'm going to look at a few today for weasel master and myself...maybe pick up a 3rd to keep around

IMBLITZVT
04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
All wood on the Maxim 1910 model.

wonderwolf
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
FOUND THEM hehehehe :hide1: :melt: :icon_lol: :box: :sterb126:

LostInTexas
04-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Kewl! Mind reveiling your source and price?

Thanks,
LIT

wonderwolf
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Got them from a local guy on trade for my 1919 kit and the other one for $350ish He has another one but the lock box was worthless on it. I might pick it up from him as barter material down the road if I can.

IMBLITZVT
04-11-2007, 07:22 AM
I will take the lock box if you want to get rid of it.... IMA charges a $100 for one with a lock box.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/phiteshe/Dsc01712.jpg

bas@gunpics
04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
A bit redundant now but in case others are interested here are some pictures of my Sokolov mount:

http://www.gunpics.net/russian/maxim/maximdis1.html

IMBLITZVT
04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Thats a very nice website you have there. I have been there many times before!

SteelCore
04-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow...mas cool. I firured the sield would stand up to flak and flying debris well, but man...stopping a bullet. Is it hardened steel? How thick?

wonderwolf
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
WOW...these things really are solid as a rock. I laid down the gun for 200 yards and it took about 3 clicks to walk it in to the dirt clod we were aiming for. Once it was on it was not going to go anywhere. With the A6 flashider on the gun it looks 10X better than with the normal flash hider. I need to make a loop spring for the elevation dial since it didn't come with one. I think the next thing on the list is to make a ammo can adapter and maybe some spade grips.

bas@gunpics
05-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice pictures Wolf!

One question though does mounting it like that take away from the fun of shooting it?

fal_762x51
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
You need spades Wolf. :icon_mrgreen:

wonderwolf
05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
The only thing I noticed was the gun didn't move AT ALL so no felt recoil...it felt like a .22 ...I was thinking it might just a little but it was like solid rock in there. I can see now how they can get such great long range accuracy like McBride talks about in his books with these heavier mounts than with the tripods which is why I went with it so I don't get bounced around plus it just looks cool and you can sit on it.

We shot the 1919 with the A6 stock on it and bipod but that was uncomfortable cause we were shooting downhill and not off the bench

The pictures are coming out so nice with the gun and the mount that I think I'm going to take a lot more. I have a pile of RR ties in the back yard dad got to reline the garden with later this month and I'm thinking build a mock up of a machine gun parapet / nest.

I think IMHO these mounts are the best thing that ever happened to machine guns save vehicle mounts. they are very sturdy, well built, very mobile as far as being able to wheel it around goes. Tripods are light weight and you have to sand bag them down if you want to get consistent accuracy with them. I have never shot my 1919 off of a tripod. Though I have shot several others off of tripods. Including a potato digger at a 1000 yard range when I was 13 or so. But that was a big heavy mount that you could sit on if I remember right.

My hair in the picture is no longer like that. I tried to lay down to sight the gun in and it kept getting in the way so I told my friend it was time to give me a buzz...So now I have a short hawk and the rest is buzzed.

fal_762x51
05-04-2007, 04:09 AM
The M2 pod doesn't move with my 1919. I don't have a Sokolov mount to compare. Hint, hint; want to give me one?:wohow:

IMBLITZVT
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
The only thing I do not like about the Sokolov mount is that there is no Clicks in the elevation adjustment. I find my gun will knock down the elevation if I do not lock it after every adjustment. I do really like my M2 mount. Light and its nice have a natural "spread". However any of the mounts on concrete move a little!

wonderwolf
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Does the elevation dial on your mount move freely? They are supposed to have a wire spring in there to keep them from moving. I know its not a audible click but it might help. I dunno if the us pods have clicks or not never really used one and dialed it in. I cant wait to do some long range shooting with this thing

IMBLITZVT
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Got a picture of this wire clip? Where would it be? I might have one and its just gummed up. But my friend has one from another source and it does not have one either? I need a good close up picture.

Rampager
05-04-2007, 03:03 PM
IMBLITZVT, you have some of the neatest guns in your collection I've ever seen! I love that older stuff like that.

wonderwolf
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I'll have to take a picture of my mount...weasel_master's mount has one but it was not clipped in. So I put it in before it got lost or misplaced. I have some thin music wire I'm going to try to use to make a replacement on mine. It keeps tension on the dial so it moves when you use the elevation knob. Instead of just kinda spinning freely. We'll see but tomorrow I may be picking up another sokolov as trading material. :icon_wink:

IMBLITZVT
05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Rampager, I am glad you like them. Hopefully they will all shoot one day. I also have other guns like the MG34 and 42 and dp28.

Wonderwolf. Please to take a pic when you get the time. I am very interested!

wonderwolf
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Didn't I post a pic of that part already??? dang I swore I did...anyways...my sokolov is getting a great workout this summer...lots of shooting off of it with the 1919a4...soon to be water cooled look-a-like when I get my tube in. Then it will really look bitch'n. I have a extra one I would like to get rid (I still have that one set back for you Ryan so don't worry) of if somebody is REALLY looking for one and not just kicking tires.