PDA

View Full Version : Century is shipping M-53’s – finally!

Rampager
03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Just got a call from my Century sales rep (Gitta). She wanted to know if I still wanted the M53 (MG42 clone) I ordered ages ago saying they had 1 ready to ship and I was one of the earliest on the list.:airtight:

Still priced at about $2100. I began to think it wasn’t going to ever happen. Anyhow I’m excited! :rockon:

So for you others that got on the list early they are beginning to trickle out finally. Just hope it was worth the wait. Wasn’t Wiselite making these for Century? Even though it's not really an MG42 it's the closest I'll ever get to owning own.

So it’s finally on its way! :jumping:

Buelligan
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I cant wait to see it.

brewskzilla
03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Now, that sounds like it would be fun to own. I'm totally jealous.

weasel_master
03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Hopefully you were wise enough to stock up on ammo while you waited. Good to hear they are shipping. I bet accessories and spare parts get hard to find real soon.

Planning
03-20-2008, 07:21 PM
i am trying to make until april 1 before i buy a new gun. i have not gone 1 month in over 25 years where i did not buy at least 1 gun. i already am missing my ffl. i have gotten some very good offers this month. i'll will make it, but it is not going to be easy thing for me to do.

i have 5 of these on back order now from century and have to descide if i am going to get them. i have a lot of ammo and stuff i have already bought for them.:airtight:

Rampager
03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Hopefully you were wise enough to stock up on ammo while you waited. Good to hear they are shipping. I bet accessories and spare parts get hard to find real soon.

Yeah I think I'm pretty good on 8mm for it (5 cases of Romy and a case of Yugo). It's not something I'll be shooting a whole lot so I feel comfortable with that. I bought the ammo and some 8mm ammo cans and belts back when I ordered it (took Planning's wise advise back then :wink: - Thanks Planning :thumbup:

I want to get one of those MG42 tripods (post war) with the scope before they dry up.

weasel_master
03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
i am trying to make until april 1 before i buy a new gun. i have not gone 1 month in over 25 years where i did not buy at least 1 gun. i already am missing my ffl. i have gotten some very good offers this month. i'll will make it, but it is not going to be easy thing for me to do.

i have 5 of these on back order now from century and have to descide if i am going to get them. i have a lot of ammo and stuff i have already bought for them.:airtight:

Although I encourage your endeavor to make it a month, the m53 is a fun gun. Even if it doesn't get shot much, it's still a cool gun and good investment.

Rampager
03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Although I encourage your endeavor to make it a month, the m53 is a fun gun. Even if it doesn't get shot much, it's still a cool gun and good investment.

Thats what I figure too. Totally impractical, big, heavy and all…but very high cool factor IMHO :airtight:.

I want it just to have/collect if you what I mean. I think they will go up for sure once they are done making them if they run halfway decent, at least when you look at similar type belt guns. Doesn’t matter to me though.

My gun buying fund is about wiped out now for a while though :wink:.

At least my dealer let me order it at cost, all I pay is the $20 transfer over cost.

sdk1968
03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
yeah weasel master is right.... whether its a mg42 or a yugo 53 its a great gun.

your gonna love it if they got it right and if they used the same rear section that all of us are using to build them they have no excuse not to as teh kit runs great...

im gonna tease you a little with pix:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/dutigaf/mg42sa.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/dutigaf/MG42-1.jpg

if shooting one of these doesnt do it for you..... GIVE UP!!! lol

IL DUCE
03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
S-W-E-E-T

I want one bad!!!!

Rampager
03-21-2008, 05:23 AM
yeah weasel master is right.... whether its a mg42 or a yugo 53 its a great gun.

your gonna love it if they got it right and if they used the same rear section that all of us are using to build them they have no excuse not to as teh kit runs great...

Very nice sdk1968!
Knowing that these can be a very difficult build to get to run in semi, Century’s involvement makes me nervous. The only thing that makes me somewhat optimistic is that they are using Wiselite receivers which from what I’ve read are very good/well made receivers for these. That and these guns were in production delays for over a year, which hopefully means that they wouldn’t begin releasing them till they got them right which is a huge change from Century’s past. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

weasel_master
03-21-2008, 05:32 AM
SDK, what finish did you use?

As far as quality, they released a few to be tested and sent back. I believe Dan from Angola Armory was one of them.

sdk1968
03-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Weasel Master: you dont remember?? lol we talked about the finish on another board.

its Caseys Birchwood Perma Blue.... done by my instant blueing tutorial set up for the "old used look".

Rampager: far as we've heard all of Century's stuff is by WLA. the rear section that WLA ran as a test batch to a bunch of us was very nice and not too bad to work with. almost everything was perfectly located and if you use PIRATES grip and bolt set up all the early problems the test guns had have been fixed and it runs like the old R@ped Ape...

Pirate
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
if they are selling for $2100.00 buy all you can! if you figure
m53 kit $375.00

receiver $950.00

semi mods $350.00

total parts $1675.00

a reweld will set you back even more. if there are problems they won't be anything insurmountable. remember BRP sold thiers for $5000.00

Rampager
03-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Those M53 kits have really gone up lately compared to what they were just a year ago. I should have bought some then. I think Wiselite is out of receivers for these too.

I think it was actually like $2187, but also no sales tax (out of state for me), free shipping since it's over $500 from Century so other than the transfer I mentioned thats it. Can't beat it for a gun like this IMHO.

The thing is I don't know much about the MG42/53 so this will be interesting for me to say the least.:icon_biggrin:

weasel_master
03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Weasel Master: you dont remember?? lol we talked about the finish on another board....

I recall it now. hehe. Too much going on sometimes I guess.

sdk1968
03-22-2008, 12:49 AM
heh heh...... was gonna tell you that you were getting old. :-)

Big Steve
03-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Rampager, If you would, after you get it could you post some pics of the fire control group? I am just interested in what they finally came up with.
Thanks, Steve

Rampager
03-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Rampager, If you would, after you get it could you post some pics of the fire control group? I am just interested in what they finally came up with.
Thanks, Steve

Sure, no problem Steve.

turbothis
03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
yes please! certain minds would like to know.:builder:

Rampager
03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Got the M53 today!

I must say I’m impressed so far.:thumbup: The serial starts with WLA so I’m assuming it is indeed a Wiselite build.

First off, it came in a plywood crate that was well packed with foam custom fitted inside for this gun. Came with 6- 50 round belts, 1 ammo can and 1 green rain poncho. It also came with 2 very user friendly manuals, complete with diagrams and pics showing the basic breakdown, basic usage, loading, ammo etc. Probably the fullest manual I’ve ever received with a gun…and it’s s good thing cause I don’t know squat about belt feds.

As for the gun…It’s a lot heavier than I thought it would be! Looks to be of very good fit and finish for a gun of this type. Came with a bi-pod too. The buttstock appears to be black painted wood, I may strip it to a wood finish…don’t know yet.

I took a few pics for now as I’m still playing with it and studying it (like we all do when we get new toys). I’ll try to get some better pics up later as it’s dark in my garage and raining outside here right now. That and I’ll try to get some pics of the trigger details and such as I figure out how to take it apart.

turbothis
03-25-2008, 07:35 PM
looks pretty nice. i dont know why they always weld the recoil spring spacer to the bolt? i made mine to slide in the rails on its own. works fine.....

weasel_master
03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I know little about most of the mg42 stuff but I believe yours is an mg42 adjustable bipod. The m53's are different as ar post war bipods. Again, this may not be perfectly correct as I don't know it all.

M1 Tanker
03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Congrats man! if ya have any questions, fire away. I know a few of us have one already and can help ya out.

Very interesting on the commerical/mil spec ammo engraving. I know why, but I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

weasel_master
03-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Forgot to add, it does look good. Remember, range report as soon as you get it out. I'm sure once you fire the first belt, the wait will have been well worth it.

hunter_la5
03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I hate you so much right now... :icon_biggrin: looks great, get us a range report asap!

bolex
03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
You will be supprised on how fast you will eat up the ammo. Those 50 rd belts go fast even in S/A.

Rampager
03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Good to know there are folks here that can walk me through this if I have questions...and I'm sure I will. Just seems like such a different animal than anything I've owned. I think these guns are cool as hell though.

I figure I’ll only shoot surplus in it, I’ve got plenty of Romy on hand. the manual recomends Romy steel case, Yugo, and Czech and says not to use Turk and commercial ammo...military spec only.

On the bi-pod I don't what which are used on what types, but yes it is adjustable, you can turn a knob in the center under it and it raises and lowers it via the legs.

I just noticed the trigger group housing appears to be all new, milled from a solid piece of steel.

bolex
03-25-2008, 08:19 PM
looks pretty nice. i dont know why they always weld the recoil spring spacer to the bolt? i made mine to slide in the rails on its own. works fine.....

To keep the slot for the hammer to stay in position. If it rotated it would block the hammer from hitting the firing pin. I guess you could place guides on the spring extension to prevent that from happening but I haven't seen that done before.

turbothis
03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
give me a second!

turbothis
03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
took about 2 minutes 53 seconds to make. slides like butter too. this way i dont have a skanked on piece of tubing on my nice bolt, and it is faster and more flexible.

wwIIBuff
03-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Looks great

Big Steve
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Nice pics! But could you dig a little deeper? Top and side shots of the gripframe. And the bolt disasembled. Firing pin, FP spring and locking wedge.
And how about a shot of the buffer. :icon_biggrin:
I know its a brand new gun, but you are going to have to learn how to take it all the way apart to get all of that corrosive ammo nasty out anyway.:thumbup:
Thanks Ramp, And have fun with it!
Oh, by the way. That poncho is to put over it to keep drool off of it!
Steve

sdk1968
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
it looks nice,

and thats a nice looking bolt extension... have you had any trouble with the rounded top hitting on the feed tray?

Big Steve
03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
it looks nice,

and thats a nice looking bolt extension... have you had any trouble with the rounded top hitting on the feed tray?

Good eye 1968! It would damn sure hit on mine. Not the tray, but the track.
Steve

turbothis
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
it does not hit on anything. i build my own receiver so maybe that is why.

sdk1968
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
thansk Steve.

turbothis: oh ok, that makes a lot more sense! you could have left mor room in the top area that way....

and i like how you've got it set up to go onto the back of the bolt.

yes mine is welded onto the bolt, but im not using the WLA bushing either, im using a "improved Pirate bolt & FCG".... much much smoother.

congrats ona great gun!! and yes you can burn up a lot of ammo quick with this even in a semi!!

Rampager
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Steve, will these pics help you?

Rampager
03-26-2008, 04:41 PM
one more on the other side of the grip frame. Let me know if you need anything else. I noticed the recoil spring is sort of threaded into the bolt carrier, also there is another spring inside for the FP, but I didn't dig it out for the pic.

BTW, is there a bolt hold back on these? The manual mentions making use of the bolt hold back and I can't find anything of the sort...or are the talking about inserting something in it to use as such. I'm looking for a catch, button or something and I'm not seeing it.

Also anyone know where I can find a sling swivel for the grip frame?

sdk1968
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
most of us with the WLA set ups are making our own hold back on the ratchet plate... all you gotta do is make you a little notch or a weld bump to hold it back after it passes it.

id psot you a pic.. but im still at work.

Big Steve
03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Hmmm, Two piece FP. With two springs. What is that tube? Does the ejector bar go through that or is the ejector bar built right in to that tube? Does the FP extension fit pretty snug in that tube? Did you say the grip frame is steel? It looks just like Panacabeachbums except his is Alum. The safety looks just like my setup. Does it have a little arm welded to the back of the AR trigger that goes back to the safety button?
Thanks for sharing! Inquiring minds want to know!
Steve

Rampager
03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Yup 2 piece FP with 2 springs.
The tube (in the 3rd pic) contains the rear FP and goes inside the bolt assembly. Inside this tube is the rear FP/ spring. What looks like tabs on this FP tube (as I'll it) in the pic is actually a bar that goes the full length of it and slides in a groove flush in the top of the tube (It’s laying on its side in the pic).

I first thought the GF was steel (hadn’t had it off yet), but I checked it again now that you mention it and yes it is aluminum. And yes it appears to have a little arm going back to the safety as you mentioned.

BTW, I was going through the manual and it says – all warranty repairs, questions or claims should be addressed to the manufacturer at: Wiselite Arms, etc…so I assume they did indeed do this build as I thought, and will do any repairs if need be (hopefully it won’t need any). But at least that makes me feel good knowing that I won’t have to deal with Century if there should be any problems, that and the monkeys didn’t have a hand in this complex gun...this is a big deal to me.

They make mention too of a “belt sizing die” when servicing the belts ie – check proper size with die, clean with a brush and lightly oil. So do I need to buy a sizing die?…wouldn’t an unfired case work the same? Also what oil do you guys use on your belts?

It also says do not use WD-40 as it is flammable and can cause in excessive in chamber pressure…I don’t use it anyway, but I thought this was interesting. And it says to run it “wet” unless you are in the desert

Do you guys use grease in place of oil anywhere on these guns?

M1 Tanker
03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Ramp,

My grip frame is aluminum too and I got mine from Beachbum. It works fine.

I have a belt loader and it has a cleaning brush/sizer built into it. Just oil them with some break free and maybe a spent casing and you should be fine.

As to grease, I only grease the feed arm in the top cover because my bolt feed roller doesn't roll. Give them rest of it a liberal does of CLP/Break Free and fire it up.

Whatcha using for ammo?

Rampager
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
M1,
Thanks for the info.
I'll be using 8mm Romy steel cased surplus.

I noticed the ammo can that came with this gun is slimmer than the other 8mm ammo cans I have. The 8mm rounds are too long to fit in it...do the belts go in at an angle or something? There is a spring/wire latched on the inside bottom of this can also if that has anything to do with it.

M1 Tanker
03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
You have a post war 7.62 Nato ammo can Ramp. They look the same, but they are definately different sizes. What you are looking for is a WW2 camp. Not sure what you mean by spring/wire inside the can....got a pic?

Chris

sdk1968
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Big Steve,

there are several different designs that have been frun now and the Pirate 2 piece firing pin set up with the FAL FCG in a steel grip is what im using on the WLA rear. its flawless and absolutely kills ANY primer with out piercing it.. ive got pix of it in my build thread if you want to see it.

the ejector still works exactly the same.

Pirate
03-28-2008, 08:30 AM
the 2 peice firing pin is the best. is has less tendancy to bind and if it gets damaged is cheaper and easier to replace.

Big Steve
03-28-2008, 09:29 AM
the 2 peice firing pin is the best. is has less tendancy to bind and if it gets damaged is cheaper and easier to replace.

Pirate, Does your 2 piece FP have a spring on the front pin?
1968, Where is your build thread?
Steve

sdk1968
03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
BigSteve,

thought i posted it here.... but its all over the place. lol heres a link to it at GUNCO

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f113/mg42-sa-complete-pix-36166/

Pirate
03-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Pirate, Does your 2 piece FP have a spring on the front pin?
1968, Where is your build thread?
Steve

no, but you can easily add one. my design is simpler, it encases the striker in a tube that is attached to the locking wedge. the tube rides in the rear of the carrier in the ejector ring and makes the wedge lock up straight eliminating binding, the striker is supported on both ends.
http://projectguns.com/mg421.html

sdk1968
03-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Steve,

a lot of these guns are running ok on the 1 piece pin, but im a fan of "best & newest"... so im always updating my builds and how they work.

the FAL FCG & bolt work by PIrate is way way smooth!! and if you loo at my grip you havea very hard time noticing that anything is different from the original.

Longhorn789
05-14-2008, 11:48 PM
So are these actually shipping now??

Wiselite is about five miles from my flippin house and both times I have contacted them they say I need to go thru CAI.....

Dang...

I got half a mind to just go bang on their door with $2k in cashola and say "Gimme a dang M53 Slappy!"

LostInTexas
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey Longhorn,

If you do, give me a call and we'll ride up together, I've got one on backorder and it's killing me.

So are these actually shipping now??

Wiselite is about five miles from my flippin house and both times I have contacted them they say I need to go thru CAI.....

Dang...

I got half a mind to just go bang on their door with $2k in cashola and say "Gimme a dang M53 Slappy!"

Longhorn789
05-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Longhorn,

If you do, give me a call and we'll ride up together, I've got one on backorder and it's killing me.

Will do..

Longhorn789
05-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Traded a few emails with the local sales rep...

Wasn't able to offer any real update or additional info....

He didn't even know who the retailers are that offer them....Not one..

What was it that Sgt. Schultz used to say??

LostInTexas
05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Doesn't sound too promising... Hmm wonder if I can talk the misses into a TNW 34 instead...

nevada
05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm impressed they knew it would be raining when you got it and added a pauncho. Beautiful gun.