Thread: 223 muzzle device question.

Banned

223 muzzle device question.

I have a wasr-3 I would like to put a muzzle brake on. I know that I can thread it 1/2-28 like an AR, but would I have to turn the barrel down any? Does anyone know what the best way to do this would be? Or has anyone had this done. Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by automatman View Post
    I have a wasr-3 I would like to put a muzzle brake on. I know that I can thread it 1/2-28 like an AR, but would I have to turn the barrel down any? Does anyone know what the best way to do this would be? Or has anyone had this done. Thanks very much.
    If it is the same as my SAR-3's.... I was going to thread mine for the 1/2-28 and was thinking about it. Then one day I was messing around and I grabbed one of the 14MM ak brakes I had. Long story short there was a slight interference fit. I mean it would not push on but if I grabbed the brake with a rag and a pair of channel locks it threaded itself on.

Back off and a drop of loctight red and back on it went. Been there for a year now. YMMV.

Just a thought.

Talking 223 muzzel device

Here's a link to to a cook book post on how I drilled out an M16A1 flash hider and mounted it to my Saiga 223 with set screws in dimples in the barrel. Hasn't moved and works as a flash hider just like it does on an AR. The only difference is you would not have to cut off the end of the shroud that the Saiga has on the end of its barrel.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=33280

Last edited by imarangemaster; 02-22-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Veteran
    DPH has a flash suppressor that doesn't need threads. It fits over the front site and has it's own threads. I picked one up at the funshow today. I'll install it tomorrow and let you know how it works. It's a neat design and looks good, if it works as good as it looks, it's a winner. I'll post picks and report tomorrow.

Banned
    If it is the same as my SAR-3's.... I was going to thread mine for the 1/2-28 and was thinking about it. Then one day I was messing around and I grabbed one of the 14MM ak brakes I had. Long story short there was a slight interference fit. I mean it would not push on but if I grabbed the brake with a rag and a pair of channel locks it threaded itself on.

Back off and a drop of loctight red and back on it went. Been there for a year now. YMMV.

Just a thought.
    I think I may try that, I ordered one and when it gets here I will let you know how it did. Thx.