Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Gun Show, FFL Only?

Austin Gun Show, FFL Only?

Anyone been to the Austin Gunshow? No FTF sales? Found this on the promoters web sight.http://texasgunshows.net/default.aspx We Texans need to wake up and find out Whats going on here. Im thinking it's APD trying to flex a little muscle, we need to get an explanation on this. I am E-mailing the promoter as soon as I am done posting this,
    Last edited by vpost; 01-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.

looks like they are making their own rules now
    rt ds rt h

trying to close up what they call the gun show loophole. i have heard a lot of talk about it, but they have'nt tried anything like that here in fl. at least not yet. hope you all can find a way to stop it.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

I'm wondering how they can legally do that?????. Of course we Texans don't have to go spend any money in Austin unless you don't mind your rights trampled on.
    jst a thought

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    trying to close up what they call the gun show loophole.
    I wish people would realize that there's no such thing as a "gun show loophole", the whole idea is a lie. Private sales of firearms between individuals have always been legal, whether at a gun show or not. The "gun show" has nothing to do with it, it just happens to be a convenient place for people to meet and buy/sell/trade LEGALLY. They could just choose to meet in their private residences or in a parking lot, the law is the same. Buying/selling at a gun show does not magically circumvent any laws! It's legal anywhere.
    Last edited by hunter_la5; 01-16-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Awarded by a grateful public!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
    I wish people would realize that there's no such thing as a "gun show loophole", the whole idea is a lie. Private sales of firearms between individuals have always been legal, whether at a gun show or not. The "gun show" has nothing to do with it, it just happens to be a convenient place for people to meet and buy/sell/trade LEGALLY. They could just choose to meet in their private residences or in a parking lot, the law is the same. Buying/selling at a gun show does not magically circumvent any laws! It's legal anywhere.
    Depends on the states. In NY it is illegal to do a FTF at a gun show. I just make the person buying it pay the transfer fee/NICS fee from the FLL. Usually $20. It sucks to find an FFL willing to do it sometimes and some give you a hard time about it. Also the law is states that if you meet someone at a gunshow you can't go to the parking lot and do the sale of a week later somewhere else. The gun show promoters ideally should have at least one FFL willing to do the NICS check for free. The could comp him with free tables or something.

It does suck when you have someone willing to buy something at the end of the day but they need to get more money. I abide by the law though because with my luck it would be an undercover agent.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_crawler View Post
    Depends on the states. In NY it is illegal to do a FTF at a gun show. I just make the person buying it pay the transfer fee/NICS fee from the FLL. Usually $20. It sucks to find an FFL willing to do it sometimes and some give you a hard time about it. Also the law is states that if you meet someone at a gunshow you can't go to the parking lot and do the sale of a week later somewhere else. The gun show promoters ideally should have at least one FFL willing to do the NICS check for free. The could comp him with free tables or something.

It does suck when you have someone willing to buy something at the end of the day but they need to get more money. I abide by the law though because with my luck it would be an undercover agent.
    I feel for you, NY is more the exception than the rule. When I lived up in Maine it was always easy to find a dealer for transfer, but maybe that was because I knew several already, and that was before the days of NICS checks. I don't think I've even bought a gun at a show since NICS started - always been at an FFL's place.

In AZ and NM, where I've lived the last 20 years or so, private sales are perfectly legal, one reason I like living out here. When I moved to AZ the newspaper still had a classified category for guns. Now they only allow FFL's to list, but I think few bother any more.

The first time I read this thread through, my only reaction was "No surprise from what I've heard of Austin". Is it a city ordinance or county? I'm a bit surprised the show organizers are playing along though, seems like a real good way to get a gunshow to move to a nearby municipality where they don't get hassled.
    Last edited by jdowney; 01-17-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Austin malarkey....Don't care for the place anyway, but going TU in this manner is just not right.
    Joe
    COG#1453

My response from the promoter, y'all need to listen to this especially hour 3.
    We need to support this guy as much as possible.

Vince

Thank you for your response. If you have the time and want to know what really happened, please go to:

www.gcnlive.com/directory.php

The Alex Jones Show archives 1-18-20 hour 2 & 3
    Darwin will be on the show again tomorrow at 1pm because of new developments.
    Thank you

Austin is the only place in Texas that would even attempt anything like this... Too many immigrants from Kommiefornia.
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson