Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another old family toy

Talking Another old family toy

This was my Grandpa Joe's...As a family we've hardly fired the thing through the years. It only takes a few shots and you're broken of ever having the desire to shoulder it again.
    He bought it new in 1928 just so he could claim that he had a Browning shotgun...I share his sentiments and so did my father.
    Do any of the rest of you guys harbour fear of these things? Perhaps my family just has sensitive shoulders.

Thumbs up

VERY nice! I'm the black sheep of MY family, so I'm not getting ANY of my dad's guns. It's a nice piece of family history - I'd put a slip-on rubber buttstock over it, and blast away. That's what Grandpa would want.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

a real browning humpback...from your grandfather!

cherish it...keep it lightly oiled and enjoy it once in a while....it's a beautiful classic!
    "If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that it was you that tried"

A real treasure take it duck hunting or just shoot it again at some clays.
    I think in 1928 they still used 2 1/2 shells and a 2 3/4 wont fit. But I could be wrong what does the barrel say? Anyway I like your grandads shotgun you should feel lucky to have it.. Rather than it ending up at some gun auction.
    Or having some buzzard like realitive sell it.. Grandpap's gun let's sell it!
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

My dad has an old beat up one in his cabinet. He took off the recoil pad and and used a red, white, and blue milk jugs and traced the pad on flat parts, cut out and installed them again. Now between the stock wood and pad it has a red, white, blue pin stripes! Not much to look at but its deffinetly a classic.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

It is 2 3/4....As for shooting in general I'll take an 870 or 1100...The older I get the more I really take note of recoil. This booger feels like it invented recoil, but it has never in it's history refused to chamber and fire a round.

Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    This was my Grandpa Joe's...As a family we've hardly fired the thing through the years. It only takes a few shots and you're broken of ever having the desire to shoulder it again.
    He bought it new in 1928 just so he could claim that he had a Browning shotgun...I share his sentiments and so did my father.
    Do any of the rest of you guys harbour fear of these things? Perhaps my family just has sensitive shoulders.
    Take a look at how the recoil bushings and rings are arranged. They were designed to be re-arranged according to the loads being used, but hardly anyone gets a copy of the users manual on these when they inherit one. A lot of these were set to fire low brass, and will pound you shooting high brass.
    I've encountered a number of these old Browning patent shotguns that are even missing one of the recoil rings. If I can find it in my stuff I'll post a copy of the instructions on how to arrange the recoil rings and bushings for heavy loads.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Ahh, now I can tell... (he he he).
    My gramps hunted warewolfs (nazi freaks) with his FN, 1946, custom.
    This thing is special to us as it was his and we love his memory.
    the A5 has a funky flash supressor (ya, strange unless you know what this hunted) with a threaded muzzle attatchment.
    I have never seen an other b-A5 like gramps' A5. (evil laugh).
    My brother also has an old remington police/military, all hacked up I want to restor but it is his (well one of his) special shotgun given to him by a Green Beret.
    Do you know what happens when good people carry lethal weapons? Their mentality changes from passive to active, vulnerable to protective, powerless to empowered, dependent to independent. Very simply, they become more responsible and more capable of doing good.

In fact, they make up the very fabric of a free America. This is the whole concept of the unregulated militia.

David Kupelian

I would really appreciate that information if you can find it...I tried to dove hunt with it years ago and it was still bad with the field loads.
    I view it as I did my first motorcycle...Great to look at, but no fun with the rigid frame.

I shot a chipmunk with my Gramps's one at 7, scared the crap out of myself and got a likkin for messin with the shotgun when he was pissin.
    I love these shotguns, shot my first bunnys with it. Got my forst pheasents with it. Heavy but functional. God bless John Moses Browning!
    Do you know what happens when good people carry lethal weapons? Their mentality changes from passive to active, vulnerable to protective, powerless to empowered, dependent to independent. Very simply, they become more responsible and more capable of doing good.

In fact, they make up the very fabric of a free America. This is the whole concept of the unregulated militia.

David Kupelian