Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All we need here is a Pot Belly Stove and a Coffee Pot

All we need here is a Pot Belly Stove and a Coffee Pot

As I set here today tinkering, waiting for parts, reading a few posts and chiming in too much because I'm bored,,,,I think back to when I was growing up. Their was an auto repair shop down the street from where my Dad had his shop, and all the guy who ran the shop had for heat was a pot bellied wood stove. There were two or three old car seats there, that "Old Man Taylor", as we called him, had welded some frames under and had them arranged around the stove, so guys could set and eat lunch or drink coffee next to the stove. He always had a blue enameled coffee pot on the stove in the winter, and in the summer it set on an old hot plate. You could always smell the coffee, even over the smell of gear oil, grease and gasoline. I don't know how or when it got started, but usually all the guys in the neighborhood would gather in there at lunch time and after work. The discussions held in that garage were not too much different than what we do here on this site. Guns, hunting, fishing, cars, building stuff, politics, fixing problems etc. Every once in while it would get pretty heated up. Every once in a while guys would be laughing so hard they would have tears in there eyes and gasping for air. Every once in awhile it was somebody elses turn to get poked fun at and ribbed a little. The old guys picked on the young guys sometimes. And the young guys scoffed at the wisdom spewed forth by their elders. And every once in awhile some guy would get mad and stomp out. But he'd be back, eventually. The sessions held around that stove didn't always take up a lot of time, but they have all become timeless.

It was a different world back then, and a lot of things have changed since. The world moves a lot faster all the time and we all have so much going on that places like "Old Man Taylor's" garage just aren't practical. Now we have chat rooms and forums, blogs, Facebook, My space, Your space, Tweeter or whatever the H-E double toothpicks that is.....But I find more and more that the same spirit of that old garage lives here on these pages, and in the cussin' and discussin' that goes on here. This is, for the most part, a great group of guys, friends without faces, a collection of guys with varied experiences and common interests. Well, maybe some not so common.....but anyway, I think about "Old Man Taylor's Garage" and come to the realization that despite the fact that we are separated by the electronic, digital curtain of the internet, all we lack here is the pot bellied stove and the blue enameled coffee pot.....
    Last edited by bladeworks123; 07-31-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

To be completely honest about the subject all I can say is that it was a much better time. Folks actually knew their neighbors and looked out for them...Kids had friends and played games other than video....I for one miss the 50's and 60's when you didn't have to bolt the house down to leave for a few hours, or even the entire day because the neighborhood would police itself.
    My Dad's office on the harbor had much the same atmosphere...Now I'm sad for the loss of an era and way of living.
    Joe
    COG#1453

No doubt about anything you said. I wish my kids were even interested in knowing about the way we grew up, but they aren't. You tell them about the way things used to be, and ........... You obviously know what I mean. I'm sad for them also. And yeah, like you I'm sad to see the rapid dissapearancee of that era, and way of life. By virtue of the fact that you are here on this site so much, a regular as it were, maybe you find a little bit of that still here like I do,, like I said, not in reality but in spirit.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

i feel your pain j and realize what you say blade. Luckly at work i have a group that three of us gather for lunch and have cussin and discussin time. every now and then others will join us i like it because we have known each other for a few years. of course at 22 i am the youngest but we all get along. Me and the older guy work together (same department, i'm his backup) and it is our job to gross out the third guy. politics, guns, pasts etc are discussed. Hell i got a origional nintendo at 10 or 11 (first time playing video games) we kids played army outside. But here i do fell that sense of the lunch group and chewing the fat.
    We will leave no man behind. Unless you're an a$$hole. Then good luck.
    If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough. -Butch W.
    Now complete with C&R
    COG#1072
    Military Firearms answer to Will Ferrell !

I guess it is a different era. Yesterday, as I went through the garden gathering up stuff I realized the 17yo brother-in-law of mine was nowhere to be found. You guessed it, on the video games talking through a mic to another gamer somewhere. Nothing wrong with playing them, at 43, I do sometimes. But he's not helping and it's his family's garden. I stepped on the soapbox and proceeded to tell him that at his age, I was in my 4th week of basic at Ft Benning having graduated HS 6 weeks prior. The blank stare I received back was all the answer I needed. Lost and no sense of direction.
    We complain of all societies ailments but Blade has hit on one of the root causes, no time for our fellow man. You would be way more inclined to stop and help one of the stove buddies out and surely go an extra mile for him than just a stranger. Too many "strangers" now, no time to hang out.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

at 30 now i cant think of any friends that hang out other than wave as they drive by.

around here all the old places are now closed and things are expensive.
    have cnc mills, will work for food.
    http://www.gunsnorthwest.com/

Quote Originally Posted by drine View Post
    I stepped on the soapbox and proceeded to tell him that at his age, I was in my 4th week of basic at Ft Benning having graduated HS 6 weeks prior. The blank stare I received back was all the answer I needed. Lost and no sense of direction.
    I am with you drine.

My son is just about the same age as I was when I was in Navy OCS.

When I tell my son about going to college, joining the Navy, going to OCS, nuclear power school, submarine school and then to the fleet to make 6 deterrent patrols, he looks at me with the "why would anyone do that look".

It was a different time.

Thanks,

Hoover

There are many things kids today take for granted, and have no appreciation for the fact that the past couple of generations have brought to them. My kids are seldom even amazed by the fact that in just my lifetime there have been the coming about of every day things that they take for granted like;

TV
    Calculators
    Computers
    Printers
    Copiers
    Cell Phones
    Digital cameras
    The digital watch
    Video Games (Remember Pong?)
    CD's
    MP3's
    Digital media storage
    Fast food
    Satellite telecommunication
    Space travel and exploration (Where were you on July 20, 1969?)
    Microwave ovens
    Dishwashers
    Riding lawn mowers
    Malls
    Wal Mart
    Disposable razors
    Air conditioners
    Lasers
    Nano technology
    Human organ transplants
    More than two choices of Soda Pop
    Motor Homes and RV's
    ATV's
    And my kids would say......Yeah I know, but you left out dirt and rocks....
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Senior Veteran
    I just want to add my chip in, as one of the young guys, that I found something scary out the other day....

I have an adoptive family. Friends in truth, but family in exercise. Nothing I wouldnt do for them, any time of day. Anyways. my "Brothers" sister has 4 kids. One is 11 or 12 or so. 6th Grade.

She has a better phone than me.

And she has three classmates with I-Phones (she doesnt have one)
    One of those classmates has the newest version (600 + Data Plan, I priced them for someone else)

W

T

F

I dont spend alot on my phone, g/f just gave me one of her old ones because it was better than the one that I bought and she wasnt using it anymore. But since when the hell did kids a a middle class area start carrying IPHONES?!

*sigh*

I am 23, and I feel like the old stick in the mud.

-E

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Nostra View Post
    I dont spend alot on my phone, g/f just gave me one of her old ones because it was better than the one that I bought and she wasnt using it anymore. But since when the hell did kids a a middle class area start carrying IPHONES?!

*sigh*

I am 23, and I feel like the old stick in the mud.

-E
    And if my work did not "give me" a Black Berry, I would not have a cell phone or other electronic device.

It seemed much, much simpler when we just had land lines.

Thanks,

Hoover