Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTK: HK USP .40 for concealed carry

Veteran

WTK: HK USP .40 for concealed carry

This would be my first HK handgun. Looking for pros and cons for the gun in general as well as for a primary CCP.
    My concern is it may be a little large for good concealment. I am 6'2" and weigh 165-170, so I have a slim build.
    The gun seems to be priced right at $500 with three mags included.
    Thanks for letting me know what you think.
    COG#1958
    OK, Jokes over. Bring back the constitution.

I have one and it is probably slightly big for CC without a large overcoat. Wintertime might be ok, but in summer with just a Tshirt, "My what is that large protrusion from your hip?" They make them in compact and I believe subcompact. Its deffinetly a good shooter, I shoot mine better than my XD(M) .40
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Yeah the full size is a bit much for concealed carry but I like carrying my HK USP compact even with just a t-shirt, it works well for CC. I have both by the way and have tried both so I know.

Man, that is a great price, I take it that it is a full size USP? What kind of shape is it in? At that price I would think it would be in rough shape but still worth the buy, they are great pistols.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". - Ronald Reagan

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." -Ronald Reagan

That is a decent price on an HK USP.
    The compact version is illegal here in Mass and earlier used ones that are compliant with the Party's regulations are significantly more than that.
    I have handled and fire two or three and as soon as I'm out of here one might join the crew. I like it better than the XP.
    Fed Ord M1A, SA M1 Garand
    DPMS M4gery, M1917 Eddystone
    M1897 Trench, Springfield 03A3, USGI 1911, CETME
    FAL, Sharps 50-70 Saddle Ring, Yugo M70AB2, Galil

Veteran
    our agency hates them we have USP 2000 and they blow, went from a glock to that I am not biased though

Well...

only shot/handled my buddy's USP in .45, and its pretty big and wide, about like a Ruger P90 in .45. Definitely bigger than a 1911 or my SIG P220 in width. Price sounds right, tho. If you feel a fullsize pistola is easy enuf to manage inn CCW, then get it. Fullsize XDs in .40smith will be slightly more compact, and frankly those XDs are pretty nice shooters, too.

At 20 paces, the HK USP in .45 is a fine and accurate shooter, using the weaver stance and keeping an eye on the front sight.

Of course, if you use a small of the back holster, you'll be able to conceal slightly larger pistols I wouldn't, however, go much larger than a 1911 for that, as you have the comfort issue to deal with, as well.
    USMC Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

The USP is actually smaller than the XD(M). I have both and just compared; The XD(M)'s grip is about 3/4" longer and barrel/slide about 1/8" longer. It does carry 3 more rounds though...but if you need 3 more rounds to bring down a badguy after the first 10 from the USP....
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

I thought the USP was wider/thicker tho...

Veteran
    Thanks for all the input.
    Looks like the one I was looking at is not available now, or should I say he has decided to keep it for now.
    I think when it comes available again I am going to get it anyhow. Even if I can't use it as a CCP I don't think it will be a bad addition.
    COG#1958
    OK, Jokes over. Bring back the constitution.