Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Concealed Carry Rules

PA Concealed Carry Rules

I am in PA from CO and have a CO concealed carry permit and can't find very detailed rules about carrying in PA. I looked at pafoa.org, www.handgunlaw.us, www.gunlaws.com and the links off pafoa.org.
    Are the rules very relaxed or am I not looking in the right place. The rules look about like CO's no schools, fed buildings, courthouse, bars etc. There are some rules in Philly I am not sure about but I don't think I will make it there.
    I am on foot in Williamsport when I am not working so if I go any where its by foot power or bus. I mostly want to know if I can carry on a bus? I will call the bus station to find out.
    Are there any places I cant carry like mall or movie theaters?

Look to see if PA has pre-emption What that is, is a state law stating that local governments cannot violate or change the laws inside their jurisdictions. There was a spat about that in Georgia, when the City of Atlanta decided to ban firearms in certain areas and the State said "oh, no you dont..." There was a stink about carrying in the airport, and on MARTA, and the State told Atlanta "tough cookies." If PA has pre-emption, then the state laws apply everywhere, including the large cities, regardless of what the city governments try to tell you.
    Last edited by brewskzilla; 12-03-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    USMC Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

I just looked it up for you and PA DOES have pre-emption. That means you can tell people who tell you that you can't carry in the city to smooch your hiney. Yes, you can. As for the specific laws, I'm having trouble finding them, but will post as soon as I do.

It is unlawful to carry into a government building, i.e. a courthouse, school, ect... But Busses are Kosher... so long as they're not school busses.

I am a PA LCTF (that is our CCW).
    You may carry in bars and churches.
    You may carry in a car or on a bus.
    You may carry in a bank.
    You may carry in government buildings provided it is not a courthouse, the state police barracks, or a jail with more than 1 cell (you must still consider federal prohibitions like post offices). If the state prohibits you from carrying in that building they must provide a seperate entrance with storage for your firearm.
    Malls and movie theaters are fine.
    A business may ask you to leave if they want, but there is no law that says you must obey a sign that says they don't want you there if you are armed.
    There is pre emption in place, and the laws are state wide.
    If you are an LCTF (CCW) Philly has no rules that do not apply to the rest of the state.
    The special rules in Philly only apply to OPEN cary, and if you are licensed to carry they don't apply to you.
    Carrying a firearm does not constitute reasonable suspision, and if you are aproached by a cop you are not compelled to tell him you are armed, you just may not lie if he asks you directly.
    I hope that is helpful, enjoy our beautiful state
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

Thanks all.
    Call the Williamsport PA bus and they said "NO FIREARMS" on the bus.
    I send the bus company a nice e-mail asking them how safe is there "gun free zone"?

You may carry on the bus.
    They have the right to refuse you service if they know you are carrying, but you have broken no law if you ignore their rules and carry anyway.
    They have told you their policy, but it has no bearing on the legality whatsoever.
    If they are publicly funded they may NOT refuse you service even if they know you are armed.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

check out the state ag's website.

and im pretty damn sure oblivionboyj's mistaken about philly. afaik, a pa ltcf is good anywhere in pa EXCEPT "first class cities" of which philly and pitt are the only 2 in pa. you would need to get a special one from the chief of police in either of those cities to carry there.

Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    I am a PA LCTF (that is our CCW).
    You may carry in bars and churches.
    You may carry in a car or on a bus.
    You may carry in a bank.
    You may carry in government buildings provided it is not a courthouse, the state police barracks, or a jail with more than 1 cell (you must still consider federal prohibitions like post offices). If the state prohibits you from carrying in that building they must provide a seperate entrance with storage for your firearm.
    Malls and movie theaters are fine.
    A business may ask you to leave if they want, but there is no law that says you must obey a sign that says they don't want you there if you are armed.
    There is pre emption in place, and the laws are state wide.
    If you are an LCTF (CCW) Philly has no rules that do not apply to the rest of the state.
    The special rules in Philly only apply to OPEN cary, and if you are licensed to carry they don't apply to you.
    Carrying a firearm does not constitute reasonable suspision, and if you are aproached by a cop you are not compelled to tell him you are armed, you just may not lie if he asks you directly.
    I hope that is helpful, enjoy our beautiful state
    What he said!

I got this from the PA Open Carry website:

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

Just a few points to be aware of:

Philadelphia is called a City of the First Class, so in Philadelphia you can open carry, but you must have a PA License to Carry Firearms to do so. In reality, open carry can lead to your detention, arrest, and firearm confiscation. So, its in your best interest there to conceal.

That is the only restriction on carrying a firearm in PA. Philadelphia must honor those states that PA has reciprocity.

Colorado and PA have reciprocity aggrements, check their website for confirmation:

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp