Thread: sar-8 permanent brake removal

New Recruit

Question sar-8 permanent brake removal

I had an sar-8 made in genesco,il with the aluminum receiver, shot at minimum 9000 rds and all of a sudden the bolt would take 90 ft pounds to chamber 1st round, fired another 12 clips like this without a single malfunction though. The gun had a lifetime warrenty so it was shipped back to factory. they stated they did not know what was causing problem and offered a m1a for free. anyway after some negociations the deal went m1a national match preban with nm flash hider/bayo, factory installed w/ letter + $370.00 and no sar-8 back, excellent deal. "This sar-8 had a welded on flash hider". bought a ptr-91 it did not like to eat any more than 30 rd's with out cleaning of any of 5 diffrent surplus ammo I own. I started searching for another sar-8 and found one lnib "never fired", it works excellent. This has a much lower serial# than 1st sar-8 and the only 2 diffrences bettween them is 1- the mussel brake on this one is not welded on the barrel, CAN IT BE UNSCEWED AND A G3 FLASH SCEWED ON. does anyone know if there is a hidden pin on it? before I try to unscew it. I also have a hk g3 barrel with flash hider and this one has a visable c-clip to remove before unscewing. There is no visable clip holding on sar-8 brake, no welds and it appears to be threaded on. The manual reads like the earlier one that mussel brake is not removable.
    the only other diffrence was on the width of the cuts for scope mount on top of receiver, they where 65,000th" narrower, yet the side rails where identical. a little filing solved that problem, not to say it was easy filing on a brand new rifle. both rifles manufactured by springfeild out of genesco,il. both have the dimpled aluminum receiver with green furniture. 1st rifle in the 2500 serial # range and the recently accuired one in the 900 range. Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Well to shed some light on it, your original SAR-8 was a late model version when Springfield Armory began using the large, bulky aluminum receivers. Usually they were problematic but some owners reported no problems. Since Springfield Armory no longer carries/imports/sells the SAR-8 they will take most of the rifles back in trade for a M1A. You got a pretty good deal out of it.

Generally they don't command a high price because they don't look aesthetically like the rifle they're based on, the HK91/G3. Springfield Armory did sell SAR-8s that had a stamped receiver like the HK91/G3,

As for your question, I'm not certain about the SAR's muzzle brake but many members here who have CETME's removed their muzzle brakes by finding the pin. Usually its located in the 6'oclock postion of the brake and a little filing tends to reveal the spot weld holding the thing in place but this is for the CETME.

I don't know how Springfield attached their muzzlebrakes.

you got a great deal ot of that Sar 8. Nice

Quote Originally Posted by wwIIBuff View Post
    you got a great deal ot of that Sar 8. Nice
    What he said!
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

Veteran
    i have a SAR-8 that was made in EBO, Greece, stamped receiver. the fake flash suppressor was pressed on and pinned. found pin at 6 oclock position about 1/2 inch from rear of suppressor, after removed pin i was able to remove fake suppressor. end of barrel was threaded, but threads were crushed when suppressor was pressed on. i rethreaded to 14x1 RH and put the AK74 type muzzlebrake on it.

New Recruit

Smile Thanks for the great info

thanks