Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HK vs Cetme Locking Piece

New Recruit Private

Locking Lever spring

The locking lever spring for the HK will not fit on a Cetme too. Bought one yesterday and it is to big.

From post #17 above.......just in case all my blabber helped to confuse you at all....

"But again, once you build the rifle as a CETME or as an Hk, because of the differences in the bolt carrier assemblies and cocking tube lengths, It will always be a CETME or an Hk from that point on."

Or like J fowl and M1 said, tear it completely apart, make a parts kit out of it, throw all the CETME parts away, buy a new reciever and all Hk parts to rebuild it with.....(not really realistic when you think about it)

If you want an Hk, sell the CETME and buy an Hk. Apex still has some nice British G3 kits. If you have a CETME that functions good, it is every bit as reliable, accurate and durable as the gun it fathered. In some ways it's better.

BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

maybe a little off the subject. after i bought my century cetme, i learned that things like the original reciever were cut out and destroyed. then i heard about compliance parts. i've never been completely sure how much of the gun was still spanish. i did buy a parts kit and tried to compare the two. but then i saw the kit had a third position on the trigger pack. so thats either a replacement or has been modified. along w/ the muzzle brake. then i also heard alot of these builds start w/ a g3 reciever.
    so i imagine that all the guts are still original spanish. (correct me if i'm wrong)
    also when they had them. i was buying cetme mags from tapco. one statement they made was you could use cetme mags in g3, but not the other way around. since they were so damn cheap i bought a g3 mag just to try. fit better than the cetme mags. i also installed utg tri rail fore end on it w/ absolutly no modification.
    i've owned this thing for a lot of years. and i'm still trying to figure it all out. i guess it all depended on the builder.

Quote Originally Posted by nonleathal View Post

maybe a little off the subject. after i bought my century cetme, i learned that things like the original reciever were cut out and destroyed. then i heard about compliance parts. i've never been completely sure how much of the gun was still spanish. i did buy a parts kit and tried to compare the two. but then i saw the kit had a third position on the trigger pack. so thats either a replacement or has been modified. along w/ the muzzle brake. then i also heard alot of these builds start w/ a g3 reciever.
    so i imagine that all the guts are still original spanish. (correct me if i'm wrong)
    also when they had them. i was buying cetme mags from tapco. one statement they made was you could use cetme mags in g3, but not the other way around. since they were so damn cheap i bought a g3 mag just to try. fit better than the cetme mags. i also installed utg tri rail fore end on it w/ absolutly no modification.
    i've owned this thing for a lot of years. and i'm still trying to figure it all out. i guess it all depended on the builder.

I guess Century did some different things as time has gone along, depending on when yours was built and the availability of the de-milled parts. For sure you have an original bolt carrier assembly and probably trunnion and barrel. Some of the newer ones I'm told may have a US barrel. The FCG that you got in your parts kit has not been modified, that is the way they were originally built, selective fire for full auto or semi-auto. Your Century has been modified to remove all the F/A parts and marked to only be Safe and Fire. Most Century or comercially remanufactured Cetmes have US parts consisting of....

Receiver ( cast stainless or stamped, manufactured by Century )
    Trigger
    Hammer
    Butt stock
    Pistol Grip
    Forearm
    Charging Handle
    Flash Hider
    Magazine floor plates

On a Cetme or an HK, you must replace at least seven of the imported parts in a kit to achieve 922 compliance. But rather than go into all that,,,,,Here's a post that better explains all about 922 compliance and parts on the Hk and Century Cetme

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...read.php?t=267

The question about receivers....both the CETME and the Hk stamped receivers are pretty much one size fits all with differences in sights. There are small dimensional differences at the rear stock mounting on the originals but nothing really noticeable on the aftermarket US produced stamped receivers. The only thing that makes the stamped receivers Hk or Cetme is the rear sight that is welded on. Century also made a cast stainless steel receiver that is entirely CETME unique, because it has the CETME rear sight cast into the receiver instead of welded on, and has the stock mounting plate profile cast into the rear of the receiver.

Magazines are a mixed bag, seems Century had trouble fitting magazines. If the rifles are set up correctly, and the magazines are nearly new, the magazines are fully interchangeable.
    Last edited by bladeworks123; 07-09-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Let me back up a bit and explain as a new builder where the problems begin. The differences are many between the comonents but it all starts at the back of the barrel.

A cetme barrel is pressed deep into the trunnion, sticking out .003" to .005" beyond the trunion face. An HK barrel sticks out about .016" nominally. This does a couple of things in my mind, it allows the carbon deposits to build up longer on the HK before cleaning is required (larger area to fill), and it shortens up all of the components behind the barrel, namely the bolt, LP, and carrier.

The germans and russians were very good at designing components which allowed them to utilize parts from other's (enemys) weapons with modification but make their parts useless to their enemies. Of course this is just speculation on my part, but for example, the LP. A cetme LP can be converted to work in an HK, but not the other way around. See the drawing on the first post here:
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ad.php?t=16535

Consequently, everything on the HK is shorter and will not headspace properly on a barrel that was pressed at cetme depth. The same is true with cetme components which cannot be used with a barrel pressed at HK depth.

Beyond that the length of the carrier tube also comes into play. the HK is shorter by what seems to be a couple of inches making a lot more work to fit it into a cetme cocking tube and get the bolt to unlock. It is all very confusing until you set the parts down in front of you.

Sticky please?

There is a lot of really usefull info here it might be a good idea to make this a sticky.

New Recruit
    I'm so glad I read these posts!
    Tonight I went and measured my locking key for my Cetme and it's a G3!
    Instead of being a solid fit, it rattles in the bolt. I never noticed that before.
    I had been using it without a problem, but now I'm afraid to fire it again.
    Immediately ordered a Cetme locking key from Apex. Will definitely measure it when I get it.

This is what I come here for....great advice and info.
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu Forti View Post
    I'm so glad I read these posts!
    Tonight I went and measured my locking key for my Cetme and it's a G3!
    Instead of being a solid fit, it rattles in the bolt. I never noticed that before.
    I had been using it without a problem, but now I'm afraid to fire it again.
    Immediately ordered a Cetme locking key from Apex. Will definitely measure it when I get it.

This is what I come here for....great advice and info.
    Thanks all.
    A few pics and some follow up when you get the new part would be appreciated.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

Thread stuck per request.
    Some people are like a slinky...

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.