Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G3 plastic furniture on a CETME....

Veteran

G3 plastic furniture on a CETME....

Hey gang. I'm a cetme noob, so bear with me. I have a cetme with wood stock and forearm. I purchased a G3 black plastic surplus set of furniture from RTG. Questions:

1) Does fitting the new forearm only require the addition of a pin from RTG? The original wood forearm uses a long skinny screw, which doesn't work with the plastic one...

2). The forearm I have is the skinny type. It has some strange little 'faux' vents on it. Has anyone dremeled these open to help cool the barrel better? The plastic seems really thin...shouldn't be hard to open them up. I have heard that these thin forearms can get hot...

3). Has anyone tried to add some stipling to the G3 pistol grip? It's kinda slick...

4) Can I remove all the parts from the buttstock and use them with the plastic G3 stock or do I need more parts? Where would I learn how to swap the parts that attach to the stock to the new one?

Ok...ithat's prolly enough questions.

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    yes,you need one of the small pins to fit slim forearm
    well, after acouple dozen rounds your hand may get really hot because you opened up the holes, the REAL G3 forearm has a heatshield inside it,if you dremel holes in it your hand will get hotter then not opening holes up.
    as for the grip,the new POF grip i got from robert had a grainy type finish to it.
    the cetme stock looks like a G3 stock,but the Cetme has a bigger buffer in it, you would have to make the buffer hole larger in the G3 stock.
    you could just get the complete backplate/recoil assembly for a G3 from robert and a G3 buffer ,the 2 small buffer/stock screws and the buttstock screw and washers
    best thing about getting the G3 backplate/recoil assembly and buffer, after you can put any Hk G3,HK91 black,od green,tropical green,or G3 wood on it that you want.
    dont forget to take some sand paper,emory cloth,or go very easy with a dremel and take down the diameter on the nylon washer on recoil assembly,your Cetme's is steel
    COG#99999

Veteran
    it has a heat shield inside...it just seems like it would work better of there was some venting...like an AR handguard. Maybe I'll try opening the ones on the end by the sites...my hand doesn't reach all the way out there anyway.

thanks for the info!!

When I swapped out my CETME stock for the G-3 model, I found it easy to swap the spring washers as well.

I pulled the spring back a few inches and locked it in place with vise grips padded by a piece of leather. I then used a punch to drive out the end piece retaining pin, removed the end piece and then the washer.

Do the same to the other stock, swap out the washer, replace the end piece then tap in the retaining pin and you're good to go.

Mike

Veteran
    I'm sure it can be done if you are determined enough, but exactly how tough is it to mate the G3 stock, particularly the wood one, to a CETME recoil assembly?

Charlie Don't Surf

I could have swore we had a how to put G3 furniture on a Cetme thread...but I can't find it. Another problem I need to fix this week I'm glad to see Evilblack guns hooked ya up.

PX4Storm, I haven't got a wooden G3 stock to look at, but I'll bet money the bolt hole doesn't line up to a Cetme recoil assembly. On top of that, the screws are different. I have a G3 plastic stock that was modded to use on a Cetme recoil assembly. The screw hole was enlarged and angled quite a bit and it used a g3 screw.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    the wood stock itself should fit into the the G3 backplate,
    BUT, the G3 has a slightly smaller buffer size with two screws ,
    the CETME has a tad bigger buffer and onley has one screw at bottom of buffer going into stock,and the Cetme uses a long stock bolt for a wood stock and its a larger diameter then a G3 stock bolt.
    you would be better off using a wood Cetme stock or use a G3 backplate/recoil assembly
    COG#99999

[quote=jekbrown;169218]Hey gang. I'm a cetme noob, so bear with me. I have a cetme with wood stock and forearm. I purchased a G3 black plastic surplus set of furniture from RTG. Questions:

1) Does fitting the new forearm only require the addition of a pin from RTG? The original wood forearm uses a long skinny screw, which doesn't work with the plastic one...

Yes you will need the push pin. You also need to use a dremel to enlarge the forearm near the front sight/triple tree creating a small recess so the forearm fits against the barrel properly. I could not find any photos of this hopefully someone will post some.

2). The forearm I have is the skinny type. It has some strange little 'faux' vents on it. Has anyone dremeled these open to help cool the barrel better? The plastic seems really thin...shouldn't be hard to open them up. I have heard that these thin forearms can get hot...

Yes some people here have done this and it looks really good. I would imagine that it would help cool the barrel too. Again I could not find any photos hopefully someone will post some. I have not done this myself but I used to have two of the wide HK forearms that were vented on my PTRs. They both looked cool and seemed to help cool the barrels.

3). Has anyone tried to add some stipling to the G3 pistol grip? It's kinda slick...

PM jdowney he is a member here that makes custom wood HK grips. He may be able to advise you on stipling techniques.

4) Can I remove all the parts from the buttstock and use them with the plastic G3 stock or do I need more parts? Where would I learn how to swap the parts that attach to the stock to the new one?[/quote]

The best thing to do would be to use a complete HK G3 recoil assembly and buffer. Then all you would need to do is either use the retaining washer from the Cetme recoil rod on the HK recoil rod or you could just lightly sand the plastic retaining washer on the HK recoil rod until it fits inside the Cetme bolt carrier.

Here is a grade II OD stock set that includes the complete HK G3 recoil assembly and buffer for $19.95 but it is on back order

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR281-1.html

Here is a Black stock set from Apex that includes the complete HK G3 recoil assembly and buffer it is $35 but probably in much better shape.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...roducts_id/912

Here are sme photos that might help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Great 308; 02-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Veteran
    hmmmmm...the long term plan for this rifle is to use an original H&K G3 collapsible stock. Spendy, but pretty fawkin' cool too. Since the ones that RTG / APEX etc sell tend to come complete, it would prolly just be easier to use one of them right? I could go with the CEMTE wood stock / G3 plastic grip & forearm "Mp44 look" in the meantime.

thanks much for posting the pics above....VERY handy info and greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post
    hmmmmm...the long term plan for this rifle is to use an original H&K G3 collapsible stock. Spendy, but pretty fawkin' cool too. Since the ones that RTG / APEX etc sell tend to come complete, it would prolly just be easier to use one of them right? I could go with the CEMTE wood stock / G3 plastic grip & forearm "Mp44 look" in the meantime.

thanks much for posting the pics above....VERY handy info and greatly appreciated!
    Yes just get set complete. It's a very easy fix. Just sand the O ring down a little and it will fit your Cetme just fine. takes all of 10 seconds. BTW If you want a collapsible stock. Cope's has them new in the bag for $189. I really like my mine.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."

General George S. Patton

45Luger on Gunboards
    FullAssault on FNforum
    FullAssault on VaGunTrader
    FullAssault on SKSBoards
    FullAssault on AKfiles
    FullAssault on FALFiles