More to come....gonna take me an afternoon to write it

Tools

Vise
    Receiver wrench
    headspace gages
    gage pins
    timing rod
    3/4 inch breaker bar
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

I used two pieces of brass cleaning rods, One laying across the reciever and the other fit just right through the front sight base.
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself!

Senior Veteran Global Gunsmithing's Avatar
    some like to use "broom handles' some like drill rod stock, what ever you use, roll it on a flat surface first, make sure its straight
    War Stories-A Tribute page
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

"Ken's all tied up right now, call back later!"

this is what i use for my fal/L1A1/SLR builds

i got the barrel block vise and receiver tool from RATAS on the fal file.

the breaker bar are from harbor freight. i use the 1/2" the are 25" and 18" long. the have worked fine so far.
    if i break them they have a lifetime free replacement. the 18" is on sale for under $8 and 25" is on sale for just over $9.

i got my pins and go & no-go gauges from midway, (i think).
    i use the cleaning rods from an ak and from an mosin nagant.
    get some levels of some sort. (the cast iron level i got from my grandfather years ago, it still works great)
    i use the white lithum grease when i screw them together ( very small amout goes a long way)

i screw a little then back off, continue this unit they are on tight. check for timing when you almost there. i try not to go too far on the timing so i don't have to back it off.

i have a large vise i use.
    so far i have not had to use a cheater to get it tight and time it out.

i have not installed the locking lugs on all of my builds yet. this is a little involved and someone else can write it up better than i can. i usually do them all at the same time.

it is really not that hard to build these. just go slow, pay attention to what your doing and enjoy it.

i use hi-temp paint when i finish putting them together for now. later i will get my sandblaster and park vats set up and take the rifles apart and park them.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 11-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    31B

WHen I asked about a tutorial on the FAL files they sent me to the tutorial here:
    http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

Planning, was your grandfather a machinist? That iron level was made by L.S. Starrett. I have one in my iron level collection.

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    WHen I asked about a tutorial on the FAL files they sent me to the tutorial here:
    http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

Planning, was your grandfather a machinist? That iron level was made by L.S. Starrett. I have one in my iron level collection.
    my grandfather was a carpenter and built custom cabinets. he also built homes when the cabinet business was slow. during WWII he built cabinets and homes out of wood shipping pallets and crates. wood was hard to come by at the time and dow chemical was building a mag. plant for the war effort here on the gulf coast. they could not build homes fast enough and people were living in tents. they built a whole town just for the builders/construction workers and there families to live in. he even built his own home from scrap lumber. the home still is standing. i had most of his carpenter tools,but i shared them with my cousins. the only power tool he had was a 6" table saw ( i still have it). everything else was done with hand tools.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 11-01-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    this is what i use for my fal/L1A1/SLR builds

i got the barrel block vise and receiver tool from RATAS on the fal file.

the breaker bar are from harbor freight. i use the 1/2" the are 25" and 18" long. the have worked fine so far.
    if i break them they have a lifetime free replacement. the 18" is on sale for under $8 and 25" is on sale for just over $9.

i got my pins and go & no-go gauges from midway, (i think).
    i use the cleaning rods from an ak and from an mosin nagant.
    get some levels of some sort. (the cast iron level i got from my grandfather years ago, it still works great)
    i use the white lithum grease when i screw them together ( very small amout goes a long way)

i screw a little then back off, continue this unit they are on tight. check for timing when you almost there. i try not to go too far on the timing so i don't have to back it off.

i have a large vise i use.
    so far i have not had to use a cheater to get it tight and time it out.

i have not installed the locking lugs on all of my builds yet. this is a little involved and someone else can write it up better than i can. i usually do them all at the same time.

it is really not that hard to build these. just go slow, pay attention to what your doing and enjoy it.

i use hi-temp paint when i finish putting them together for now. later i will get my sandblaster and park vats set up and take the rifles apart and park them.

ron
    With the exception of the cast iron level, that looks about like my FAL build kit.
    The proud great x5 grandson of an American Revolution veteran!