Thread: 1912/61 Steyr Chilean Mauser

Senior Veteran

1912/61 Steyr Chilean Mauser

I just purchased a M1912/61 Steyr Chilean Mauser from a guy in CO. Apparently, these rifle were made between 1912-14 on a rock solid 98 action. They were fitted w/ surplus 03 Spingfield 2 groove barrels in the early 60's. The barels had the threads cut off, re=threaded /chambered it and gave them the mauser contours. The actions wetre left in the white, and some the barrels were painted. They said it's safe for modern loads and they are pretty accurate. Does anybody have any more information or experience with these? Thanks
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

"Stick to your gun if you believe in something
    no matter what;
    cause it's better to be hated for who you are
    Than loved for someone you're not. Oh, and try to help someone out." Van Zant

Well if it is a Mauser 98 action you should have no problem with any modern ammo. What caliber is it since they rechambered it? There must have been a lot of 2 groove Springfield barrels around back then. I have heard of about 5 different types of rifles that were built and sold with those barrels.
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

Senior Veteran
    it's 7.62 NATO now..It's the 23: "short rifle version. The long barrel (29") was modified with some kind of chamber sleeve and then bored to .30cal
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

no matter what;

Charlie Don't Surf

If it headspaces alright, I would shoot it. Clymer .308 gauges would be the closet to 7.62 NATO. I have a German K98 action bubbied into a .308 barrel. Those are pretty solid actions.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

Senior Veteran
    Thanks for the information

no matter what;

New Recruit Private
    Peruse around surplusrifle.com. It sounds as if you have 98 action. These were re-barreled using surplus US bbls, not a sleeve. The M95 actions were re-chambered using a sleeve. The 1912/61 rifles are M98s and built like a tank. A keeper in my book.