Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USMC M1941 Sniper's Rifle

Senior Veteran
    MasterGunner:A++ Great article!! Hope my keyboard dries out from all the drool on it! I'm about "midway" thru building a "counterfeit" 03A4 my own self. Using an InterArms 03A3 with a "C" stock that I bought @30yrs ago, am using a Weaver scope marked 'Model 330' on top and 'Model 330-M.8' on the side that I found at gunshow in a pile of Tascos and Simmons', don't think guy knew what it was. I've been lead to understand when WW2 started, the military grabbed up all the Weaver 330's and Lyman 'Alaskans' they could get their hands on, or have built. Have had a few of the Unertl RTB scopes in my hands over the years, but they were way out of my pay grade! Even had an 'in-the-wrapper' top handguard for an 03A1 'Sniper' in my hands, but wasn't looking for one and didn't want to give up one of my testicles for it! I'm building an 'A4, not an 'A1. If I'd only been a little wiser.........nahhhhh, my little buddies are a matched set.
    I've seen a number of pictures of WW2 Marines with their 03A4's and I've read accounts of the pros and cons to the Unertl scopes, mostly having to do with that system not really being sturdy enough for 'in the field' and needing to be really handled with care, but undeniably a first-rate system.
    Dangit, problem with articles like this is it puts more iron in my fire and I'm running outta wood! I don't even want to talk about the '03 I had in my hands which had the Pedersen cut-out in the reciever, fair price and I had the money in my pocket! So, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I'm gonna post this, scroll back and look at MasterGunner's pics for the ump-teenth time (drool?). Is there a name for the green a person turns when they get envious?

Always Remember......
    Yankees-1 Confederates-0 Halftime!

Veteran
    The Marines were issued M1903A4 Sniper's when stocks of M1903A1 (M1941) Sniper's weren't available. The Marines adopted the M1C Sniper's in late 1944 or early 1945, but they did not see service until Korea. Marine M1C rifles used the M81 (crosshair reticle) or M82 (pist reticle) scopes. Marines also used M1903A1 (M1941) and M1903A4 Sniper's in Korea when the conflict settled into a trench warfare stalemate.

In 1952, the Marines modifed their M1C rifles to the MC-1, also known as the M1952. The M1952 was updated with a Stith Bear Cub 4x scope built by Kollmorgen Instruments. The new scope had a 1-inch diameter tube, crosshair reticle, new rings, a lengthened Griffin & Howe throw lever mount, and large windage and elevation knobs with audible click adjustments. Marine M1C and M1952 Sniper's saw action in the Dominican Republic (1965) and early in Vietnam before the bolt action M40 Sniper's became standard.

Good history there, interesting about the M1C in the Domincan Crisis and what I would assume would be 1964/65 South Vietnam
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Great photo of USMC M1903-A1 with Unertl 8x Telescope Korea 9/28/50
    Korean war M 1903 sniper.jpg
    Last edited by Norton; 03-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Veteran
    The geographic center of "Nowhere," in southern Oregon
    Great stuff! It's not easy running down the history of the '03 Springfields. My hunting rifle, inherited from my great-grandfather, may get restored at some point. I've had it (and never thought much about it, except that it's a fantastically accurate '06) since I was 12. Later, I did some checking, and found that the barreled action was originally issued to the 2nd Marine Division rifle team. The original stock and sights, however, are long gone, having been replaced with Redfield bases and a Wenig sporter stock. Any information on parts sources would be greatly appreciated. It'll never be a "numbers-matching, original" gun, again, but I'd like to at least restore it to period-correct. After all these years, and all the abuse I'm sure it has seen, though, it still shoots great (as the freezer full of deer, elk and bear, and the decimated local coyote population will attest).

Semper Fi,
    Doc J

"Always keep clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark," R. A. Heinlein

Ah yes - the 1903 Mk I - I got this on, with a 9/1942 dated Springfield barrel from a friend:

I just read an e-mail from GunDigestStore - they have for $499 20 only Leatherwood repro sniper scopes for the 1903
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

New Recruit

Awesome stuff