Thread: Military button ID?

Military button ID?

Some of the stuff my mom dropped offa couple of years ago from an estate sale included the well used uniform that appears to be WW1. On one of the shirts are two collar buttons that look interesting. I was never in the military, can anyone give me some info on them? That is a letter 'D' on the first one.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

I believe the NA on the US button stands for National Army, which if I am remember was that was what the expanded army was called in WWI like the expanded army in WWII was called "Army of the United States".

The left one looks like a engineers button, but would want to do some research on it.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 03-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Neat. This was a pretty small guy, ended up being a colonel during WWII. I have some johdpurs and a really heavy peacoat. The box came with a Victorias Cross with his name engraved on the back.

http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/WW1%20...ar%20Discs.htm

My guesses were good, heres a link to a website showing these things.

On the NA, or national army, its the interesting reading on generals from WWII and their rises thur the NA and Army of the US, and how the ranks were not perminante thus the huge times in grades between the wars.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 03-22-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Good site, Oakie. I wonder if the 'D' means demolition on that Engineers button? Thanks for your help.

Added. I found a pic of the summer uniform, it matches the one I have. At this site.http://www.quanonline.com/military/m...tunic_wwi.html
    Last edited by nevada; 03-22-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add pic

On other sites, and other collar disks, the letter denotes unit or such, so it might be a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by okie shooter View Post
    I believe the NA on the US button stands for National Army, which if I am remember was that was what the expanded army was called in WWI like the expanded army in WWII was called "Army of the United States".
    This is an intersting bit of triva to me.. Is this becuse of the draftes and mobilized state NG divisions made it not the real US Army?
    As in pre war regulars were the real Army in the early 1900s

Was the Union army called the Federal Army on paper rather than the US Army for the same reasons ?
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Norton, yes from what I read, the thought was not to dilute the Regular Army in all three cases. The ARmy of the US, the last one though lasted technically until the end of the draft in the seventies. Thus it kept two books on ranks, the one you had temporally and the regular army one, thus remember Custer was only a breveted general, a col in the regular army, but allowed to call him self general.