Thread: Is CETME brass reloadable?

Is CETME brass reloadable?

As the title asks, is bass fired from a CETME reloadable? Mine creates some pretty deep spiral gooves in the brass. Just wondering if it is cosmetic or if the brass is no longer good.

I've reloaded mine before (PMC)with no problems.
    I love you guys...

Veteran
    im far from an expert but have been told comercial brass is a no no in one. Eventually you will experience a case head seperation. Just today though out in the barn i loaded an fired the same 5 cases 4 times and they were comercial remington brass. The load wasnt extreamly hot. A 147 ball bullet at about 2550 fps but looking at the brass i sure wouldnt be afraid to load it again. Chamber seemed a little big though as it took a good case lube and quite a bit of pressure on the 550 to size it. I wouldnt try it with spray case lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tread_Head View Post
    As the title asks, is bass fired from a CETME reloadable? Mine creates some pretty deep spiral gooves in the brass. Just wondering if it is cosmetic or if the brass is no longer good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tread_Head View Post
    The grooves aren't what keep folks from reloading. The cetme dents the hell outta brass, and folks don't want to expand their brass back out...
    Wave goodbye to virii and malware, Linux for human beings. http://www.ubuntu.com
    UNofficial MilitaryFirearm.com Chat

If your getting grooves in the brass( not just carbon, but the brass is splined, to match the flutes)
    Theres too much pressure, or the brass is thin/weak

It depends on how bad your dents are. If they are small you can try it. Lots of common sense comes into play here, but if you have been reloading a while, and it seems that you have, you will know what you can work with and what to pitch in the scrap bucket. My CETME, for example, throws the empties at 2:00 about 35-40 feet and doesn't dent the cases badly at all. I've seen others that sling them 20 feet and dent the hell out of them.
    COG#163
    Minuteman
    NRA Member
    GOA Member

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
    -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/mikesstuff_2006/

mine only dents the mouth... I could reload them, if they werent berdan primed, bu twould probably lose some case life having to keep fixing the case mouth.
    COA #106121 COG #1000 NRA #148440199

Copenhagen is my anti-drug!

Texas sew n' sew

Veteran
    dont know how you guys can afford to shoot these things if you dont reload and find cheap components. there not giving away surplus 308s anymore and theyre pretty tough even to find lately. The load im using pushes a 147 to about 2500 fps and does leave groves in the brass but no dents (at least none that sizing wont cure). It is alot more pronounced in the softer commercial brass but like i said i loaded some of them 4 times. Sizing takes about half of the groves out and once tumbled they are really only evedent on the case mouth. I dont think a guy would want to try to get 10 loadings out of them but ive dont a shitpile of loading in my life and i have no problems with going past 4 on these cases. Ive never seen a rifle case fail in any other way then a case head seperation just above the rim and that impending failure will show up as a bright spot on the brass and because of the larger then normal (bolt gun) chambers on these guns i would think that it will occure sooner rather then later. I plan on shooting these pieces of brass a few more times and keeping my eye on them to get an idea of what life expectancy will be. Ive got to say using military brass that is harder that there will be no problem at all as at this load level the only marks on the case are carbon marks from the chamber that tumble right off. Now i surely woulnd recomend reusing the brass if your shooting loads with commercial brass on the warm side of 50000 psi chamber pressure but i cant see the need for ammo like that in one of these anyway.