Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CETME: barrel length limits

New Recruit

CETME: barrel length limits

Sence some time ago, Iīve being doing some reserch about converting a CETME C in to a "CETEME K". sence here in Spain, the legal barrel rifle length is down to 11.8 inch (30 cm) but the total length of the rifle has to be at least 23.6 inch (60 cm).... boooring....

Anyhow, after reading a lot of information have found out that is not possible because of the locking piece: the CETME locking piece is 50ī and if cuting down the barrel Iīll need a 55īor even more angle to make work correctly...

So, my question is: What is the limit length that can cut down the barrel with out the need of changing the original locking piece.
    But also I donīt wanna sacrifice the CETMEīs reliability and most important the security (donīt wanna lose any part of my face )...

Any ideas?

I only know of one person who has successfully cut down a Cetme barrel to less than 16 inches and got it to function. That guy is called Nitegunner on another forum. I don't know if he's a member here or not. The Forum is Weapons Guild
    I don't have any info on how he did it but I know that he cut it down pretty short. Another one of our members both here and at Weapons Guild has made a Cetme in 7.62x39, I don't know if he's shot it yet or not but he seems pretty confident that he can it function.
    Since you're in Spain have you checked to see if a Cetme L locking piece might work in a Cetme C? I'm pretty sure that HK locking pieces between the HK33 and G3 will interchange maybe Cetmes are the same???
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

I have been trying to figure out how to upload a PDF file that contains the locking piece angles, the gun(s) they fit, and barrel lengths but Whenever I use the "manage attachments link below I get an error saying:
    Locking Piece Chart.pdf:
    Your file of 53.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

Since this is a relatively mild file I'm not sure just what you can see in 19.5 KB.

Anyway, the chart shows a 50 degree LP (number 18) on a G3K with a 12.7" barrel. That was the shortest barrel listed for that LP.

I converted it to a JPG, so it would upload. The only question I have is that the Cetme locking piece is 50 degrees and a HK G3/93 has a 45 degree angle. How does that correlate between the 2 rifles? Normal G3 and Cetme have the same length barrels and the locking surfaces in the Trunnion are the same, so I wonder why the G3 will unlock with a 45 and the Cetme needs a 50?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    COG Member #1069

I thought the G3K was the G3. The note on the bottom of the page is only referring to an unmarked bolt found in a G3 isn't it?

The differing angles are designed to change lock timing in order to maximize the use of available gas pressure in the barrel.

The difference between 45 and 50 in the Hk was for lock time changes necessary for varying barrel lengths. The Hk 91 came standard with the 45 degree locking piece in anticipation that it would be used to fire .308 win.....again, for decreasing lock time and pressure. (Interesting, huh) The 50 degree locking piece decreases lock time over the 45 degree. And the 50 is also used for the G3K with the short barrel. With the angles on the locking piece being meant to effect lock timing.... shorter barrels need shorter lock timing in order to release the bolt while maximizing on the pressure available before the bullet leaves the barrel. If you loose gas pressure out the muzzle before the bolt unlocks you get short cycling, failures to eject and feed properly. Additionally, a 50 degree LP will give a higher cyclic rate than a 45 degree. Some Hk mechanics will say that the 45 degree locking piece also gives better velocity and accuracy because it maximizes on the amount and duration of barrel pressure. (PSG1 uses a 40 degree for that reason) And it's not so much that the CETME needs a 50 degree locking piece, it's simply that this was all it was ever designed for, and the only one they made. There were no optional barrel lengths in the CETME nor any .308 win. chambers.
    Last edited by bladeworks123; 05-20-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added about PSG
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Also note that changing angles will change gap. Usually if you go to a steeper locking piece angle in the same rifle, you may need to increase your roller size.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

New Recruit
    The only short CETME info that have found out is this:

Made for the light armore vehicles "BMR" but never went into production... But havenīt found any info on locking pieces or tech info about them....

Also, might be a good idea to see if CETME L or the short one CETME LC locking pieces can interchange to the Cīs... but sence the Līs and LCīs where just made for the military might almost imposible to buy a locking piece of them...

Quote Originally Posted by 458SOCOM View Post
    The only short CETME info that have found out is this:

Made for the light armore vehicles "BMR" but never went into production... But havenīt found any info on locking pieces or tech info about them....
    Ill take one, need something for the motorcycle handlebars
    Party for your Right to Fight.

458SOCOM, you're in Spain.. Here's a place selling Deactivated Cetme L and LC.

http://www.militaria.es/Base/Tenda.p...nom='CETME'
    COG Member #1069