Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Sand Blast Cabinet Modifications

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    as promised, here are pics of my dual blast cabinet with modifications

i couldnt get the lid off of the bong bucket , but the insides look just like the link above (post #13)

you can see what i mean by turning the plastic arm ring collars around 180 degrees, and worm gear clamping the gloves on the outside of the cabinet i hope. look at the pics inside the cabinet to see the collars from the inside of the cabinet.

bolting them together is easy. you take the door off of the cabinet on the left and trace the pattern with a sharpie on the outside of the cabinet on the right. drill a hole inside of the pattern lines with a holesaw and cut the pattern with an air nibbler. i cut the bottom lip lower so that it only protruded above the screen by about 1/2 inch also. this can be done by taking some measurements and lowering the pattern on the right side before you start cutting. Then transfer the pattern from the right side, to the left side to cut the opening lower.

Drill holes in the flange that you created, and bolt cabinets together with caulk between the seems and outside. center legs will need to be cut so that they only support the cabinets on the face of the cabinet (where the arm holes are - look at the pics and you can see how i cut them) Repaint with rustoleum red and assemble it all together. Add extra dryers for each side of the cabinet with quick connect fittings for the air hose. Use a larger dryer coming just off of the compressor to help remove water from the lines.

also have one of the smaller blast cabinets like you have in the picture that is dedicated strictly to glass bead. The large double cabinet uses aluminum oxide, or black beauty from time to time. will need to see about performing some of the feed mods to the small cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perro Del Diablo; 07-01-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Sweet setup! That looks like a dust removal system on the left side? How's that setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Paperpuncher View Post
    Sweet setup! That looks like a dust removal system on the left side? How's that setup?
    i call it the bong bucket

the hard pipe goes to the bottom of the bucket and the bottom of the pipe is cut at an angle

the shop vac hose connects to a 2" abs coupling bored out on the lathe to provide a tight fit to the shop vac hose, and does not extend but an inch into the bucket

water is poured in the bucket about 4 inches deep

shop vac is turned on and the water starts bubbling and it sucks the dust out of the blast cabinet as you are blasting.

most of the dust is filtered into the water and it settles into the bottom of the bucket instead of clogging up the expensive shop vac filters

i caulked the lid shut on my bucket, and i just pour the water out of the lid and refill with clean water, but this is what it looks like basically

Nice filter, thanks for the explannation and photos! I understand that is bad stuff to breath, so a quality filtration system is worth the effort. Again, sweet setup!

yup, get that crap in the old lungs and youll wish you didnt. Use silica based agents and you can develop silicosis which kills you.

using just a shop vac makes a world of difference, but using the water filter makes it even better.

i hope others here will try the bong bucket - it helps alot

On your double cabinet,,,,do you have much trouble with the media migrating more to one side than the other, or do you have the hoppers connected somehow also?
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

media does tend to migrate from right to left (i use right side of blast cabinet 90% of time) but if you look under the cabinets hoppers you will see the doors with the levers on them.
    stick a bucket (like the green one in the picture) under the door, move the lever to open the door, and all the media drops into the bucket.
    close the door, and close the latch and then dump the bucket into the right hopper from the door on the far right.

under heavy blasting i have to move the media from the left to the right after a full 4-5 solid straight hours of blasting
    i have around 80 pounds of aluminum oxide in it right now.

forgot to mention. I use plastic split wire loom to cover the flange all the way around inside with caulk to hold the split loom to the flange. protects against scraping the metal when something is resting across it.
    this kind of stuff
    http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...e_loom_big.jpg
    Last edited by Perro Del Diablo; 07-01-2010 at 08:41 PM.

4-5 hours of blasting? Must be working on your car?
    Czar of all the Michigans

im actually doing a set of SS2 rally rims for my 68 442 right now

after fooling with the rims in the blast cabinet, Ive been thinking about building this before i go any further but im currently out of Argon for the welder.

http://compare.ebay.com/skat-blast-s...e/270577632331

I sure appreciate this write up, I am new here and kinda new to guns but I am already considering one of these, actually more than considering this setup, I am going to set one up shortly after I move...
    my only complaint with these cabinets is I can't get my hands into the gloves! its as if they made them for my wife or something...
    I hope someone offers a heavy duty glove that can be used with these,...
    after I build this I also need to build a curing oven too.
    we already have parking and bluing tanks.