Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ar15 in 6.8 for deer hunting

ar15 in 6.8 for deer hunting

well i no longer have any bolt/deticated deer rifles anymore. has anyone here hunted with an ar in 6.8? any advise would help.
    IS THERE A SECTION FOR MY DEATH STAR ON MILITARYFIREARM.COM?

New Recruit Private

Info request

I'm not sure what your looking for? Reloading or equipment. I hunted last year
    with a 6.8spc. Stag upper model 7 with a spikes tactical lower,magpul sniper stock.& hogs in Fl., 2 does !110 point in Ga. All animals were harvested with 110 gn SPH's/SSA brass,gm205M primers with 28.3 H322. sub moa at 100yards. The longest shot was a hog @155yards.20 yards from hit to expiration. let me know if you need any more info.

No but I want to. I wanted the bull barrel 6.8 to satisfy 2 of my wants. They only make a heavy contour BUT you can special order the bull. I took one with the AR in .223. Our deer are not as heavy as south/mid Georgia deer.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

I've only heard good things about the 6.8 for any type of hunting. If you want more info specifically for the 6.8, google 6.8 forum. Anyway, I'm in process of building an AR in 6.8mm SPC. According to the ballistics data I've seen, it's perfect for deer hunting in Western WA where 9 times out of 10 you won't be shooting past 200yds.

The ballistics are ideal for deer hunting. It will make a fine 250 yard or less deer rifle. I know longer shots can be taken but ballisticaly 250 or less is ideal. And as most deer hunters know, 99% of deer are taken less then then 100 yards. I have a lower which I am trying to decide what to build on it. I have been looking at the 6.8 as well as the 6.5 grendal and the 50 bewolf 0r 45 socom.

COG#1963

If you are between the 6.8, 6.5, .50 beowulf, and .458 socom...stick with the 6.8. The US military special ops command already uses it (allegedly) so a surplus of ammo is in the not too distant future. The others are essentially popular wildcats that have almost too specific intended applications. The cost of ammo will force you to reload, which is fine, but brass and bullet supplies may be just as, if not more expensive than buying factory ammo. Also look at how many companies produce the rounds. Beowulf, .458, and 6.5 are only made by one or two companies. (Alexander Arms is the only one I can think of off hand). As long as the military uses it, or has plans of using it, there will be plenty of supply.

Also, make sure you get it chambered in 6.8 SPC II and NOT SAMMI. There is a 0.005" difference in throat dimensions that make the SPC II longer. The II can take any 6.8 round but the SAMMI can only take shorter brass. If you have the SPC II chamber, and a 1:10 twist or slower like 1:11 or 1:12, you can shoot higher performance 6.8 ammunition like the Tactical Loads from Silver State Armory; SPC II rounds are hotter.

Think of 6.8SPC II and 6.8x43 akin to .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO OR .308 and 7.62 NATO.

I mentioned barrel twist earlier, make sure you get a 1:10 or slower. 1:12 is ideal but it also depends on what bullet weight you use. Mine is a 14.5" barrel in 1:10 twist reamed out to SPC II chambering. I havent shot it yet but I have 110, 115, and 130 grain food to feed it.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

RIP Old Grump6/6/2013
    Little hut in the woods, Blue River Wisconsin
    Is the 270 a deer caliber? That is what the 6.8 is but it sounds cooler.

6.8 Rem
    115 grain BTHP 2,049 fps at 300 yards and 1,075 ft/lbs, you can get MOA at 600 yards with a good barrel.

115 grain SP 1873 fps at 300 yards and 893 ft/lbs. Good shooters have taken antelope out to 500 yards with that old gray beard bullet.

My uncle took a moose with his using a 130 grain bullet, the only bullet he ever used in his gun for 40+ years.

Jump on the 6.8, the only reason I don't is finances and an embarrassing number of centerfire rifles in the house already.
    Roman Catholic, Life member, Libertarians, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

Quote Originally Posted by 19Charlie_84 View Post
    If you are between the 6.8, 6.5, .50 beowulf, and .458 socom...stick with the 6.8. The US military special ops command already uses it (allegedly) so a surplus of ammo is in the not too distant future. The others are essentially popular wildcats that have almost too specific intended applications. The cost of ammo will force you to reload, which is fine, but brass and bullet supplies may be just as, if not more expensive than buying factory ammo. Also look at how many companies produce the rounds. Beowulf, .458, and 6.5 are only made by one or two companies. (Alexander Arms is the only one I can think of off hand). As long as the military uses it, or has plans of using it, there will be plenty of supply.

Also, make sure you get it chambered in 6.8 SPC II and NOT SAMMI. There is a 0.005" difference in throat dimensions that make the SPC II longer. The II can take any 6.8 round but the SAMMI can only take shorter brass. If you have the SPC II chamber, and a 1:10 twist or slower like 1:11 or 1:12, you can shoot higher performance 6.8 ammunition like the Tactical Loads from Silver State Armory; SPC II rounds are hotter.

Think of 6.8SPC II and 6.8x43 akin to .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO OR .308 and 7.62 NATO.

I mentioned barrel twist earlier, make sure you get a 1:10 or slower. 1:12 is ideal but it also depends on what bullet weight you use. Mine is a 14.5" barrel in 1:10 twist reamed out to SPC II chambering. I havent shot it yet but I have 110, 115, and 130 grain food to feed it.
    That is good to know! Surplus is and should be considered when purchasing and investing into guns weapons etc.. it is one reason I am buying CZ52 in the next couple months, along with the various other guns I would own you have to consider this if you are going to be an active shooter or someone who is prepping...1200 rounds is hard to be for around a 100 bucks! I imagine there would be some good deals on 6.8 someday..
    but dang a 450 Bushy is just cool...you gotta admit that.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 19Charlie_84 View Post

The way it was explained to me on the 6.8 Forums was the 1:10 twist and SAAMI spec was the first generation for the 6.8mm SPC. Pressure related problems were seen with the SAAMI spec and 1:10 barrel twist when firing Combat/Tactical loads, but the rifle could fire them. The SPC II spec with 1:11 and 1:12 barrel twist expanded the rifle's capabilities by allowing the rifle to handle the higher pressures when using Combat/Tactical loads.

From what I've heard, another thing to keep in mind, is made sure the upper receiver and barrel extension have M4 Feed Ramps machined in them. With the heavier 6.8mm round, having the M4 Feed Ramps helps the chambering of the round. Some people that don't have the M4 Feed Ramps haven't had a problem with chambering at all...and some have. Just my 2 cents.
    Vince
    US Marine Corps '94-'00

I haven't shot a deer with one, but it will take down hogs with ease, and they are MUCH harder to take down than deer. I had a Stag with a 16" barrel, and sold it to a friend... it now has 3rd Gen nightvision on it, and it kills about 2-3 hogs per week.
    COA #106121 COG #1000 NRA #148440199

Copenhagen is my anti-drug!

Texas sew n' sew