Thread: A1 Uppers Available

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.

A1 Uppers Available

EDIT, 9-15: Got an email from Cope's. Won't have any more A1 uppers for a while.

With the interest in retro AR's, thought I would post that Cope's Distributing will soon have another shipment of complete forward assist A1 uppers.

These are supposed to be Colt, like new or excellent, have the teardrop forward assist, sight, and ejection port cover. $129.95. Right now since they aren't in stock yet, if you want one you need to phone and place one on back order. Lady couldn't give me a ship date, but thought within a couple of weeks.

1-866-523-2673

For those who aren't acquainted with Cope's, they are very good to deal with, always have accurate descriptions of what they're selling, and prices are usually as good as anywhere. I have dealt with them 4 or 5 years.

I don't yet know what barrel I will use, but it will be 16". Not going for a truly accurate retro but sort of a FrankenAR. Probably green 6 position stock and green ergo grip and green standard carbine handguards. Modern lower. A1 birdcage hider.

I've got a 20" retro, A2's, one flattop 16" non-M4. Just want to add a carbine with an A1 sight.

Guess it's time to sign up for some overtime at the plant.
    Last edited by mitchstoner; 09-15-2010 at 01:59 AM.
    Time for the book "The Decline and Fall of the United States of America?"

Oh the temptation... I wouldn't mind an XM177 clone someday.
    Guns & Coffee
    COG#1001

I got mine from Apex. It was complete and looked to be test fired only. It was $180 but I thought that a fair price since the NDS ones are $150 and stripped.

Mine is a CH marked colt. I am building an Izzy Carbine clone.

Saw a pic of that build Jerry. Can't remember where, but I do remember it looked pretty good.
    "Without gunpowder there can be no freedom!"
    -German-American proverb during the War of Independence

COG# 1961

The best buy for the buck on a 16" barrel is ER Shaw (Model 1 Sales) 1/9" 5.56 pencil barrel. I got mine from Midway USA for $145. You can go straight up CAR15 with an M16A1 FH or retro XM177E2 with a slip over XM from Bushmaster like I did. 5.7 lbs empty. VERY SWEET!!!!!

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.
    Saw that and the heavy contour version, same price. But since the description says ".223" I went with the DPMS for another $25, cause it says "5.56."

Maybe they're using the caliber designations interchangeably, ya never know.

Also I went with the heavy barrel cause I am 6'3 and 200 lb. and the weight saving of a couple of lbs. on a rifle really doesn't mean a lot to me, but I do value the benefits of the extra barrel weight.

i have several of the early slick side complete colt uppers left. i think that if these are colt i will buy 3 of the A1 receivers and remove the S-S uppers and make A1's out of them. i will give them a call this week. thanks for the heads up on this.

ron

note: i have been buying from them for years, very good to deal with.
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by mitchstoner View Post
    Saw that and the heavy contour version, same price. But since the description says ".223" I went with the DPMS for another $25, cause it says "5.56."

Maybe they're using the caliber designations interchangeably, ya never know.

Also I went with the heavy barrel cause I am 6'3 and 200 lb. and the weight saving of a couple of lbs. on a rifle really doesn't mean a lot to me, but I do value the benefits of the extra barrel weight.
    i bought both the thin barrel's and the heavy barrel's. i think that they are really 5.56 barrels, midway just marks all the barrels 223.

the slip over flash hider fits the heavy barrel much better, the thin barrel has a gap. IMHO. i really like the HB BETTER. pictured are the HB carbines.

RON
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Oh the temptation... I wouldn't mind an XM177 clone someday.
    i would just buy the upper and put it up. when someday gets here you will be glad you did. some of these parts are getting really hard to find.
    IMHO
    ron
    31B

Cope's took the A1 uppers off their site, and they haven't replied to my emails about availability. I'm about to buy one from a guy on AR15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=119&t=799006
    Last edited by mitchstoner; 09-10-2010 at 12:30 AM.