16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Type 2

8 50.00%
  • Type 3

8 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAL Receivers poll Type 2 or Type 3

FAL Receivers poll Type 2 or Type 3

I'm going to build yet a third FAL. I really like the Coonan receivers, everything seems to fit perfect, and the workmanship in the finished product is nice, and so is the price. They are only doing the Type 3 receivers right now, but are rumored to be considering Type II's. I'm thinking about holding off to see if they are going to come out with the type 2's anytime soon. I would like to know, if you were going to build a FAL, would you prefer the Type 2 or Type 3, and why?
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

I have a few to build this year, I just purchased my first one a couple months ago and found that Coonan was a very good choice, from quality to customer services excellent!
    The reason why I would want the earlier Gen is because it is that last piece of attention to detail that makes the rifle a more complete project, seeing that small notch in the lower receiver with an early model lower will seem slightly off balance although not a deal breaker necessarily on all builds but ones like my Izzy I prefer the early cut one, I believe if I have to sell it someday also that last attention to detail will be a selling point.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

I meant to click on type two.... it would really help things if I wasn't such an idiot some times
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Being a new babe to the FAL family, I've been digging around a lot. I like the early receivers becasue of the extra cuts. It cuts down on that monolithic look. I'm even thinking about getting a local shop to run me some shallow cuts along the lines on my type 3.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

i like the type 3 receivers. most fal's were built with the type 3, some of the earlier fal's were built with the type 1. if your going for the original look, then find out which one was on the original rifle and use that one. to me it is not worth the extra expense. IMHO.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Buddymack View Post
    I meant to click on type two.... it would really help things if I wasn't such an idiot some times
    Not to hijack the thread--I have no knowledge or experience-- but we had this same problem here in FL, Buddymack. "Dangling Chads" resulted in a bunch of people who THOUGHT they voted for Gore, voting for Bush, our former (R) President. Although the term certainly does NOT apply to you, they name we use for those people: GORONS. Again, no reflection on you.

RandyCOG3

so there is just outside differences?
    have cnc mills, will work for food.
    http://www.gunsnorthwest.com/

Quote Originally Posted by turbothis View Post
    so there is just outside differences?
    From what I understand it is just the cut style that matches the cut out notch of a lower receiver, the newer ones "Gen 3" have no notch in the backplate so the receivers that match the newer ones are just smooth
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas Jefferson

I voted for the type 2. IMHO, they look the best. I used two type 2's, 1 type 1 and 1 type 3. The type 1 &2's were DSA and the 3 was Entreprise. All went together with no problems.
    The proud great x5 grandson of an American Revolution veteran!

I just read on FF from one of the staff at Coonan says they should have surprise at Knob Creek...
    Dang I wish I could go there... I really really do
    Thomas Jefferson