Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused, please help (re: Gap)

New Recruit Private

Confused, please help (re: Gap)

Hello all,

I've been lurking, learning, and reading for months, mainly because I wanted to learn as much as I could before making a stupid post or failing to research.

Anyway, here's my problem.

I have the Springfield/Greek SAR8, not that it should make a difference, but just for clarification purposes.

I don't appear to have any CT gap, as the carrier bolt appears to be resting against the cocking lever support. Likewise, I cannot even get the .002 gauge to slide into the bolt gap location.

As for some measurements, here's what I have. For the initial charging handle movement, I measured 0.298 inches prior to resistance. The overall bolt head measured 1.845 inches, and the rollers measured 7.99/8.00 mm.

This is why I'm baffled. I've taken everything down multiple times, measured multiple times, and I cannot seem to determine where the problem my derive. I don't believe that this rifle has seen much use, and everything seems to be in very good condition. The bolt head is stamped EBO 6/85, and I believe all pieces to be original.

At this point, I'm leaning toward the locking piece as the issue. Does this sound right to anyone else? I cannot believe that the trunion would be worn to the point of demanding new rollers if the original rollers still measure 7.99/8.00. Likewise, I hate to start filing away on the carrier bolt for needless purposes if it's as simple as a new locking piece.

Thanks for reading my post, and thanks for being patient with me. I appreciate all of the vast knowledge that's been collected on this site, and I'll try to participate a bit more in conversations as well.

welcome

we have several people on this site that will soon be able to help you. stand by and watch. they will be asking you a few more question. usually it is a process of elemination with these rifle. onece we get the rifle up and running good they are a very fine weapon.

good luck.

ron
    31B

Steimie -

First off, don't file on anything! I have no experience with the SAR8 but from what you are saying it would seem that it has the same DLR action as the other HK's/Cetme. From what I know, the trunnion is one of the hardest metals in the system and that it should be the least likely to wear out. Bolt heads, locking pieces and rollers seem to be the culprits. I'd thoroughly inspect the bolt head for wear and look at getting a replacement locking piece along with some plus sized rollers for starters. Don't know about the SAR8 but for my HK91 that's a pretty inexpensive repair.

I wish you luck! Watch for what the much more experienced members post here.

New Recruit Private
    Thanks guys!

Yes, filing was the absolute last option, and that would be after seeking a third and fourth opinion. I'm not opposed to ordering plus size rollers, but I'm just trying to save on shipping costs at the same time as getting my rifle back into acceptable tolerances. I'd like to do it right the first time!

Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but I did take it to the range last weekend and ran about sixty rounds with no problems. I don't have a problem charging the system, and I had absolutely no failures of any sort. The brass ended up about 30-40 feet away in a consistent manner.

Thanks again, and I welcome any/all input and suggestions.
    Great site, and I'm sure it's due to great members.
    * Just realized I've been a member for over a year and this was my first post! Sheesh!

Are the windows on the bolt head worn? They will looked rounded out at the edge of the windows. I would also check the shoulders on the locking piece, where the locking piece engages the rollers. A new locking piece & +4 rollers can be had for 26.00 + shipping.
    http://www.robertrtg.com/g3lpniw.html
    http://www.robertrtg.com/g3rollerext.html

those are HK locking pieces, and will not fit the Cetme. Not sure what style the head bolt is in your rifle though.
    "those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither"

Quote Originally Posted by stevelkinevil View Post
    those are HK locking pieces, and will not fit the Cetme. Not sure what style the head bolt is in your rifle though.
    An SAR8 is a G3 copy not a CETME. I believe they were made on FMP receivers and parts.

You can start by removing your cocking handle to insure that you have the correct bolt gap. Measure before you start and after it is out. The stickies show you how. You are in luck because G3 parts are still plentiful.
    I hate to get someone buying parts they don't need but since they are cheap enough and won't get any cheaper, I'd think about +4 rollers and maybe a new bolt head. You can measure the windows in the bolt head and report what you find. We will help out any way we can.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

Need new CETME bolt head

Who has new CETME bolt heads for sale?

97th Signal Bn, 7th Army Main Communications, Germany, 1960-63

Quote Originally Posted by stevelkinevil View Post
    EBO is Greek made Hk91 clone imported by Springfield.As stated,he has an EBO bolt=HK91/G3 bolt and Hk locking pieces are same as well.
    Last edited by HKaltwasser; 04-03-2011 at 11:07 PM.