Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about home A/C service?

Question Anyone know about home A/C service?

I had a 17 year old 2.5 ton Rheem air unit that had leaky valves. When the freon was full it cooled great. Finally replaced it with a 3 ton Goodman unit. The Rheem was around a 8-10 seer unit and the Goodman is 3 times larger. I think I saw something about a 24 or 36 seer on the box when it was installed. Now, here's the question. Now that it's hot outside, it doesn't cool very well. The suction line is extremely cold at the unit and the liquid line is not even warm. Seems to me the old coils in the house (evaporator I think) do not have enough mass to pull enough cold from the lines before it makes it back to the compressor. Does that make sense? It's like it's just pumping it from the high side right back to the low.
    Any help or advice would be great so I don't have to sell every gun in my safe to keep my house cool.

First thing to see, is the evaperator plugged up, the mass of the evaporator, isnt as critical as good airflow over it, its the expansion and compression of gas that does the work, thus actually the best coils would have almost no mass, just keep the refrigerant apart from the air. Is the fan properly working well, clean and such. Change the filters, and make sure nothing is interfering with the air flow next.

Do you have a little thermometer, try seeing what the air temp is comeing off the evaporator, maybe the expansion valve is plugged or something too. Not sure, I know how to design them if I get the books out but forget lots about how the function and work.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Filter is clean and fan works great. The coils were dirty but have been cleaned. I can shine a light on one side and see it on the other. I know that's a crappy way to tell but it works for me I guess. I also have no idea where the expansion valve is located. Wouldn't a bad expansion valve cause really high pressure on the liquid line to the point of a release or damage?

The expansion valve should be some where near the coil, its kinda of a cup looking thing, with a capilary tube running from it to some where on the coil useally. I am doing this from memory.

Plus you really cannot service it, maybe thump it with a stick if its jammed but no external moving parts there, they are internal.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 06-09-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Don't see one. I know what one looks like on a car but I don't see one near the coils at all. Could it have been operating without one?

I hate to ask a stupid question..

Warranty??? Have you not had it long enough to run the AC. Did it work before?

That may be stupid, surely Miss. has been way hot by now.
    Not so funny thing is I'm in my basement on my PC next to my Goodman!

I got the owners manual: Troubleshooting,
    clean indoor coil and filter.
    Clean OUTDOOR coil! You ain't throwed grass in it?
    Check return duct. No gun safe sitting on it?
    Reclaim, filter, recharge unit...uggh
    Remove obstruction to expansion device or change it out.

Hope that helps.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

You will probably need to set some gauges on it to diagnose a little better. Expansion valve restricted will drop the low side and raise the high side. Same basics as automotive AC. Too much or too little Freon will cause reduced cooling. The A coil and the condensor being clean are the first things to check. If you've done that, then gauges to see how the compressor and expansion valve are working. The fan drawing air over the condensor getting weak will cause a reduced cooling. The high side pipe will be hot while the low side will be cold enough to sweat.
    SS
    Yo COG # 1002

How do I know for sure when the coils are clean? I can shine a light through them so I thought they were now clean.
    As for the pressure, with an outside temp of 74 degrees, I had a low side reading of 55 psi (39 in Hg vac) and a high side of 190 psi (97). As of two weeks ago, it had correct pressures according to the a/c guy. I had gone a month without air so it took a while to get the humidity out of the house but it hasn't cooled like it should. The air out of the vent isn't much cooler than what it's taking in.
    The fan and heater was replaced at the beginning of last winter.
    Last edited by pidaster; 06-10-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Add

What is the output tempture of the air off the "A" coil. That would tell you if the expansion valve is working right. It should be in the fifty degree area some where, Your low side pressure should be at that pressure/tempture range too.

The A coil is hard to tell. Light through it means its not plugged but may be dirty unless you can see through it. Try a small mirror.
    Is it a R22 unit? I don't do R22 enough to remember the pressures. I have a chart at the shop for R22 pressures at the different ambient temps I can check tomorrow. If I remember correct, you should have a 20 degree difference in air temp between the intake to discharge on a good working unit. I'll hit my brother up on it also. He messes with those more than I and been to school on them.
    SS
    Yo COG # 1002